Returning to Mann... What are the benefits?

Manxweegie

2 hours ago, Manxweegie said:

At the title says i am considering returning to Isle of Man, what (if any) would be the actual benefits of coming back to the Island? 

Well.

The beaches are still here. Hills are still in place. Manx Radio is still playing chart hits from 20 years ago. The Mannin Line is still a thing. Not much changes.

On a serious note. In my opinion we are doing better than the UK is right now. For the first time ever in history i would say we are the ones who are ahead in time. The UK is a sinking ship these days. Also lower crime. Safer for kids. All 1/16th of the completed Ramsey pier opens this Sunday if that’s your thing. I even saw a pound note out in the wild the other day. Very exciting things.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Manxweegie said:

At the title says i am considering returning to Isle of Man, what (if any) would be the actual benefits of coming back to the Island? 

We have the best government in the world. Everything is great. There are no possible downsides and you will enjoy a great work life balance and lifestyle and if you’re coming over the Manx taxpayer will even give you an NI break and help you with your relocations costs. The Isle of Man Where You Can .. if you’re not Manx. 

For. The hills, the sea, the things to do, the clean air, low crime, openness, welcoming people, the tax levels and combined/transferable tax free and 10% bands for married couples, no long commutes.

Against. Lack of choice for utilities, not being able to get in the car and drive and go to big shopping places, Manx crabs, cost of transport on/off, not everyone delivers if you buy on line. 

• Like 7

Think it depends if you have kids or not as well. I definitely won’t be leaving the Island till mine have fled the nest. 10 year old daughter has spent the weekend out and about with her friends, going to Costa, building dens and just having fun enjoying her childhood. If I was back in Manchester I’d be worried sick every time she left the house without me or her mum.

Edited by manxchester
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Manxweegie said:

Returning? Were you a visitor or resident? If you were a former resident then very little would have changed, if as a visitor then yes do as Wrighty says, try it for 6 months and see what you think, saves the ‘what ifs’ and is also enough time for any honey moon period to wear off.