The Isle of Man is missing..........(give us your opinion)

jackwhite

I used to love the cinema. I’m talking years back when you went to watch the film. There was a break in the middle and the usher/usherette would come down with their lit up tray of ice lollies and ice cream tubs. We ate them, the rubbish was collected and the film came back on. 

I understand that cinemas weren’t making enough money and that they had to turn themselves into sweetie shops/popcorn palace/ fizzy drink emporiums, but it spoiled it all for me too.

The last time I went (about thirty years ago) the sound was so loud I felt my ears were going to bleed. It wasn’t a pleasant experience. I suppose it has to be that loud to cover up the sound of the customers’ mastication.

I wouldn’t go now if you paid me. And that’s a shame. It used to be a huge part of my life at one time but not anymore. 

• Like 3

18 hours ago, AOR said:

pondlife 

You make some good points but there’s no need for that. People are just people, trying to get through. Everyone is facing a battle somewhere in their life. If going to the cinema and eating popcorn is what they need to do to get through then let them. No need to devalue them with a term like the above. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

If there was a big, dark, dingy hall somewhere with uncomfortable seats with no legroom where folk could go and eat noisily in public like pigs for two hours non-stop, and it DIDN'T show films, it would presumably be cheaper. Do you think people would still go?

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Roxanne said:

You make some good points but there’s no need for that. People are just people, trying to get through. Everyone is facing a battle somewhere in their life. If going to the cinema and eating popcorn is what they need to do to get through then let them. No need to devalue them with a term like the above. 

I know what you mean and such words do not do my stance any good, as has been seen by some reactions. ETA I have edited my post and will be vigilant nit to use such a word agaoin.

I understand what you say, We're all God's babies and let's be kind and nice and all that.

But sometimes, well a lot of times, the world thrusts upon us pieces of human detritus. Selfish and uncaring people who offer nothing to society and who take pleasure in making life worse for anyone they can, especially the society as a whole that has looked after them. Someone somewhere loves Putin, and Jimmy Savile and that Fred West guy, and Maxwell, and Hitler too - I use extremity to make my point, but my point should be clear enough.

Edited by AOR

On 6/15/2022 at 3:59 PM, jackwhite said:

Over the last two weeks, had lots of conversations with people, mostly who've come over for TT, but also some locals.

There was a variety of things they felt were missing from the Isle of Man. I'm not talking competent politicians or any such other flying pigs 😉. No in all seriousness, it was more about physical things from a hypothetic point of view, rather than just complaining about 

We obviously have a diverse demographic on here. I think that's evident both from opinions in general and what they seem to be for and against.

Getting to the point, what are we missing on the Isle of Man that would improve your quality of life? 

For me, it's a higher quality hospitality scene. I say that not just because I work in the trade, but because I genuinely enjoy going to nice places. I've made no secret of the fact I'm a fan of having a drink at Fynoderee. I'd add food at Bonzai, Enzos and The Alpine (and their new nights with beer too!) along with the odd beer at some independent places.. Outside of that there are very few places I'd happily spend money in. 

We have lots of great areas on the Isle of Man for outdoor activities so I don't think we're short for that. I do think though we could be doing with some more 'destinations' or just general things to do for activities. 

Anything you feel would improve the quality of life for you?

Small, modern or quality bistro/eateries? Better surfaced roads? Traffic police? Regular, unannounced, roadside vehicle checks? Much smaller govt. and more tradesmen keeping the infrastructure maintained?

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, doc.fixit said:

Small, modern or quality bistro/eateries? Better surfaced roads? Traffic police? Regular, unannounced, roadside vehicle checks? Much smaller govt. and more tradesmen keeping the infrastructure maintained?

Most of the points I agree with.

I'd say the quality bistro/eateries place (small ones) is reasonably catered for.

Harbour View

Enzos

Little Fish Cafe

Wine Down

L'Experience

Kizuna

Versa

The Boatyard (not sure what the new Filbeys is like but used to be nice)

Other places I'd potentially put in there are

Bonzai (albeit their new place is actually quite sizeable),

Aura

Andreas

There are others outside of this that I don't particularly like myself like 14 North, Meating and Titan. HQ Bar also looks good (their chef is on Twitter and does some amazing looking stuff).

Edited by jackwhite
  • Like 2

On 6/16/2022 at 7:48 AM, HiVibes said:

A proper university and affordable housing for young people. The rest will follow.

I personally don't like the notion that a 'cultural quarter' is defined by government. Culture and arts springs up where rents are cheap and young people are, and is not predefined and built in slabs of granite.

On 6/16/2022 at 8:16 AM, Mr. Sausages said:

A university. Like, a proper one. That students would come to the island for. Suddenly the nightlife would pick up.

On 6/16/2022 at 8:18 AM, Mr. Sausages said:

Probably have to relax the drug laws / punishments though

I've been saying this for years, building a young vibrant environment would follow as the demand is there. Then during the summer, all that extra accommodation could be let out to the 500,000 visitors we are expecting! We would have people returning on holiday with their families to the place that they went to uni and met each other all those years ago! It's a long term strategy, but its a sound one!

I think the police force would be a big barrier, they don't want to be out at night monitoring drunken students. There would be an incredible vibe here, but there are things that we would have to accept in return!

15 hours ago, Max Power said:

I think the police force would be a big barrier, they don't want to be out at night monitoring drunken students. There would be an incredible vibe here, but there are things that we would have to accept in return! doing anything except arresting people with 50p worth of weed