Jump to content

Newsons


Katman
 Share

Recommended Posts

59 minutes ago, Dave Hedgehog said:

They said it is because a third outdoorsy type store is moving into Strand Street. Who is that?

I heard Mountain Warehouse is moving into the old Top Shop store but not heard of another store coming 

Mountain Warehouse is definitely moving in to Top Shop.

https://www.chrystals.co.im/commercial/commercial-sales/property/10903738-strand-street-douglas

New 10yr lease at £175k/yr.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Katman said:

I see Venture Outdoors (Newsons) shop is up for rent or sale.

https://www.chrystals.co.im/commercial/commercial-lettings/property/11569500-strand-street-douglas

I think they were a bit daft, moving away from their core business and going into an market to compete with the likes of Millets and Mountain Warehouse.

 

 

Core business being workwear? There is a shop selling workwear on every industrial estate and down every high street. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Annoymouse said:

How is there any profit left when they’re paying that sort of rent? Is it some sort of tax write off?

That rent is half the £350k/yr that Topshop were paying when the building was last sold. Apparently Card Factory on the corner is £125k/yr too.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, NoTailT said:

That rent is half the £350k/yr that Topshop were paying when the building was last sold. Apparently Card Factory on the corner is £125k/yr too.

That's a lot of cards and wrapping paper!

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Annoymouse said:

Core business being workwear? There is a shop selling workwear on every industrial estate and down every high street. 

The core business was as a heritage attraction reminding you how your grandad shopped, then they moved to Strand Street and it just seemed a bit weird and out of place.

In the final move they just went for lowest common denominator of cheapy outdoor style clothing but if you are going for Regatta / dare2be etc you can't be that fussed and just as likely to buy Mountain Whorehouse, Peter Storm or Karrimor shit, they should have perhaps gone the other way, towards high quality like Mountain Equipment, Patagonia etc as we don't have any decent outdoor clothing and equipment outlets.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, HiVibes said:

they should have perhaps gone the other way, towards high quality like Mountain Equipment, Patagonia etc as we don't have any decent outdoor clothing and equipment outlets.

Tynwald Mills has a decent collection of technical outdoor clothing, although North Face does unfortunately seem to have been appropriated by the chavs in the last couple of years.

Makes you wonder what the Company's thoughts would be on such a thing....

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, The Phantom said:

North Face does unfortunately seem to have been appropriated by the chavs in the last couple of years.

Makes you wonder what the Company's thoughts would be on such a thing....

North Face think...

money-paper.gif

I have friends in Australia who say North Face is all over the youth there too. They're making a kiliing and if you look at their website, it's a fashion brand aimed at that very market.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, slinkydevil said:

North Face think...

money-paper.gif

I have friends in Australia who say North Face is all over the youth there too. They're making a kiliing and if you look at their website, it's a fashion brand aimed at that very market.

I have never understood the stupidity of people paying a premium to advertise companies...just so they can be 'in fashion' with their mates.

It's a sales tax on the inept...going straight to the brand and its shareholders.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 minutes ago, slinkydevil said:

North Face think...

money-paper.gif

I have friends in Australia who say North Face is all over the youth there too. They're making a kiliing and if you look at their website, it's a fashion brand aimed at that very market.

Actually yeah, should have thought that. TNF is now listed so all the shareholders will care about is sales. No care who to.

Interestingly the founders of both TNF and Patagonia were old climbing buddies and both set up around the same time originally selling climbing equipment. TNF founder sold out in the 80s I think. Patagonia is still predominantly owned by its founder, who actually bought a lot of Patagonia and set aside as a nature reserve. Lots of ethical and feel good stuff about that co too.

8 minutes ago, Albert Tatlock said:

I have never understood the stupidity of people paying a premium to advertise companies...just so they can be 'in fashion' with their mates.

It's a sales tax on the inept...going straight to the brand and its shareholders.

I'll happily pay what some would think is silly money for clothes from brands that I agree with ethically/responsibility/environmentally or are highly technical in nature.

Theres four or five cos that I predominantly buy all my clothes from due to being happy with the above after looking into their business models.

In an ideal world, people would take more responsibility with their purchases. Not throw away fashion or because some 'designer' wrote their name on something. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...