huge rise in steam packet fares and cargo rates

Omobono

39 minutes ago, John Wright said:

Except that the SP is obliged to offer a certain percentage of special reduced fares. The headline fares are determined by the agreement. The special fares have to be less than the headline fares.

Whenever you book a special fare the headline fare is shown on the website so you can choose it if you don’t want the restrictions on change, cancellation and refund.

Im led to believe that there’s a fuel price surcharge mechanism within the agreement and terms of carriage. But I haven’t gone and checked.

They lumped on a fuel price surcharge a few years ago not sure if they ever recinded it.

1 hour ago, Banker said:

I recently booked a 5 day return car +2 £260 return September. Thought that’s good 

Compare that with Manx Line in 1978. Car + driver £32 and passenger an extra £16. So £48. Winter season price only.

Apply inflation. And compare £48 and £260 to the contemporary average earnings.

I’ve got 4 x 5 day returns booked between now and November. Lowest £198, highest £240. But I’ve got a single with car to Dublin for £193 and a single from Heysham for £181

1 hour ago, John Wright said:

Compare that with Manx Line in 1978. Car + driver £32 and passenger an extra £16. So £48. Winter season price only.

Apply inflation. And compare £48 and £260 to the contemporary average earnings.

I’ve got 4 x 5 day returns booked between now and November. Lowest £198, highest £240. But I’ve got a single with car to Dublin for £193 and a single from Heysham for £181

It’s £207 in today’s prices but petrol was equivalent of £3.50 per gallon in today’s money but it’s actually c£7.22 now so prices are fairly reasonable 

41 minutes ago, Banker said:

It’s £207 in today’s prices but petrol was equivalent of £3.50 per gallon in today’s money but it’s actually c£7.22 now so prices are fairly reasonable 

Depends if you apply IoM or UK RPI/CPI or transport cost index.

But it busts the myth that the fares are historically high.

IoM CPI from  January 2020 ( 100.00 ) and June 2022 is 225.00.

I can’t access the January 1978 to December 1999 figures for the Island. But UK figure is 100 to 346. 

The World Bank Inflation calculator for UK shows £48 in 1978 as being £255.75 now, not £207.

0F018660-FB62-4CDD-A405-B3A4D7BBAF89.jpeg

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Steam Packet at loggerheads with the Govt again. Travel inflation figures disputed (source, Gef).

Screenshot_20220824-083737_Facebook.jpg

Edited by Non-Believer
Typo

I was in a queue yesterday at the Steam Packet's Sea Terminal office, and the three customers ahead of me wished to amend their bookings.  It became apparent that each had originally booked a Special Offer fare including a vehicle.  The Steam Packet staff were extremely helpful in searching their systems for alternative bookings, all of which were at Standard Fare prices. 

I don't know what each passenger paid initially, but none of them were prepared to pay the new fares.  One was quoted in te region of £700, which was more than double their original fare.  They remarked they just wanted to amend their original booking, not buy the Steam Packet.   

• Thanks 1

45 minutes ago, Non-Believer said:

Steam Packet at loggerheads with the Govt again. Travel inflation figures disputed (source, Gef).

Screenshot_20220824-083737_Facebook.jpg

“Excluding the [massive] fuel surcharge”

That said these are the idiots who got the living wage wrong for 5 years. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Mysteron said:

I was in a queue yesterday at the Steam Packet's Sea Terminal office, and the three customers ahead of me wished to amend their bookings.  It became apparent that each had originally booked a Special Offer fare including a vehicle.  The Steam Packet staff were extremely helpful in searching their systems for alternative bookings, all of which were at Standard Fare prices. 

I don't know what each passenger paid initially, but none of them were prepared to pay the new fares.  One was quoted in te region of £700, which was more than double their original fare.  They remarked they just wanted to amend their original booking, not buy the Steam Packet.   

They might want to work on their set up for data protection if you were able to hear all the whys and wherefores of each booker.

2 hours ago, BriT said:

“Excluding the [massive] fuel surcharge”

That said these are the idiots who got the living wage wrong for 5 years. 

These idiots are running the island with other idiots. 

2 hours ago, Mysteron said:

Computer says no! 

3 minutes ago, asitis said:

A priority must be to get transport costs and reliability sorted, everything we do here depends on these issues.

I thought it was too fleece businesses, and passengers. Increase the sales of bacon baps as well.