Steam Packet Sponsorship

Just watching the NW200 on the IPlayer. Nice to see the Steam Packet have got cash to throw around. I suppose it's a good business move. Get one over on the competition, you know. 

8 minutes ago, ManxTaxPayer said:

That's probably more justifiable than subbing motorsport in Ireland. 

I think you'll find that Conor and Davey Todd race for Padgett's, or is it ok for Conor to be sponsored by the racket boat, and you're making it into a race thing !? 

20220514_211302.jpg

• Like 1

I actually admire your dedication to this.  It was Manx Gas a few years ago and now it's the Steam Packet.

Personally I think that when you break down the amount they're paying in sponsorship compared to the amount of money they're dealing with that the sponsorship amount is neglible and makes no difference as far as the GMP are concerned.  But I know that the financial aspect is not your real concern here and this is just a front for a more geneal anti-TT stance.

Would probably have more respect for you if you just started a massive anti-TT thread though and laid down your reasons for it.  A good faith debate on the whole thing would be good, but unfortunately everyone is too cunty and snide for that.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, ManxTaxPayer said:

Just watching the NW200 on the IPlayer. Nice to see the Steam Packet have got cash to throw around. I suppose it's a good business move. Get one over on the competition, you know. 

Well I think we need some perspective on this before coming to any judgement.

Can you let us know how much the Steam Packet has paid for this sponsorship.?

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Chef Raekwon said:

I actually admire your dedication to this.  It was Manx Gas a few years ago and now it's the Steam Packet.

Personally I think that when you break down the amount they're paying in sponsorship compared to the amount of money they're dealing with that the sponsorship amount is neglible and makes no difference as far as the GMP are concerned.  But I know that the financial aspect is not your real concern here and this is just a front for a more geneal anti-TT stance.

Would probably have more respect for you if you just started a massive anti-TT thread though and laid down your reasons for it.  A good faith debate on the whole thing would be good, but unfortunately everyone is too cunty and snide for that.  

Why do either offer sponsorship?

They're both monopoly suppliers in their respective markets. GMP has no choice but to use their services... 

Save the money and cut costs.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

I know that if you took a horsebox across and said you were competing in this or that, you used to - and probably do - get subsidised journeys.

Which boils my piss. If you can afford a horse, stabling, horsebox etc etc

• Like 4

13 hours ago, Mr. Sausages said:

Smart move from the steam packet.  If they didn’t get their name out there through sponsorship people would end up using the other ferry services.  

You laugh, but in the context of Ireland (where this advertising is aimed at) that's exactly what they do have.  No one forces bikers to come to the Isle of Man and indeed they would be wiser trying to get them to come for other events or even when there's no formal racing.  So this may actually work in attracting more business for the Steam Packet.  And maybe by reassuring bikers that they're putting money into their sport it might soften the hurt of those infamous prices.  Or not.

So this might actually be useful marketing from them.  Never mind I'm sure normal service will be resumed as soon as possible.