an MHK wants more warning signs on the promenade

Omobono

38 minutes ago, 2112 said:

Now isn’t the time be banging on about fossil fuels, and nice to haves (up to date medical grade and hospital standard) toilet facilities. It’s worth noting that there are disabled toilets at the sea terminal, which must satisfy the criteria and modern standards. I would expect a hoist if there were changing/showering facilities for the disabled.

What trivial questions is Ms Faragher asking?

23 hours ago, Gizo said:

Appears to be a rite of passage for cyclists to fall due to the tram tracks. Yep, it happened to me as I overtook a car waiting to reverse into a bay. I was aware of the tracks but it had been raining and I touched and down I went. It bloody hurt. Yep my fault. I was more pisssed off with the fact as I lay sprawled on the road the car behind me just drove past me. 

As cyclists say however you only do it once!

It should be made a legal requirement that all cars should have dash cameras, So when this kind of things happen, people should be able to pass the footage to the police, so they can decide if you were riding without due care and attention.

Just now, Holte End said:

It should be made a legal requirement that all cars should have dash cameras, So when this kind of things happen, people should be able to pass the footage to the police, so they can decide if you were riding without due care and attention.

Stop being a bell end

1 minute ago, Gizo said:

Stop being a bell end

I have to say I agree there. I was in front of a car yesterday that had a big “smile you’re on CCTV sticker on the bonnet” that I could see in my mirror and all I thought was what sort of absolute bellend does that? Probably the nosy neighbour type who gets off in creating trouble for people.

10 minutes ago, Holte End said:

Not to trivialise the accident but I used to find getting my tyres stuck in the rails the best bit of the journey! So exciting. 

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, slinkydevil said:

sign.png

Exactly! 

Coming soon to a City near you. 

One of the worst bits of the old prom were the signs everywhere. Outside the Villa Marina there were more signs than people. 

I enjoy the lack of signs on the new prom. It’s tram tracks FFS. They’re right in front of you. Where you’re looking. 

More personal responsibility please. Less signs. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Roxanne said:

Not to trivialise the accident but I used to find getting my tyres stuck in the rails the best bit of the journey! So exciting. 

The tyres don't get stuck in the rails. What happens is that the tyres go into the slot which means you can't turn the wheel.

To balance on a bike you make micro adjustments with the front wheel (unconsciously) . As soon as you are in the groove then you can't do this so, whoops, you are off in an instant.

Sometimes its comedy, sometimes its serious. 

1 hour ago, Happier diner said:

The tyres don't get stuck in the rails. What happens is that the tyres go into the slot which means you can't turn the wheel.

To balance on a bike you make micro adjustments with the front wheel (unconsciously) . As soon as you are in the groove then you can't do this so, whoops, you are off in an instant.

Sometimes its comedy, sometimes its serious. 

Also the rails are as slippery as Roger Moore covered in teflon when wet.  You've only got a tiny contact patch on a bike tyre that can be smaller than the actual rail.  Usually if your front tyre even slips a bit, you're down before you realise what's happened, back tyre you'll probably just do a cool looking drift.  Best to hit them at as close to 90 degrees as possible to minimise the time you are on them. 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Gizo said:

Stop being a bell end

You fell off your bike in traffic, you admit it was your own fault,                                   someone was waiting for a parking place and you decided to overtake knowing  the tram tracks were there, with poor visibility due to the rain.                                                                                   

You have to wonder how many times the police have charged anyone under the Road Traffic Act 1985 Section 12
Page 25
12 Careless and inconsiderate cycling
If a person rides a cycle, not being a mechanically propelled vehicle, on a road
without due care and attention, or without reasonable consideration for other
persons using the road, he shall be guilty of an offence.

Edited by Holte End

36 minutes ago, Holte End said:

You fell off your bike in traffic, you admit it was your own fault,                                   someone was waiting for a parking place and you decided to overtake knowing  the tram tracks were there, with poor visibility due to the rain.                                                                                   

You have to wonder how many times the police have charged anyone under the Road Traffic Act 1985 Section 12
Page 25
12 Careless and inconsiderate cycling
If a person rides a cycle, not being a mechanically propelled vehicle, on a road
without due care and attention, or without reasonable consideration for other
persons using the road, he shall be guilty of an offence.

Let me guess, taxi wanker.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

In 1912 or thereabouts many towns had  tram systems that operated in the middle of the road.It wasn’t ideal then and worse as traffic density increased and motor vehicles became more commonplace.

It seems extraordinary, then to ignore the obvious that a tramway in the middle of any 21st  century road presents hazards.

Having decided to retain the tramway and  totally rebuild the promenade it is difficult to understand why the opportunity to relocate the  tramway to somewhere safer and more convenient - )either side or on the prom but any where other than the middle of a busy road)  was not taken.

If  and when the trams run again it would seem we have managed to retain all the disadvantages of an Edwardian traffic system and a 21 st century one by unimaginatively cobbling the two together.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1