Quality of MHKs

Gladys

Over some years, many have observed that the quality of MHKs, particularly those appointed to Ministerial positions, has deteriorated and my question is what can be done about it?

Is it that the balance of power between COMIN and backbenchers is unequal so there is no effective scrutiny or accountability? 

Is it the way in which the CM is appointed who then appoints his own "cabinet" leading to a huge amount of power in one person?

Is it the lack of true party politics? I can see many arguments for PP improving quality, not least because of a party wide manifesto, and internal standards within the party itself. (Please don't raise the current UK situation, over the years the party system has served quite well with swings between left and right as each leaning replaces the other which has swung too far, righting the balance.)

Is it that MHKs are paid, or paid too much? Were MHKs paid in the days of the likes of Miles Walker et al?  If so, was it so substantial that it could replace other relatively lowly paid employment?  

Is it complacency in the electorate?  Sometimes it seems like we are fiercely defensive of our constitutional status against outsiders, but we don't apply the same defensive attitude in our choice of those either standing or elected.

It may be a combination of these factors, and there may well be more.  It is also not to say that all the current MHKs are naive or useless, but those who have anything about them are often drowned out by being a lone voice amongst the rest; they make their point but nothing changes.

• Like 7

Imo we don't pay enough, there should be less but much higher renumeration, you just might get some candidates worth voting for then !

Anyone who should be running/overseeing anything involving budgets of millions and many staff, if suitably qualified and experienced, wouldn't have the slightest interest in being an MHK !

It is not a general criticism of anyone, but for some to think they have the necessary skills is just laughable. 

• Like 4

I don’t think the quality of MHKs has ever been fantastic, I look back to the Phil Kermode days as a point of recent reference. 

They have greater responsibility now, back in the day council took care of the busses, the water and the electric. 

Alf & Chris are good, we need more people like them :)

• Like 4

It's a big ask for a population less than a market town in the UK to generate 24 quality politicians, never mind all the associated hangers-on. Couple that with the pay and the social media harassment and we're not likely to get the best thinkers and doers - they'd be far more likely to seek employment elsewhere than take such an unattractive proposition, so we get politically-motivated-but-poorly-equipped and the nutjobs. Reducing the numbers would seem like an answer but then you run the risk of machiavellian characters gaining undue influence. There's no easy answer. UK could step in perhaps, but that means a loss of independence, death of the economy and a relegation to the back of the queue for everything - better governance of an empty island. We need to make politics attractive, stop the harassment which punishes people for taking political office, develop the right skills in young people, and build connections with other jurisdictions whom we can consult (without too many jollies). 

• Like 4

44 minutes ago, Gladys said:

Is it complacency in the electorate?  Sometimes it seems like we are fiercely defensive of our constitutional status against outsiders, but we don't apply the same defensive attitude in our choice of those either standing or elected.

Not complacency,  just a very poor choice.

7 minutes ago, De nada said:

Not complacency,  just a very poor choice.

But isn't that borne of complacency? "Oh, he seems a nice chap" and that's it, nominated, seconded and in.  

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Dave Hedgehog said:

Larger population size doesn't mean better quality candidates. 

Look at the UK Prime Minister for example. 

But there are many very competent MPs, much as I hate him for BREXIT George Eustace (my MP) could run rings around Tynwald with ease.

A problem with a small island is that those with any 'getup and go' will generally do just that, I can think of a couple from my year at Albert Road who could run the Island but haven't been back for years.

• Thanks 2

For a public school and University/Military educated person, CM Cannan sadly lacks the morals needed for the islands representative on the world stage. The old school politicians had charm and also the deference, along with in some cases the silver spoon. Whilst it is good, that politicos are coming from diverse backgrounds, and have many strings to their bow, some are following in a family dynasty (and it leads to accusations of cronyism and nepotism). Some politicians are merely buffoons and boorish oafs, and some egotistical wrapped up in their sense of worth. 

1 hour ago, Gladys said:

It may be a combination of these factors, and there may well be more.  It is also not to say that all the current MHKs are naive or useless, but those who have anything about them are often drowned out by being a lone voice amongst the rest; they make their point but nothing changes.

Stand yourself then. It’s free.

41 minutes ago, 2112 said:

For a public school and University/Military educated person, CM Cannan sadly lacks the morals needed for the islands representative on the world stage. 

his dad will have told him how the game is played, and lo and behold he is now captain of the team

• Like 1

The quality is mixed. It’s this whole “standing to hold Govt to account” thing that really gets me. FFS if you are standing it should be because you feel that you can play a part in the day to day running of the Island. We only have 24 from whom to form a CoMin. Also as we hAve seen this week some of those that were going to hold Govt to account have been pretty silent.

• Like 1

Govt. is still too big, too many.

Again, all island elections of maybe 10 MHKs, no legislative council and maybe 4 or none local commisioners.

lets get it more efficient and user friendly this time around.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 4

1 hour ago, GD4ELI said:

But there are many very competent MPs, much as I hate him for BREXIT George Eustace (my MP) could run rings around Tynwald with ease.

Lol. Eustice (note spelling) has consistently shown himself to be a fuckwit. Partygate apologist, Owen Paterson, value brands etc etc. Not for nothing he's called George Useless. Competent he ain't. 

• Like 1