Jump to content

Surgeon’s and surgery


Manx17
 Share

Recommended Posts

It came to my attention yesterday after speaking to a friend I hadn’t seen for quite a while, that his wife has been waiting for gyno surgery for nearly two year. Where symptoms have been so bad, she has lost her job, as they couldn’t keep her job open.

As the island has had a lot of cancellations in operations and treatment since covid. Are we as tax payers still paying surgeon’s salaries for daily surgeries to be on standby for emergencies only? If so how can that be right and what are government doing to rectify it as soon as possible.Especially if the ones suffering have to give up their jobs leaving them as a family worse off. It would be interesting to know how many people are affected in this way on the island. There have been many mistakes in government, the latest around top medical staff. It would be good to know that this latest  wrong doing will not take all the energy and be misleading.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 minutes ago, Manx17 said:

It came to my attention yesterday after speaking to a friend I hadn’t seen for quite a while, that his wife has been waiting for gyno surgery for nearly two year. Where symptoms have been so bad, she has lost her job, as they couldn’t keep her job open.

As the island has had a lot of cancellations in operations and treatment since covid. Are we as tax payers still paying surgeon’s salaries for daily surgeries to be on standby for emergencies only? If so how can that be right and what are government doing to rectify it as soon as possible.Especially if the ones suffering have to give up their jobs leaving them as a family worse off. It would be interesting to know how many people are affected in this way on the island. There have been many mistakes in government, the latest around top medical staff. It would be good to know that this latest  wrong doing will not take all the energy and be misleading.

You are assuming that the surgeons don't do anything else, here most gynae surgeons are also obstetricians and their work never stops even with a falling birth rate.

Also surgeons can only operate if given theatre time by the organisation.

I'm sure thats no comfort to your friends wife, but there's a lot more to it that blaming the surgeon.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, The Chief said:

You are assuming that the surgeons don't do anything else, here most gynae surgeons are also obstetricians and their work never stops even with a falling birth rate.

Also surgeons can only operate if given theatre time by the organisation.

I'm sure thats no comfort to your friends wife, but there's a lot more to it that blaming the surgeon.

I haven’t blamed the surgeons, consultants Doctors and nurses can only do what they can do, it is the governments responsibility. Every body deserves treatment, 

  • Thanks 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, ManxTaxPayer said:

Grocer's and err, grocery. 

Perhaps the surgery belongs to the surgeon? 

2 hours ago, Manx17 said:

Are we as tax payers still paying surgeon’s salaries

But then again, it may be something to do with a surgeon's salary rather than a number of surgeons' salaries?

It's only an apostrophe. Who cares? The taxpayers? (One word, not even hyphenated!!)

Edited by monasqueen
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, 2bees said:

Things were a lot better in the olden days.

Aye we had lots of things in them days
They haven't got today
Rickets, Diptheria, Hitler, and
By we did look well going to school with no backsides in us trousers n
All us little heads painted Purple cause we had Ringworm

They Dunt Know theyre Born Today!!!!

  • Haha 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, Manx17 said:

It came to my attention yesterday after speaking to a friend I hadn’t seen for quite a while, that his wife has been waiting for gyno surgery for nearly two year. Where symptoms have been so bad, she has lost her job, as they couldn’t keep her job open.

As the island has had a lot of cancellations in operations and treatment since covid. Are we as tax payers still paying surgeon’s salaries for daily surgeries to be on standby for emergencies only? If so how can that be right and what are government doing to rectify it as soon as possible.Especially if the ones suffering have to give up their jobs leaving them as a family worse off. It would be interesting to know how many people are affected in this way on the island. There have been many mistakes in government, the latest around top medical staff. It would be good to know that this latest  wrong doing will not take all the energy and be misleading.

Waiting lists for everything have been wild for years and got worse with covid. I'm not one for defending the government but it should be noted that steps have been taken to address some of it, its been spoken about on here a fair bit. As an example there is this https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-isle-of-man-60199465 and wrighty has spoken positively about the team that has been installed to help him and his colleagues get on with their jobs in some other thread. 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On average, about 30% of my working week is in the operating theatre, about a third of which is emergencies/trauma. Most surgical specialties are similar. There is some variation, and as already pointed out gynaecologists also deliver babies. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

55 minutes ago, wrighty said:

On average, about 30% of my working week is in the operating theatre, about a third of which is emergencies/trauma. Most surgical specialties are similar. There is some variation, and as already pointed out gynaecologists also deliver babies. 

So are you saying it is right people should be left to suffer after it was the surgeon that noted they needed surgery?

A minister has voted  for assisted dying, where I agree that if terminal people shouldn’t suffer and should have the right to choose , but shouldn’t individuals be able to get treated before getting to that stage?or is this the new going forward for government. Don’t treat then shut them up.

Shouldn’t it be treat everyone and if everything fails then they be assisted in dying if they wish.

Or maybe they should be honest to people. There is going to be a very long wait and your symptoms may get worse, so go private before loosing your job. As they might close the ward down if and when government decides to open the border and ease restrictions and they have to open the covid ward again. 

What’s wrong with honesty?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, Manx17 said:

It came to my attention yesterday after speaking to a friend I hadn’t seen for quite a while, that his wife has been waiting for gyno surgery for nearly two year. Where symptoms have been so bad, she has lost her job, as they couldn’t keep her job open.

As the island has had a lot of cancellations in operations and treatment since covid. Are we as tax payers still paying surgeon’s salaries for daily surgeries to be on standby for emergencies only? If so how can that be right and what are government doing to rectify it as soon as possible.Especially if the ones suffering have to give up their jobs leaving them as a family worse off. It would be interesting to know how many people are affected in this way on the island. There have been many mistakes in government, the latest around top medical staff. It would be good to know that this latest  wrong doing will not take all the energy and be misleading.

Whilst I can appreciate the difficulty of waiting for operation when in pain surely it would have been financially better to go private rather than give up a job & have no income?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
14 minutes ago, Banker said:

Whilst I can appreciate the difficulty of waiting for operation when in pain surely it would have been financially better to go private rather than give up a job & have no income?

It would of been a better option to go private your right . But if you think after discussing major surgery with a consultant and your not informed of the wait. You think  it’s going to be preformed when they say it is and not cancelled time and time again. Your job is already gone and going private isn’t an option anymore. I’m in no way blaming surgeons as they have done their job on finding out  the person needs that operation. They only have two hands.

Government must realise it’s important to treat people. It’s not right what’s happening. 

Edited by Manx17
  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

37 minutes ago, Manx17 said:

So are you saying it is right people should be left to suffer after it was the surgeon that noted they needed surgery?

What’s wrong with honesty?

No, of course not. I’m really not sure how my previous response could be interpreted like that. 
 

With regard to assisted dying, you are conflating two issues. Most people on waiting lists (6.4 million in the UK) are not dying, and won’t die while waiting. They may be in pain, which of course nobody wants, but the NHS, here and across, has a massive discrepancy between demand and capacity, made much worse (from a poor starting position) by the pandemic. Government here and across are doing their best to recover the position, but it’s virtually impossible. It’ll realistically take years. 
 

I’m all for honesty. See above. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 minutes ago, wrighty said:

No, of course not. I’m really not sure how my previous response could be interpreted like that. 
 

With regard to assisted dying, you are conflating two issues. Most people on waiting lists (6.4 million in the UK) are not dying, and won’t die while waiting. They may be in pain, which of course nobody wants, but the NHS, here and across, has a massive discrepancy between demand and capacity, made much worse (from a poor starting position) by the pandemic. Government here and across are doing their best to recover the position, but it’s virtually impossible. It’ll realistically take years. 
 

I’m all for honesty. See above. 

I wasn’t having a go at you my writing is probably coming across that way sorry.

if you work at the hospital how many beds are being taken up at the moment with elderly people needing nursing or residential homes? Has that issue been resolved? As I’m sure it’s not just gynaecology it will be in other departments too. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...