Ashford: Should he stay or should he go?

Newsdesk

Ashford: Should he stay or should he go?   

136 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 06/30/2022 at 08:57 AM

Posted (edited)
38 minutes ago, finlo said:

First rule when employed by IOM government is to never employ or listen to anyone more intelligent than yourself.

Because part of the culture for some is that there is no-one more intelligent than yourself....?

Edited by Non-Believer
Typo

24 minutes ago, Capt_Mainwaring said:

In my view the qualification(s) are irrelevant IF the person is right for the role (unless a specific qualification is required of course).

Also, in my experience people can interview well and then turn out to be incapable of performing the role.

Just a shame it has ended up here when some better leadership could have given a better outcome. 

Time for some big changes, hopefully starting tomorrow.

As with many other professional qualifications there are some real deadheads who hold an MBA. Unfortunately what natters is performance in the job which cannot be assessed before the office holder is appointed and his/her competence can be judged properly. If their suitability for the post is found to be insufficient then their survival depends on the inertia or otherwise displayed by those in chage of the hiring and firing.

9 minutes ago, ubbiali said:

As with many other professional qualifications there are some real deadheads who hold an MBA. Unfortunately what natters is performance in the job which cannot be assessed before the office holder is appointed and his/her competence can be judged properly. If their suitability for the post is found to be insufficient then their survival depends on the inertia or otherwise displayed by those in chage of the hiring and firing.

Or - and most importantly in my view - the coaching, mentoring and leadership skills of the leaders in the department/team. If that ultimately leads to dismissal, then so be it - that's part and parcel of being in a senior management position. 

25 minutes ago, Capt_Mainwaring said:

Or - and most importantly in my view - the coaching, mentoring and leadership skills of the leaders in the department/team. If that ultimately leads to dismissal, then so be it - that's part and parcel of being in a senior management position. 

I don`t dispute that. Perhaps I should have said "....their survival or otherwise...."

I think we agree that the responsibility rests with those charged with the hiring and firing. Whether or not that responsibility is shirked is another matter, it would appear that inertia rules in certain areas.

It seems there's a lack of accountability for poor performance. The deckchairs just get rearranged. True leaders make the tough decisions. Also, if you employ the right people with the right work ethic in the first place it helps.

The current problems seem deep rooted. It needs someone to go in and make sweeping changes - I've seen it where I am and it's hard for employees initially, but it makes a massive difference to morale, productivity and overall performance. 

The current profligacy cannot go on.

• Like 6

The tax payers should be getting a sincere apology for the continued mismanagement and waste of public funds of which this sorry saga is just a part !

Others have opined the Government are not fit for office, and I would certainly agree on a monetary basis, no they are not !

We will find out today just how Mr Cannan views his roll, either as a representative of the electorate and their interests, or as a human shield for the Government, Civil Service and it's malpractices !

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, quilp said:

What will today bring into the realm of Manx politics? Swift, concise action or slow, contrived apologetics?

All eyes/ears on Alf...

i've tried, but i can't get any body to accept a bet on the latter.

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, Capt_Mainwaring said:

It seems there's a lack of accountability for poor performance. The deckchairs just get rearranged. True leaders make the tough decisions. Also, if you employ the right people with the right work ethic in the first place it helps.

The current problems seem deep rooted. It needs someone to go in and make sweeping changes - I've seen it where I am and it's hard for employees initially, but it makes a massive difference to morale, productivity and overall performance. 

The current profligacy cannot go on.

The problem is that all these points have been apparent (and discussed) for at least the last ten years but Govt has continued to stagger from one embarrassment to the next without any care or accountability, merely a promise that, "lessons will be learned" on each occasion that it has been found wanting.

That an issue of this magnitude with its attendant ramifications has now arisen is going to be a litmus test for those who purport to govern this Island. Let us see how much fudge this generates.

• Thanks 3

1 hour ago, quilp said:

What will today bring into the realm of Manx politics? Swift, concise action or slow, contrived apologetics?

All eyes/ears on Alf...

When is his statement? 

I need to get my coffee ready. 

• Haha 2

7 minutes ago, Roxanne said:

When is his statement? 

I need to get my coffee ready. 

The sitting begins at 10.30am on MR 1368mhz though no specific time given relating to when this particular item is being broadcast.

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, Bandits said:

Exactly it needs to happen. He clearly has no integrity at all. 

I think we can establish quite clearly that Ashford is a man of absolutely zero integrity but then again he is so deluded by his own public persona that he can’t possibly believe that he has anything he needs to resign for. He’s so far down his own NLP loop of self delusion there is literally no hope. 

• Like 1