Isle of Man Government Jobs Blacklist

0bserver

1 hour ago, 0bserver said:

Over the years I've spoken to several people who claim to have been 'blacklisted' from employment with Isle of Man Government. Their reasons have been varied but seem to generally be around whistle blowing or speaking out against bad practises. 

I can't say for certain that such a list exists. But I would be interested to hear I'd anybody else has has similar experiences? 

I left Government employment on my own terms and would certainly not want to work for such a toxic organisation ever again. But my reason for raising this question is two part. Firstly I'm worried that the GMP may be losing out on skills and expertise because of this. Secondly I'm more inclined to believe the existence of this list ever since the unearthing of what went on with Dr Ranson. 

I've witnessed business changing contracts being pulled and never to be given again, because a departments direction has been questioned. I'd be inclined to believe the same goes for employment. Grudges run deep here :)

• Like 2

Dunno if there's a blacklist, but I am certainly one of those who has made an application only to later discover that it never found its way through to the hiring Department. There are certainly many coincidentally similar anecdotes to be heard from others who have been vocal in expressing that Government's performance could be improved.

https://www.iomtoday.co.im/news/business/my-application-to-join-new-agency-went-astray-221389

Edited by craggy_steve
  • Like 2

HR get in the way of EVERYTHING.

But, I do know a bloke that is blacklisted form every government post advertised.

He did once work for them, employed for 8 years and turned up for work for 4 of them - so they can do one thing right.

There used to be  a system  whereby a firm failing to get the contract would be assured of other work or a better chance at the next contract. So, more of a favourites list than a blacklist! Not sure this could exist today with the scrutiny?

GMP. This would include Ashford, Quayle Robinson Longworth and all those others we love to hate,  wouldn't it??? Not sure that is what users of the term intend!

29 minutes ago, craggy_steve said:

Dunno if there's a blacklist, but I am certainly one of those who has made an application only to later discover that it never found its way through to the hiring Department. There are certainly many coincidentally similar anecdotes to be heard from others who have been vocal in expressing that Government's performance could be improved.

https://www.iomtoday.co.im/news/business/my-application-to-join-new-agency-went-astray-221389

Not sure why you would apply for a digital role with a paper application?

If it’s done online you automatically get an acknowledgment that it’s been received 

25 minutes ago, Banker said:

Not sure why you would apply for a digital role with a paper application?

If it’s done online you automatically get an acknowledgment that it’s been received 

Errmmm. Maybe I had a little less faith than you in the online jobs system used by IoMG? Jobtrain, and IoMG's usage of it, have improved as a consequence of my previous criticisms and the ICO's intervention, but I'm a tad fussy about the data governance practices of 'officialdom'.

What I can tell you, is running a smaller business, we were often asked to quote for Government work, which we spent time doing. One of the larger players, who were friends of mine, knew who had the contract at the same time as we were putting effort into doing a full estimate. Their advice to me was, don't waste your time you are only being used as one of the quotes required ! I told them to get stuffed thereafter whenever asked to quote for Government !.

• Like 8

1 minute ago, ManxTaxPayer said:

Gary Thompson isn't part of the IOM government. 

Gary Thompson  held no position in the IOM TTMA either  and had no authority to sack a marshal , however the IOM TTMA retrospectively confirmed his decision.

The new marshals association ( TTMA ltd) has 2members who had to be ratified by the IOM Gov along with  all the directors. The memorandum and articles of a association stipulated that any person could be sacked without being given a reason and they had no right of appeal .

Given the above I would venture to suggest that the CoC is effectively under the control of IOM gov/ the 'motorsport team'.:flowers:

• Like 3

2 hours ago, x-in-man said:

HR get in the way of EVERYTHING.

But, I do know a bloke that is blacklisted form every government post advertised.

He did once work for them, employed for 8 years and turned up for work for 4 of them - so they can do one thing right.

ah yes one of those positions that is permanently stressful  but you can put up with the stress just long enough to qualify for 6 months off with full pay after which time you magically get better till you can take 6 months off again.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, craggy_steve said:

you weren't quoting for the now old new radar at ronaldsway were you  ?  i heard a pub  rumour that a  few tenders for that job got lost.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

37 minutes ago, WTF said:

you weren't quoting for the now old new radar at ronaldsway were you  ?  i heard a pub  rumour that a  few tenders for that job got lost.

Ha! No. But on the commercial front I have had experience of submitting bids when I'd been told by others that I would be wasting my time because XYZ Co. would be the winner - and sometimes they were correct.

• Like 1