Jump to content

Surgeon’s and surgery


Manx17
 Share

Recommended Posts

28 minutes ago, Manx17 said:

I wasn’t having a go at you my writing is probably coming across that way sorry.

if you work at the hospital how many beds are being taken up at the moment with elderly people needing nursing or residential homes? Has that issue been resolved? As I’m sure it’s not just gynaecology it will be in other departments too. 

I can, if you like, do you a detailed response explaining why I believe the NHS model of healthcare is broken, and will get worse in the coming years, but I’ll need a keyboard and I don’t have one right now. 
 

To answer your specific question - across the whole hospital, I don’t know, but on the orthopaedic ward there were about 6 patients who didn’t need specialist orthopaedic care but were waiting for some form of definitive care package/placement. And this issue is only going to get worse in the coming years. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

40 minutes ago, wrighty said:

I can, if you like, do you a detailed response explaining why I believe the NHS model of healthcare is broken, and will get worse in the coming years, but I’ll need a keyboard and I don’t have one right now. 
 

To answer your specific question - across the whole hospital, I don’t know, but on the orthopaedic ward there were about 6 patients who didn’t need specialist orthopaedic care but were waiting for some form of definitive care package/placement. And this issue is only going to get worse in the coming years. 

It would be good to see some honestly and see what is actually happening thank you.

It is also disgusting our elderly are treated in such a way and don’t have a home. They have probably paid into the system most of their adult life , unless they have moved here later in life to retire, and I’m sure they don’t want to be stuck in a hospital. It’s a very sad and difficult situation.
 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 hours ago, VikingRaider said:

Aye we had lots of things in them days
They haven't got today
Rickets, Diptheria, Hitler, and
By we did look well going to school with no backsides in us trousers n
All us little heads painted Purple cause we had Ringworm

They Dunt Know theyre Born Today!!!!

Obvs you're considerably older than me...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

In social encounters today,  3 people, ( 2x 70 plus, one circa 50)told   me about  serious hip problems they have have/had for over the last 3years.

One was  delighted by the results of hip surgery.They paid for privately  for in a specialist  unit in the north of England.

The other two are in considerable pain and have very reduced mobility.

Each have been given NHS estimates of one year plus regarding their surgery.

One has looked at having surgery privately - in Lithuania,  at approximately 50% of the UK cost.(they decided against it because of their other medical problems)

The two , whilst hopeful,  express some doubt at the estimates as they are rather like the estimates from previous year(s).(Yes, we know , Covid and other issues..)

Neither aren’t that “ young “,but one works, one is semi-retired.They contribute,  at zero cost, in their own way to both their family and also their community and should be able to have a happy and pleasant life.

*There is an assumption regarding age, oft quoted by politicos,that health care in future will be “ burdened” because of the “elderly”- because, “We are all living longer” .

i.e The “ burden” will caused by the “elderly”.

This is not only casually prejudicial in a way that could not be directed against any other sector in society, but evidence suggests it is an inaccurate and at least a very simplistic view.

Increasing life expectancy may have peaked for men,  and for women the  gap with men has narrowed and beginning to level.

For the first time since Victorian times, we may see children having  a shorter life expectancy than their parents.

The Health Service challenge is   to try and  ensure that “Living longer “ does not result in us just being   “Ill longer”,

Illness patterns are changing.  -it may become relatively less of an advanced age problem  but more a feature for the  young and middle-aged with chronic illness and disability becoming more prevalent.

Apart from all the others, just one disease - diabetes,  and its serious  multiple complications has to be tackled  - and its frequent precursor, obesity.

 

Edited by hampsterkahn
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, hampsterkahn said:

In social encounters today,  3 people, ( 2x 70 plus, one circa 50)told   me about  serious hip problems they have have/had for over the last 3years.

One was  delighted by the results of hip surgery.They paid for privately  for in a specialist  unit in the north of England.

The other two are in considerable pain and have very reduced mobility.

Each have been given NHS estimates of one year plus regarding their surgery.

One has looked at having surgery privately - in Lithuania,  at approximately 50% of the UK cost.(they decided against it because of their other medical problems)

The two , whilst hopeful,  express some doubt at the estimates as they are rather like the estimates from previous year(s).(Yes, we know , Covid and other issues..)

Neither aren’t that “ young “,but one works, one is semi-retired.They contribute,  at zero cost, in their own way to both their family and also their community and should be able to have a happy and pleasant life.

*There is an assumption regarding age, oft quoted by politicos,that health care in future will be “ burdened” because of the “elderly”- because, “We are all living longer” .

i.e The “ burden” will caused by the “elderly”.

This is not only casually prejudicial in a way that could not be directed against any other sector in society, but evidence suggests it is an inaccurate and at least a very simplistic view.

Increasing life expectancy may have peaked for men,  and for women the  gap with men has narrowed and beginning to level.

For the first time since Victorian times, we may see children having  a shorter life expectancy than their parents.

The Health Service challenge is   to try and  ensure that “Living longer “ does not result in us just being   “Ill longer”,

Illness patterns are changing.  -it may become relatively less of an advanced age problem  but more a feature for the  young and middle-aged with chronic illness and disability becoming more prevalent.

Apart from all the others, just one disease - diabetes,  and its serious  multiple complications has to be tackled  - and its frequent precursor, obesity.

 

 

 

 

r

The above shows why NI needs increasing & upper limits raised to cover the increasing costs, also NI should continue on all earned income after pension age

  • Confused 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

It's the same in the UK.  I live there and I even used to work in the NHS.

Four weeks ago I had a hernia repaired.  From the time I first saw my GP to surgery was just under 18 months.  It took about 6 weeks to get a confirmatory scan and then almost four months to see a surgeon.  Then nearly a year for the operation.  The staff told me that they thought I'd been waiting a long time and that for the previous few months they had been working pretty much flat out to clear the Covid backlog*.  (And as @wrighty says, there was a long waiting list even before Covid).

I'm also waiting to see a hand surgeon.  It's almost a year since my GP referred me and I've still not had a referral appointment.  And from what I've heard, I don't expect one any time soon.  Even once I see a surgeon, God knows how long it will be to get an operation.

*  What I think my local Clinical Commissioning Group has done in an attempt to clear the Covid backlog is to concentrate some procedures in certain hospitals.  So, for example, with my hernia repair I couldn't get it done on the NHS at my local hospital (5 minutes away) but had to travel to another hospital 25 miles away.  Of course, the IoM can't do that...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, Banker said:

The above shows why NI needs increasing & upper limits raised to cover the increasing costs, also NI should continue on all earned income after pension age

That’s a very interesting answer. Is it the lack of money or is it lack of staff ?

if you go through the airport on a Monday morning it is full of mostly elderly going away for treatment. No fault of their own I must add. But have they all paid into the system in their younger lives? As it is known people have came here to retire.during lockdown a considerable amount of people were able to come here to live and work. Which again I don’t have a problem that people want to come and it betters their lives or think it’s going to better their lives. But you see when the government knows we had already a waiting list before lock down. They point out themselves they can not get staff. Do you think it is the best solution too add more people to the problem? As that is what they have done.

So you think everyone paying out more money is the solution. Wouldn’t  the better solution be, If a company wants to employ a person outside of the Isle of Man. That requires a work permit or work visa , that they pay and provide private health care to their employees incase they need it and the same if a person would just like to move here to retire or for a more relaxed life style? 
I don’t believe it is right for a person that was born here, worked  all their life and have no where to go and their home is now a hospital bed. Neither should a person who was born here suffer and be on waiting lists. 
 

where is governments common sense. It is not just about their pension pots and pink roads and feeling the love card you know.

Edited by Manx17
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, Banker said:

The above shows why NI needs increasing & upper limits raised to cover the increasing costs, also NI should continue on all earned income after pension age

This demonstrates, again, a total lack of understanding of the point of NI. It funds State pensions and statutory sick pay. It does not pay for the NHS, which is from general taxation. 
 

In my view NI would simply be scrapped. It’s a regressive tax, with categories and rules which means it’s overly complex. Just put it all on income tax. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Manx17 said:

That’s a very interesting answer. Is it the lack of money or is it lack of staff ?

 

excess of old people is the answer no one is looking for.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, wrighty said:


 

In my view NI would simply be scrapped. It’s a regressive tax, with categories and rules which means it’s overly complex. Just put it all on income tax. 

great idea.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, WTF said:

excess of old people is the answer no one is looking for.

Jenny Agutter lives close to my parish, maybe she has a suggestion?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

32 minutes ago, wrighty said:

This demonstrates, again, a total lack of understanding of the point of NI. It funds State pensions and statutory sick pay. It does not pay for the NHS, which is from general taxation. 
 

In my view NI would simply be scrapped. It’s a regressive tax, with categories and rules which means it’s overly complex. Just put it all on income tax. 

Well they can use taxes or NI fund for whatever they want as has been demonstrated by Ashford recent raid of NI reserve fund to pay for Covid.

We are paying for private specialist to come over to do cataracts eyc at weekends which have to be paid for.

We could raise NI or call it a health tax if you like similar to UK 1.5% one to fund health /social care.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...