RIP Gef the Mongoose

HeliX

1 minute ago, Youaintseenme said:

Or they thought 3FM had managed it, and have taken GEF as second best.

I would love to see a list of the contributors to the consultation that ultimately led to COMIN refusing to allow the 3FM option.  I wonder if any have an interest in GEF?

https://gef.im/2021/12/09/comin-killed-the-radio-deal/

I suspect the refusal to let the takeover of 3FM had more to do with the protection of Manx Radio.  The two Tindle broadcast stations in the Channel Islands (Channel 103 in Jersey and Island Radio in Guernsey) outperform the BBC stations and indeed have the best RAJAR reach of any individual stations[1].  With Tindle behind it 3FM (which is already snapping at Manx Radio's heels) might take a lot more of MR's listeners and advertising.

[1]  Channel 103 55%, Island FM 53%.  The next best is MFR (Moray Firth Radio) with 40%.  Manx Radio was 36% and 3FM 31%.  Both in the top ten incidentally.

20 minutes ago, Newsdesk said:

Kate will be a positive asset to Tindle news until they all fall out which will likely be reasonably soon. As you say they need to be able to migrate onto a digital platform which Gef has done really well by employing real journalists to produce engaging content that people actually want to read rather than a rag repeating government press releases and court reports that people either want to light the fire or wipe their bum with. 

Gef reproduces a lot of press releases too, but if you're only One Man and HIs Imaginary Mongoose you have to fill things somehow.  As I frequently point out there isn't enough proper court reporting (though Turton has done more than his bit), but both get a lot of views and fit in with ultra-local coverage.  The real question is whether they will try to save money by reusing the same stuff over lots of platforms or invest a bit more in content.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

Gef reproduces a lot of press releases too, but if you're only One Man and HIs Imaginary Mongoose you have to fill things somehow.  As I frequently point out there isn't enough proper court reporting (though Turton has done more than his bit), but both get a lot of views and fit in with ultra-local coverage.  The real question is whether they will try to save money by reusing the same stuff over lots of platforms or invest a bit more in content.

I wonder what will happen to the Love IOM card now. Is this part of the deal? 

https://www.manxradio.com/news/isle-of-man-news/180k-of-taxpayers-money-spent-on-love-iom-card/

Gef have done a decent job of upping their game over the course of the pandemic. When it was first reported they were getting some gov cash back in 2020 they were still copy and pasting other peoples work or writing things a 12 year old could and trying to be, I dunno, hip or something, but they've got a lot better since then. It's nice seeing someone get better at their job, and there's no doubt that Sam Turton has.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Roger Mexico said:

Looking at the sad six pieces of paper that are this weeks courier it’s clear that they are desperate for content which I would imagine Kate is there to generate as at least Gef has a fairly defined audience and demographic which is a good 20 years younger those who read the newspaper. I would imagine they will share content aimed at bringing a younger reader audience into the mix for the truly terrible IOM Today website. 

21 minutes ago, Newsdesk said:

Looking at the sad six pieces of paper that are this weeks courier it’s clear that they are desperate for content which I would imagine Kate is there to generate as at least Gef has a fairly defined audience and demographic which is a good 20 years younger those who read the newspaper. I would imagine they will share content aimed at bringing a younger reader audience into the mix for the truly terrible IOM Today website. 

If the Courier is small it will be because of a lack of ads to pay for it, not of bumph to fill the spaces between them.  The website redesign had the usual effect of making it even worse than before (previously thought impossible).  And as usual functionality has been sacrificed for 'look' with the result that it is slow, clumsy and unreadable.  Possibly it works perfectly on the latest iPhone that no one except the graphic designer possessed but I doubt even that. 

Still not as bad as anything produced by Reach, but mainly due to the fact that no ads ever seem to appear.  Which itself must be a worry.  The whole financial side of their digital offering is poor and looks amateurish.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Roger Mexico said:

but mainly due to the fact that no ads ever seem to appear.  Which itself must be a worry.  The whole financial side of their digital offering is poor and looks amateurish.

Yes I’d agree with that which is where adding people like Kate to the team will probably pay dividends. Digital content has to pay its way with supporting advertising revenue. 

22 hours ago, Roger Mexico said:

I suspect the refusal to let the takeover of 3FM had more to do with the protection of Manx Radio.  The two Tindle broadcast stations in the Channel Islands (Channel 103 in Jersey and Island Radio in Guernsey) outperform the BBC stations and indeed have the best RAJAR reach of any individual stations[1].  With Tindle behind it 3FM (which is already snapping at Manx Radio's heels) might take a lot more of MR's listeners and advertising.

[1]  Channel 103 55%, Island FM 53%.  The next best is MFR (Moray Firth Radio) with 40%.  Manx Radio was 36% and 3FM 31%.  Both in the top ten incidentally.

Tindle should perhaps consider starting an online talk radio station for the IOM if CoMin won't permit 3FM acquisition

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...