New extra speed limits

Bandits

6 minutes ago, flaps said:

I'm all for the 50 on the Round Table road - I've seen some shocking driving along there. But - if that road justifies a temporary limit over TT, due to a couple of serious accidents, how come that the mountain, which has loads of serious accidents, is limit free? Some inconsistency there. If the road safety strategy is indeed taking an "Evidence based approach" like it says it is, then there's loads of evidence of excessive speed related collisions on the mountain, yet no attempt to curtail it.

The difference is last Saturday Ramsey hairpin had possibly 15 police cars ready to roll so it's a" look at us" thing where the Sloc is a far away backwater.

13 hours ago, Derek Flint said:

Cronk y voddy is great flat out 

- Apart from the zones of invisibility

- And the two concealed junctions.

Who said anything about going flat out?I just want to be able to do 60mph  and overtake safely, by lowering the speed limit all they’ve done is make it harder to overtake safely and it will move the overtakes to the smaller straight sections where there is unlikely to be a copper hiding.

The area before the hidden dip really should also be double white lines no idea why it’s not because it can hide a car/bike quite easily, the junctions are normally only an issue when someone is turning across their path while someone is overtaking, bikes will still be hidden in this scenario if they choose to overtake there, a 50mph limit won’t stop poor decisions being made.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, ellanvannin2010 said:

One place that could do with temporary speed limit, possibly 20mph, is fairy bridge. Bikers seem to just wander aimlessly in the road there.

The mountain, obviously, should be 50mph all year

No U turns allowed either.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Roxanne said:

That’s why I like the drop from Creg to Brandish. Flat out and NO junctions. We used to call it. ‘The tunnel’ because the hedges are so high and you’re flying down. I actually think that’s the fastest part of the course. 

There's a zone of invisibility and the road narrows considerably at Sunny Orchard.

11 hours ago, finlo said:

The difference is last Saturday Ramsey hairpin had possibly 15 police cars ready to roll so it's a" look at us" thing where the Sloc is a far away backwater.

Nope. The reason there is a stack of cars there is for the 'set piece' that is needed to close it every time someone comes off.

The amount of resources it sucks up is ridiculous. If it were to be operated differently that deployment could be cut significantly 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Annoymouse said:

Who said anything about going flat out?I just want to be able to do 60mph  and overtake safely, by lowering the speed limit all they’ve done is make it harder to overtake safely and it will move the overtakes to the smaller straight sections where there is unlikely to be a copper hiding.

The area before the hidden dip really should also be double white lines no idea why it’s not because it can hide a car/bike quite easily, the junctions are normally only an issue when someone is turning across their path while someone is overtaking, bikes will still be hidden in this scenario if they choose to overtake there, a 50mph limit won’t stop poor decisions being made.

I found that this is the problem with the Coast Road now. Because it's now a heavily-policed 50mph limit (guns at Liverpool Arms, Baldrine and New Road, Laxey the other afternoon) most people are doing 40mph everywhere outside the built-up 30s. Which makes it a long, slow trip to either Douglas or Ramsey.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

8 minutes ago, Non-Believer said:

Because it's now a heavily-policed 50mph limit (guns at Liverpool Arms, Baldrine and New Road, Laxey the other afternoon) most people are doing 40mph everywhere outside the built-up 30s. Which makes it a long, slow trip to either Douglas or Ramsey.

The difference in journey time between a maximum of 40 mph and 50 mph will be a couple of minutes.

I assume you think that far higher speeds are safe on that road.

• Thanks 2

6 minutes ago, Two-lane said:

The difference in journey time between a maximum of 40 mph and 50 mph will be a couple of minutes.

Saved me the time writing the same. If you're driving a few hundred miles it can make a difference. 13 miles Douglas to Ramsey, does it really matter an average of 30, 40, 50? 

43 minutes ago, Capt_Mainwaring said:

Saved me the time writing the same. If you're driving a few hundred miles it can make a difference. 13 miles Douglas to Ramsey, does it really matter an average of 30, 40, 50? 

13 miles?

2 hours ago, Two-lane said:

No, not at all. But if they'd set the limit at 60 then "most" people would be doing 50 which would be better progress whilst still remaining at a safe speed IMO.