St Johns crossing death

Spotted on social media following the tragic death on that stupid crossing that is now gone from St Johns.

This island, and specifically anything linked to government, is a disgrace.

Some bad news today but not unexpected. After the hearing was held in to Luke’s death, my family were so hurt and disgusted about what came out in court. I was unable to attend but my husband and some friends did. We were already aware that the DOI could not be prosecuted as under IOM law you are unable to prosecute a company. 

The inquest was held on a Friday and afterwards we were approached by the media for our thoughts on the case. The following Monday the attorney general’s office contacted us and asked that we don’t put anything on social media or talk to anyone about Luke’s case as they were going to try and raise  a criminal case on the grounds of health and safety. Today after months of trying to get an answer as to the findings. We finally found out today that the safety review said there wasn’t a case to answer.

In court the DOI were asked why they fixed the gates in place just a week after Luke’s death. They said they just thought it was the right thing to do. My husband asked why they weren’t fixed in place before and they said it was always the plan but they didn’t get around to it. If the gates were fixed in place luke would be alive.

Also they said there had been no complaints about the crossing but I heard from loads of people who had complained by e-Mail in writing and by telephone.

There was also a report produced prior to putting the crossing down that you should not have a 40 mile speed limit over any sort of pattern on the road.

There were many more points raised. Also the pink patterned crossing has now been removed despite it apparently being perfectly safe.

This has dragged on for months and taken it’s toll on us all. We are extremely upset at the findings. Luke lost his promising future, his siblings have lost a brother. I am not a shadow of the person I was. I suffer anxiety, I worry all the time over my family. My heart is totally broken, I have been in counseling to help with PTSD and complex grief.I have cried every single day. We all miss Luke and his huge personality so much and to get this news just makes me wonder whether it was just to put us off talking to the media. My husband had agreed to do this before we were asked not to pending a further possible trial.

I haven’t been able to work since the day it happened and have not received income support as grief is not an illness apparently. I have never felt so depressed in my whole life. I am ashamed to say I contemplated  taking my own life so many times. The only thing that has kept me going is my family and good friends 

Not even an apology, just our lives broken and battered. It’s as if Luke’s life was expendable to these people. 

I am sorry for the long rant, but I won’t be silenced anymore. If you know anyone else that complained about the crossing before it was changed. I will be interested to hear them.

Luke should be still here and there is a big gaping hole in our lives without him. 💔💔

B49DE819-646C-484D-AD79-760A2F041A68.jpeg

Posted (edited)

That's heartbreaking and the behaviour of the AG's Office is both inexcusable and completely predictable.  They really do see themselves as mainly concerned with safeguarding their fellow civil servants from any responsibility and anyone who wants justice can whistle for it, if it conflicts with that.  This was clearly just a way of keeping the family and friends quiet till the thing had blown over.

I have to point out again that if the BBC hadn't had a reporter at the inquest, we would never have heard about it.  Despite the Coroner making recommendations, her findings never appeared on the website.  And whatever happened to the "road safety audit into the crossing, consult[ing] with partner agencies including the police" that the DoI were supposed to have carried out.

Edited by Roger Mexico
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 7

This is Government all over, never any liability/responsibility taken, so people can happily play around with stupid vanity projects without fear of any repercussions . DOI were never going to accept any liability/responsibility sadly.

The fact the crossing was removed, gates installed and more signage warning of the traffic crossing ahead are all very telling though, so who on earth signed it off without them in first place? The paint on the road should have been the very last thing that was done, in a world of H&S it’s amazing making something look pretty takes priority over making something safe.

Heartbreaking to read.

I raised a online DOI Health and Safety Reporting Form when I nearly hit a a jogger who ran straight out onto this "crossing" through the open gate one evening. I still shudder when thinking about it. Never heard anything back.

19 minutes ago, Ghost Ship said:

Mrs Perry should contact somebody like* The Guardian and ask them to cover this.  Haven't they already done an article on the Dr Ranson article?

*  Or Private Eye.  

The family should contact a lawyer about legal action for incompetence & out an FOI in to establish what complaints had been received about crossing.

Also the local media at least will cover unless senior civil servants have applied pressure again 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Banker said:

The family should contact a lawyer about legal action for incompetence & out an FOI in to establish what complaints had been received about crossing.

Also the local media at least will cover unless senior civil servants have applied pressure again 

When the crossing was first unveiled the DOI was responding to concerns being voiced on Facebook, the general consensus was to wait and see rather than be a Debbie Downer about something newly unveiled, much like the red and black Kirk Michael crossing or the idiotic roundels. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Youaintseenme said:

The following Monday the attorney general’s office contacted us and asked that we don’t put anything on social media or talk to anyone about Luke’s case as they were going to try and raise  a criminal case on the grounds of health and safety. Today after months of trying to get an answer as to the findings. We finally found out today that the safety review said there wasn’t a case to answer.

This is shameful. 

• Like 2

Victoria Street to HSBC needs looking at such as installing a pedestrian crossing controlled with traffic lights.

Government said "we will reconsider when someone is knocked over" 

Well, they actually said "no accidents have taken place so no need"

5 minutes ago, snowman said:

Victoria Street to HSBC needs looking at such as installing a pedestrian crossing controlled with traffic lights.

Government said "we will reconsider when someone is knocked over" 

Well, they actually said "no accidents have taken place so no need"

I have to say I have crossed that road hundreds of times in varying levels of pissedness ranging from stone cold sober to extremely, and never had an issue

10 minutes ago, Youaintseenme said:

I have to say I have crossed that road hundreds of times in varying levels of pissedness ranging from stone cold sober to extremely, and never had an issue

Won't somebody think of the kids

• Confused 1