Too dumb to nazi

Amadeus

46 minutes ago, cheesypeas said:

I remember our first week at St Ninians. The kids on the Onchan bus at home time shouting "Hey Snow White you freak".

They only did it once though ! 

why? did you stop getting that bus then...

• Haha 2

22 hours ago, Ghost Ship said:

I spent the first 18 years of my life on the Isle of Man and never visited a "fun fair".  I don't think it did me any harm.

The first (and only) fair I've ever been to was the Goose Fair in Nottingham.  I was nearly 22 and threw up on a waltzer.  I didn't enjoy it, although it's possible that the multiple schooners of Australian white port at lunch in Yates's had something to do with it.

Did the pupils at Ballakermeen call the headmaster "Hitler" Holroyd because there was no fun fair?

There was a fun fair of sorts at White CIty

Holroyd was renowned for juggling in his pockets

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

20 hours ago, Ghost Ship said:

Actually I thought Frank Luckman was Head of both Ballakermeen and St Ninians, and that Holroyd and Taverner were the respective deputies?  

Yes, I think that was the case

4 minutes ago, SleepyJoe said:

There was a fun fair of sorts at White CIty

Holroyd was renowned for juggling in his pockets

Frank Entwistle was champion at pocket balls. Sometimes the juggling was so vigorous his fly would come undone! 

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
On 6/2/2022 at 7:52 PM, Shake me up Judy said:

One was a tallish chap with dark hair who would just read out from a book of Norse Sagas.  I can't really remember the other guy.

Marvellous stuff that.

Yeah!  I didn't exactly give very recognisable descriptions, did I?  😄

However, it's been really annoying me that I couldn't remember the name of the guy who read out loud from the Norse Sagas.  But I thought I could remember a very old thread on here talking about teachers at Ballakermeen and St Ninians, and I think @Max Power identified the chap in question as "Mr Samwell, a very scary man!"

Unfortunately, I don't think he identified "the other guy", although he was quite scary too.

But he did remind me of some other teachers I'd forgotten over the years. 

School Teachers... Your Memories... - Page 6 - General Chat - Manx Forums - A Discussion Board & Classifieds for the Isle of Man

[Max's post 3rd November 2011 on page 11]

Edited by Ghost Ship

4 hours ago, Ghost Ship said:

Yeah!  I didn't exactly give very recognisable descriptions, did I?  😄

However, it's been really annoying me that I couldn't remember the name of the guy who read out loud from the Norse Sagas.  But I thought I could remember a very old thread on here talking about teachers at Ballakermeen and St Ninians, and I think @Max Power identified the chap in question as "Mr Samwell, a very scary man!"

Unfortunately, I don't think he identified "the other guy", although he was quite scary too.

But he did remind me of some other teachers I'd forgotten over the years. 

School Teachers... Your Memories... - Page 6 - General Chat - Manx Forums - A Discussion Board & Classifieds for the Isle of Man

[Max's post 3rd November 2011 on page 11]

good link there GS , i missed that when it was current but decided not to revive it, if any body else does i'll add to it, some names missing for me ,  i was at balla mid to late 70's finished st ninians early 80's

• 3 months later...

Anyone remember Dave Ingham and know what happened to him?

(I asked the same question on the other thread in General Chat as I got confused between that one and this one. Genuinely interested to know what happened to him.  He never taught me by the way, but he struck me as somebody... not quite comfortable as a teacher... )

1 hour ago, SleepyJoe said:

Didn't he work for the brewery in the summer, throwing beer barrels about? I can imagine him doing that

He did, saw him working out of the brewery depot in drumgold street one year. Had a reputation as a hard man on the rugger pitch. Too handy in the classroom, over the top.