The Isle of Man is missing..........(give us your opinion)

jackwhite

Over the last two weeks, had lots of conversations with people, mostly who've come over for TT, but also some locals.

There was a variety of things they felt were missing from the Isle of Man. I'm not talking competent politicians or any such other flying pigs¬†ūüėČ. No in all seriousness, it was more about physical things from a hypothetic point of view, rather than just complaining about¬†

We obviously have a diverse demographic on here. I think that's evident both from opinions in general and what they seem to be for and against.

Getting to the point, what are we missing on the Isle of Man that would improve your quality of life? 

For me, it's a higher quality hospitality scene. I say that not just because I work in the trade, but because I genuinely enjoy going to nice places. I've made no secret of the fact I'm a fan of having a drink at Fynoderee. I'd add food at Bonzai, Enzos and The Alpine (and their new nights with beer too!) along with the odd beer at some independent places.. Outside of that there are very few places I'd happily spend money in. 

We have lots of great areas on the Isle of Man for outdoor activities so I don't think we're short for that. I do think though we could be doing with some more 'destinations' or just general things to do for activities. 

Anything you feel would improve the quality of life for you?

• Thanks 1

Just now, Declan said:

A culture of gig-going.

Fantastic shout. 

Was thinking about this the other day. 

Is there anything the hospitality could do to help this do you think? If so, thoughts on what?

12 minutes ago, Declan said:

Don't ask me, I only started going to gigs in the 80's.

Me too. That's why I asked. There used to be gigs on all over the place until about 2005 (approx). 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, jackwhite said:

Over the last two weeks, had lots of conversations with people, mostly who've come over for TT, but also some locals.

There was a variety of things they felt were missing from the Isle of Man. I'm not talking competent politicians or any such other flying pigs¬†ūüėČ. No in all seriousness, it was more about physical things from a hypothetic point of view, rather than just complaining about¬†

We obviously have a diverse demographic on here. I think that's evident both from opinions in general and what they seem to be for and against.

Getting to the point, what are we missing on the Isle of Man that would improve your quality of life? 

For me, it's a higher quality hospitality scene. I say that not just because I work in the trade, but because I genuinely enjoy going to nice places. 

The problem will be footfall particularly if high quality also equals high cost.  People will go for a treat but won't go on a regular basis especially if there are more competitors.

I do think though we could be doing with some more 'destinations' or just general things to do for activities. 

There are already people calling for heritage attractions and sites to be closed.  Places like Summerland would have reopened if there was a market.

I am not sure what "destinations" would be economically viable.

Anything you feel would improve the quality of life for you?

Reduce people's reliance on private cars and do something about the state of public roads and footpaths.

Stop trying to turn the Island into another English County.

The problem is, asking most people what they want will get

Nando’s

Burger King

TGI

Greggs

5 Guys

KFC ( coming soon ) 

Starbucks ( coming soon ) 

More Coffee shops

etc.

• Like 2

I think more community events are required.  Simple affairs where people meet up, network, chat and go on to do other things together. Home-made food and drinks, maybe some music and a place to sit, relax and connect the old fashioned way. Sunday afternoons are a good place for something like this.  Maybe once a month on the last Sunday of every month.  Somewhere with inside and outside space so no matter what the weather is like it can still go ahead. Somewhere attractive like maybe the old Courthouse in Ramsey.  People always arrive in Ramsey on Sunday afternoons and wander around so we might as well give them something to do while they are doing it. We have a plethora of artists, crafters, photographers, musicians all just waiting for an opportunity to come together. have some fun and make a little bit of money on the side.

Yep - that's the way forward.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Roxanne said:

I think more community events are required.  Simple affairs where people meet up, network, chat and go on to do other things together. Home-made food and drinks, maybe some music and a place to sit, relax and connect the old fashioned way. Sunday afternoons are a good place for something like this.  Maybe once a month on the last Sunday of every month.  Somewhere with inside and outside space so no matter what the weather is like it can still go ahead. Somewhere attractive like maybe the old Courthouse in Ramsey.  People always arrive in Ramsey on Sunday afternoons and wander around so we might as well give them something to do while they are doing it. We have a plethora of artists, crafters, photographers, musicians all just waiting for an opportunity to come together. have some fun and make a little bit of money on the side.

There are hundreds of those, all over the Island, day in, day out, week after week, all year round.

See you at Laa Columb Killey on June 24th? £5.00 entry to the tea tent.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Roxanne said:

Me too. That's why I asked. There used to be gigs on all over the place until about 2005 (approx). 

Not really. Bands in pubs, that's all.

8 minutes ago, John Wright said:

There are hundreds of those, all over the Island, day in, day out, week after week, all year round.

See you at Laa Columb Killey on June 24th? £5.00 entry to the tea tent.

Only if you're paying. 

Yes, you're right, there are, but I still think we need another one. :)

44 minutes ago, Roxanne said:

It's all made way for a swipe right!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Roxanne said:

The 70's was the real deal over here. Summer seasons were brilliant. An act or a band on in nearly every seafront hotel. Remove the tourist industry and away it all goes

• Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, Declan said:

Not really. Bands in pubs, that's all.

You’re right. That’s what we called gigs. We had such little lives then, and yet, we had such fun. 

• Like 2