Vj Day Parade On Douglas Prom

Beckett

Who on earth 'promotes' these things? I didn't have a clue anything was on until I looked out the window and saw that the prom was closed from the Villa down!

Manx Radio have put something on their site, but usefully gave the time frame of, 'this afternoon'.

Edited by Beckett

The good old BBC. Nice one.

Maybe with our £5million a year they really could provide a good service for us. They won't be afraid to report ALL the news either.

A fantastic parade. The bands did a superb job too.

I noticed the Police were well out in force. They'll be a bit stuck for something to do these days, what with pulling largely out of the TT and MGP races. What ever will they do now?

I suppose we can expect to see a few more drug dealers and burglars caught now. Oh, I forgot, they might get hurt doing that. Perhaps best to sit in the patrol cars or the police station and count the days to the ££pension.

I didn't see it and, although it was undoubtedly a wonderful occasion and a well-deserved celebration of the incredible sacrifices our forefathers made on our behalf - I have to spoil it slightly with a small gripe.

I was on the Seacat which arrived from Belfast at around 2:15 p.m. The fact that the Lcoh Prom was closed meant no problems for me but, for arriving visitors, it caused chaos! Loads of drivers, clutching instructions on how to reach their hotels by driving along the Prom were suddenly diverted into Lord Street. Foot passengers were looking in vain for taxis because their vehicles had to make enormous diversions to get to the sea terminal!

None of that would have mattered - if the people on the boat had been informed about what was happening!

Yet again, a total lack of communication managed to give visitors to our island a very unpleasant initial impression of it. Surely someone involved in organising the event could have thought of asking the Steam Packet to make an announcement about it during the journey.

Yet again, a total lack of communication managed to give visitors to our island a very unpleasant initial impression of it. Surely someone involved in organising the event could have thought of asking the Steam Packet to make an announcement about it during the journey.

Ahh, you mean the Steam Packet Communications Manager, Geoff Corkish.

Maybe with all the celebrations at the Villa on Friday night (175th Steam Packet Anniversary) and singing a couple of songs on stage at the event this afternoon Geoff clean forgot about the Steam Packet boat arriving. :)

Edited by nipper

It's not just the Steam Packet though, Manx Radio were telling everyone to go down and never once thought to mention that Loch Prom was closed. Along with that damn lifting bridge, there was some chaos there today

Hey don't diss the bridge! Is it only me - I think that bridge looks quite stunning - it's not very grand or anything but seems to add something to the harbour area. At least it's an improvement on the thing they had there before it.

The fine building that houses the machinery for the previous bridge is still there.

Apparently the chap who used to run it retired and offered to keep everything in fine fettle when he retired but his offer was turned down.

With my cynical head on, I reckon there must be a secret plan to let it fall into ruin and then knock it down and put some Dandara Harbour Side Flats there or something.

Next time you're down that way take a look at the fine old building on the South side of the new bridge.