Oil pollution in Peel harbour has it been detected ?

Omobono

For some time now there has been oil pollution in Peel upper harbour  which last weekend required the services of the Coastguard ,and detergent being sprayed  by the harbour keeper ,  to try to  break down the  film of oil on the water 

this is not new by any means and regularly there is oil and diesel pollution visible on the water ,  given the migrating birds are nesting and the shellfish in the outer harbour is being polluted  then eaten by wildlife  does anyone know if the source of the pollution has been discovered , there are rumours abound and the Environment  department and wildlife officers have been very quiet , given the Islands biosphere status this is a dreadful thing to be happening , apparently on a fairly regular basis   anybody willing to blow the whistle !

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, quilp said:

They've decided to not release the effluent at low tide. It's even worse if that's what has been taking place...

https://www.three.fm/news/isle-of-man-news/mua-confirms-changes-to-peels-sewage-output/

Technically it's only going to be pumped out on receding tide (as opposed to an incoming one) rather than when there's a high tide as opposed to a low one.  The idea presumably being that the tide will carry the effluent away with it.  The fact that the water authority had to have this explained to them is rather telling.

As for the Manx government keeping quiet about pollution in Peel, surely such a thing would never happen?

(Does anyone know what happened about the Kevin Kennington hearing, by the way?)

• Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

Technically it's only going to be pumped out on receding tide (as opposed to an incoming one) rather than when there's a high tide as opposed to a low one.  The idea presumably being that the tide will carry the effluent away with it.  The fact that the water authority had to have this explained to them is rather telling.

As for the Manx government keeping quiet about pollution in Peel, surely such a thing would never happen?

(Does anyone know what happened about the Kevin Kennington hearing, by the way?)

Unfortunately this is what I always thought was happening; only on the outgoing tide!

Regarding the Oil Pollution, it seems to happen a lot in Peel.  I posted somewhere on here last year after noticing it also.  Musing something along the lines of 'why do the dolphins seem to favour the most polluted beach on the Island, dripping in sewage and oil?'.  I've gotten really sick a couple of times in the sea at Peel and frankly avoid going in the sea there now. 

In relation to the latest report on the oil, I'm sure I saw somewhere that it had been detected coming out of one of the rainwater drains that enters the harbour, so it could literally be entering the system anywhere in Peel, so tracing it would be pretty difficult. 

Posted (edited)

He a good lad and a clever marine scientist Kevin, been shit on by those above him for whistleblowing from what I’ve heard, unless the rotten apples within the system are held to account god help this island going forward.

Edited by GreyWolf

31 minutes ago, TheTeapot said:

Publication due soon. You're going to love it.

Let me guess....

Expert highlights concerns that something is not right to IOM Govt Dept.  Civil servant jobsworth boss disagrees despite actually having no expertise in the area, then together with additional trolls, bullies and forces expert out of job, whilst trying to smear and discredit expert?

IOM Govt states that lessons will be learned and an investigation will take place; likely costing huge amounts and requiring additional staff employment. 

Basically insert 'Peel Harbour' instead of 'IOM Covid Response'. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

3 minutes ago, The Phantom said:

Let me guess....

Expert highlights concerns that something is not right to IOM Govt Dept.  Civil servant jobsworth boss disagrees despite actually having no expertise in the area, then together with additional trolls, bullies and forces expert out of job, whilst trying to smear and discredit expert?

IOM Govt states that lessons will be learned and an investigation will take place; likely costing huge amounts and requiring additional staff employment. 

Basically insert 'Peel Harbour' instead of 'IOM Covid Response'. 

I actually have no idea, i was only half joking cos its Roger, and he always loves those kind of things. But if I was to guess, I'd say you're probably spot on.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, TheTeapot said:

I actually have no idea, i was only half joking cos its Roger, and he always loves those kind of things. But if I was to guess, I'd say you're probably spot on.

I'm learning that jokes you make about Govt that initially seem flippant regarding their incompetence and/or back stabbing seem to come true. 

It would be funny but.... 

2 hours ago, TheTeapot said:

Aww, I'm disappointed I thought you had some proper skeet.  I was wondering if the tribunal had actually taken place or if it had been deferred again. as the government so love to do.

Of course we do know quite a bit of what went on as Kennington tried to get the government to release the Roberts Report which the tribunal refused on legal grounds, while making sure that all the good bits appeared in their ruling anyway.