Is climate change a fraud?

Banker

5 hours ago, finlo said:

At an (educated) guess 100% of the islands network, these things start at 12KW and go up to 30KW and beyond!

There are still plenty of places on the island where if one person switches on a heavy appliance all their neighbours lights dim!

Makes an Energy Transition Plan all the more urgent

• Thanks 1

I use oil filled radiators sometimes when I just need heat in a couple of rooms but my electric bill has dramatically increased to what it was 12 months ago and with two more rises coming I have rethought this action and am using my multi fuel stove again or will be when the weather gets cold.   My main oil fired central heating is just used for hot water and the odd hour to heat the house through when it gets really cold.   There is no way out of this predicament and unless you are dealing with a new build insulation,apart from double glazing and loft insulation, will not be effective and very expensive.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, hissingsid said:

I use oil filled radiators sometimes when I just need heat in a couple of rooms but my electric bill has dramatically increased to what it was 12 months ago and with two more rises coming I have rethought this action and am using my multi fuel stove again or will be when the weather gets cold.   My main oil fired central heating is just used for hot water and the odd hour to heat the house through when it gets really cold.   There is no way out of this predicament and unless you are dealing with a new build insulation,apart from double glazing and loft insulation, will not be effective and very expensive.

Try telling daft Daffers that!

• Thanks 2

You are comparing apples and pears bringing population numbers into it a typical accountants trick moving the goal posts to prove a point.   India and China because of their industrial footprints as countries contribute far more crap into the atmosphere than anyone else.   England would have worn this crown in the days of the industrial revolution but now these countries have taken all the trade away with their cheap and shoddy merchandise and the amount of factories in England are minimal.   

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Finlo, Daffers can get stuffed as far as I am concerned I am not on 50 plus thousand a year and by the time all these regulations come into force I will be but a little puff of smoke ascending from the crematorium’s chimney if they haven’t stopped the burning as it pollutes the atmosphere…ashes to ashes that is what the good book says. 🤣  I just hope I can keep my sense of humour in the dark days ahead that is the only thing that will be left….

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Raffles said:

Yes I know a few people who have removed their central heating and just use electric radiators or heaters. Much cheaper and ecologically beneficial. 

I'm not sure how that is cheaper. Isn't it cheaper to use central heating but turn off all the radiators bar the room you are in. 

11 hours ago, finlo said:

At an (educated) guess 100% of the islands network, these things start at 12KW and go up to 30KW and beyond!

There are still plenty of places on the island where if one person switches on a heavy appliance all their neighbours lights dim!

You have to understand that 12 to 30kw is the power output and not the power drawn. With a heatpump you gat up to 3.5 times out more than you put in so divide those numbers by 3.5. 

6 hours ago, Happier diner said:

I'm not sure how that is cheaper. Isn't it cheaper to use central heating but turn off all the radiators bar the room you are in. 

They are storage heaters so they draw electric during the night when it is cheaper and are very efficient to run.

• Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, SleepyJoe said:

Anyone tried infrared room heaters?

Yes. Crap. They heat you but not the room, which sounds a good idea. But they also blind you and are uncomfortable to sit by. You end up glowing on the outside but feel cold on the inside.

Good idea? Well they haven't taken off which usually tells you something

8 minutes ago, SleepyJoe said:

I can't decide between an infrared heater or an electric blanket

Seems pointless heating the whole blinking house

I am also considering the possibility of an electric blanket for winter. The only thing is that it’s only freezing for the first couple of minutes jumping in and then after that it soon warms up. Seems like a bit of a waste of leccy just for two minutes of bliss  

And yet…

• Like 2

Just now, Roxanne said:

I am also considering the possibility of an electric blanket for winter. The only thing is that it’s only freezing for the first couple of minutes jumping in and then after that it soon warms up. Seems like a bit of a waste of leccy just for two minutes of bliss  

And yet…

Wi-Fi timer maybe?

• Like 1