Strand Street Post Office

Katman

I see the Strand Street Post Office is turning into a convenience store, the foreign exchange counter has now gone, and you can now buy your lottery tickets and basic expensive groceries as well as buying a stamp or two..

Seems to be undermanned as well, three people behind the post counter, one working, one said she couldn't help as she was new and didn't know anything and the third had to leave the postal counter to go to serve someone at the shop counter, then realised she didn't know how to operate the lottery machine.

10 minutes ago, Katman said:

I see the Strand Street Post Office is turning into a convenience store, the foreign exchange counter has now gone, and you can now buy your lottery tickets and basic expensive groceries as well as buying a stamp or two..

Seems to be undermanned as well, three people behind the post counter, one working, one said she couldn't help as she was new and didn't know anything and the third had to leave the postal counter to go to serve someone at the shop counter, then realised she didn't know how to operate the lottery machine.

Be glad there's a post office - mine has closed so buy postage online and let the postman pick up parcels and letters.

what a waste of time that is, who goes into strand street to buy groceries from a post office when M&S is just down the block with a car park , M&S will be open when ever the post office is and then some.  be better to shut the post office and set up a counter in marksies or the spar shop.

49 minutes ago, WTF said:

what a waste of time that is, who goes into strand street to buy groceries from a post office when M&S is just down the block with a car park , M&S will be open when ever the post office is and then some.  be better to shut the post office and set up a counter in marksies or the spar shop.

Even odder there's another Spar (just) closer than it than M&S is with similar hours.  I wonder if they are intending to close that one down and transfer any business to the Post Office.

2 hours ago, Katman said:

Regent Street there was more often than not a huge queue. It's as if they organised staff and tea breaks etc for a steady queue of 10-20 folk at a time. I 

The Foreign Exchange was mostly just another general counter that allowed people to push in front of the queue for the main counter, so good it is all one counter now, but yeah, they need to dump the Spar shop idea. The original plan when Regent Street closed was to put the Post Office at the back of the existing Spar up the street. I suppose that made sense looking back on it.

3 hours ago, Katman said:

So the only foreign exchange left on the island is in Hays Travel Agent and that is only open part time 

Reading this and the changes. Does that mean no foreign exchange service now at PO ?. And if so where you go now. I'm a cash is king person so usually take loads on holiday with me but always take some local currency to get me through airports/Taxis etc . 

6 minutes ago, SpunkCookie said:

So the only foreign exchange left on the island is in Hays Travel Agent and that is only open part time 

No, you can order online from post office & either get delivered today your home address or any post office, also some of the other larger post offices dO FX but not sure which ones 

Last time I was in IoM Bank in Ramsey there were signs up to the effect that that branch no longer did foreign exchange as well.

5 minutes ago, Banker said:

No, you can order online from post office & either get delivered today your home address or any post office, also some of the other larger post offices dO FX but not sure which ones 

Ok, thanks. I guess that doesn’t help for any visitors coming, particularly over TT who’ll rely on FX service 

Whatever happened to the consultation by the post office some months ago?

According to my friendly PO lady, they didn't get the answers they wanted and so the results have been withheld.  Anyone know anything?

21 minutes ago, Roxanne said:

Whatever happened to the consultation by the post office some months ago?

According to my friendly PO lady, they didn't get the answers they wanted and so the results have been withheld.  Anyone know anything?

Don’t recall seeing a consultation, did you or anyone you know provide feedback to it?

1 hour ago, Numbnuts said:

Reading this and the changes. Does that mean no foreign exchange service now at PO ?. And if so where you go now. I'm a cash is king person so usually take loads on holiday with me but always take some local currency to get me through airports/Taxis etc . 

Foreign Currency - Isle of Man Post Office (iompost.com)

• Like 1