Manx Forum's MHKs - We Need You to do What's Right

28 minutes ago, rachomics said:

My problem with this approch is that when the following press release made the news the slant taken with the release was "Look how much we've had to spend to defend against that money-grabbing doctor". £37k is an absolute pittance in the big scheme of things. 

https://www.manxradio.com/news/isle-of-man-news/dhscs-tribunal-legal-costs-exceed-37000/

£37k was far lower a cost than I expected the DHSC to be paying to defend such a case. It's a pretty small amount of money.

How much the proceedings cost the Isle of Man Government is secondary to why those costs had to be incurred in the first place. As I've said before on Facebook: listening to Dr. Ranson would have cost considerably less than any tribunal. And we're not just talking loss of £££ here. We're talking loss of life.

I expect our MHKs (and you're *my* MHK, by the way) to be drumming up all-hell about this judgement and the way in which it spotlights how our Ministers ignored the UK-trained, consummate professionals with regards to the COVID response. Don't be fooled with "we couldn't have known" or "unprecedented times".

Unlike Jersey, Guernsey and other small countries, the Isle of Man was lucky enough - by complete chance and entirely fortuitiously - to have the calibre of experienced professionals (typically found in the UK) such as me and Dr. Ranson *on Manx soil* at the start of the pandemic, yet the IoM Government and Civil Service response was:

"Burn the Witch". 

We need to move beyond the 1600s style responses. 

According to the press story.. £37k so far…

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
9 minutes ago, Twitch said:

According to the press story.. £37k so far…

Even so, I'd expect the legal cost for the DHSC alone to top £1M. They'll likely also have to pay Dr. Ranson's/BMA legal costs too, given the outcome of the Judgement. 

It really depends on how much cost you attribute to a COVID death? How much do you think a Manx life is worth?

The genomic analyses showed exactly how many transmission chains would have been prevented had COMIN closed the border when requested by the consultants at Nobles via Dr. Ranson. 

Sound bites and opinions from Ministers don't cut it in the 21st Century (compared to Manx Politics "of old").

Data, Documents and Science will *always* prove the accurate picture. 

Edited by rachomics
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Non-Believer said:

Sub Judice my arse. The only thing sub judice is any settlement and/or NDA to be wrangled with Dr Ranson.

Mr Callister seems to buy any old line he’s told. As you say the report has been published. The case is over and a verdict has been reached. All that’s outstanding is the settlement. There may well be criminal cases (hopefully) arising from the forging of documents etc but that’s an entirely separate matter. 

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Steady Eddie said:

Mr Callister seems to buy any old line he’s told. As you say the report has been published. The case is over and a verdict has been reached. All that’s outstanding is the settlement. There may well be criminal cases (hopefully) arising from the forging of documents etc but that’s an entirely separate matter. 

Over-reliance on what he is told?

4 minutes ago, Gladys said:

Over-reliance on what he is told?

He's just toe-ing the line. Still in with a chance of a Ministership doncha know...?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, rachomics said:

£37k was far lower a cost than I expected the DHSC to be paying to defend such a case. It's a pretty small amount of money.

That's because if you look at the FoI they refused to respond to the question asked (which was about the amount paid to their QC) they just gave a figure for the total to date (14 March).  Given that the hearing only finished on 11 February (and took ten hearing days, never mind the rest) I would imagine that most of the bills hadn't come in by then, including Mr Boyd's.  Manx Radio fell for this, but there will be many times more that to come, including the cost of the Tribunal itself who had to do extra work after the hearing because of the disclosure problems.  

What is more, hidden away at the end of the Decision is this:

848. Mr Segal has flagged already that he would perhaps be seeking a costs sanction, something on which the Tribunal makes no observation at this stage.

Normally in such cases both sides pay their own legal costs.  If the Tribunal finds that defending the case was pointless, they might well decide to order the Government to pay Ranson's/the BMA's costs.

And this will all be additional to all the internal costs the Government has racked up.  Which they tell us they can never give a figure for because unlike every other lawyers' office in the world, the AG's Office don't keep timesheets.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

1 minute ago, Roger Mexico said:

That's because if you look at the FoI they refused to respond to the question asked (which was about the amount paid to their QC) they just gave a figure for the total to date (14 March). 

Like qualified and experienced PhDs and MDs, QC's cost a significant amount of money. The better bet is to not need a PhD/MD/QC in the first place. 

6 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

And this will all be additional to all the internal costs the Government has racked up.  Which they tell us they can never give a figure for because unlike every other lawyers' office in the world, the AG's Office don't keep timesheets.

Dear Lord. Even our lab assistant fills in a timesheet. 

Consider that noted for future reference. 

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, Non-Believer said:

He's just toe-ing the line. Still in with a chance of a Ministership doncha know...?

What we have now is backbenchers who won’t even rock the boat despite the fact that they’re paid the same as those on Comin. What’s the point of having backbenchers when we have the biggest issue to blow up in about 25 years and only Thomas and Glover who are prepared to at least question the situation on social media? Callister has a range of options open to him as a back bencher rather than coming on an anonymous forum to justify his lack of action. But presumably he doesn’t want to blot his copy book with Alf Cannan in case a big boys job comes up at some stage. The silence is literally deafening across the board. It’s pathetic really and shows you the sort of people we are dealing with. Manx Labour are literally a disgrace in they way they’ve swerved this. 

Worse still is the continuing wall of silence from the fake upper house that is Legco. You can’t even call them has-beens as you’d actually have to have been something before you became a has-been. But do any of them even turn up for work? They’re a shower of absolute crap costing us about £60k a year per head to achieve nothing. Do something you overpaid under worked losers. 

• Like 8

3 hours ago, Ghost Ship said:

Excuse me @Rob Callister - but how do you know it is correct that "the matter" is still sub judice?

Presumably somebody has told you that it is?  Did you not ask that person to explain why it remained sub judice?

He didn't think it was Sub Judice a few days ago.1936385393_ScreenShot2022-05-14at18_18_07.png.66e0db9dcee4f52263899f48709095c9.png1022865195_ScreenShot2022-05-14at18_17_43.png.ea7fe72594af2a4ad0e18595c635cf54.png

• Haha 1

20 hours ago, Chef Raekwon said:

Only unpalatable in the sense that the UK is now one of the most corrupt nations on the planet.

I'd have no reservations about an external country coming in to sort our shit out in principle, just the idea of the UK being that country right now is laughable.

Rubbish. You need only look at some other nations to see how laughable the comparison is. How about Russia, for example?

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Augustus said:

Rubbish. You need only look at some other nations to see how laughable the comparison is. How about Russia, for example?

Problem is, the UK is the only nation we can look to.