Annual Crime Figures 2021-22

The Annual Crime Figures for 2021-22 have been released in the Chief Constables report, which will be going in front of Tynwald. According to the NPM, there was a 6% drop in crime, which included, a 14% drop in drug offences. Gary Roberts is parroting a new IOMG strapline/slogan - ‘the island is safer than anywhere else in the UK’. 

Im glad that crime is falling, perhaps Gary Roberts will scrap his egotistical ambitions to pursue new legislation at the drop of a hat, and his desire for border controls. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, 2112 said:

The Annual Crime Figures for 2021-22 have been released in the Chief Constables report, which will be going in front of Tynwald. According to the NPM, there was a 6% drop in crime, which included, a 14% drop in drug offences. Gary Roberts is parroting a new IOMG strapline/slogan - ‘the island is safer than anywhere else in the UK’. 

Im glad that crime is falling, perhaps Gary Roberts will scrap his egotistical ambitions to pursue new legislation at the drop of a hat, and his desire for border controls. 

Thoughts on this:

1) the IOM isn't in the UK

2) using the UK as a comparison sets a pretty low bar.

3) People just don't bother reporting crime as so much of it goes unsolved. 

• Like 5

2 hours ago, 2112 said:

‘the island is safer than anywhere else in the UK’. 

1) I find it disappointing that the Police have made these claims without (yet?) sharing the evidence to support them.

2) It is sad that our media outlets repeat such claims uncritically, especially where the actual numbers do not appear to be publicly available (yet?).

3) I doubt that this claim is true: the crime rate in a number Scottish local government areas (LGAs) appears to be (much!) lower than the crime rate in the Isle of Man, but it is not possible to compare the data because of (1). It is certainly possible the claims made by the IOM Police are true if the numbers are calculated in some way, but the headline figures currently show IOM having much higher crime rates than various Scottish LGAs. For example, it is plausible that the Scottish LGAs with lower crime rates have significantly more serious crimes, and the IOM Police have somehow adjusted for that, but it is not possible to verify either way.

4) Organisations which have a strong commitment to intellectual honesty and transparency will typically publish their data in spreadsheets. Organisations which have a dubious commitment to transparency publish their data in PDF files. Organisations which have a positively hostile commitment to transparency publish their data in JPG images.

• Like 3
  • Confused 1

Is that a 14% drop in drug offences or a 14% drop in drug offences detected? 

If you've got a jetski you're ok......

I’m very sceptical of anything that comes out of Gary Roberts mouth. Like others have said, a lot of crime is unreported, because the chances of catching anyone is slim, and any punishment by the courts is extremely limited.

They're too busy out on the roads. I got stopped by one because he thought my tax disc was out of date - it wasn't, he still gave me a producer though? He was all full of his own importance in his high visibility jacket - as opposed to the invisibility jacket him and his mates were wearing a couple of years ago when every bodies house was getting tanned.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Josem said:

1) I find it disappointing that the Police have made these claims without (yet?) sharing the evidence to support them.

2) It is sad that our media outlets repeat such claims uncritically, especially where the actual numbers do not appear to be publicly available (yet?).

3) I doubt that this claim is true: the crime rate in a number Scottish local government areas (LGAs) appears to be (much!) lower than the crime rate in the Isle of Man, but it is not possible to compare the data because of (1). It is certainly possible the claims made by the IOM Police are true if the numbers are calculated in some way, but the headline figures currently show IOM having much higher crime rates than various Scottish LGAs. For example, it is plausible that the Scottish LGAs with lower crime rates have significantly more serious crimes, and the IOM Police have somehow adjusted for that, but it is not possible to verify either way.

4) Organisations which have a strong commitment to intellectual honesty and transparency will typically publish their data in spreadsheets. Organisations which have a dubious commitment to transparency publish their data in PDF files. Organisations which have a positively hostile commitment to transparency publish their data in JPG images.

To be fair to the Police, I would expect the actual Chief Constables Report to be published in the next day or so, and that (or rather the Charts and Tables supplement) usually contains all the figures that anyone could possibly want.  Here's last year's for comparison.  All we've got so far is a graphic on Twitter:

The Isle of Man Constabulary has today released its year end data for the year that ended on 31st March 2022.  The main points are: • Overall recorded crime levels fell by 6%, with 2765 offences being recorded.  • The overall detection rate increased by 3% to 46%.  • There were reductions in all categories of crime, except for sexual offences, which rose by 18%, and minor assaults, which increased by 2%.  • Burglary fell to its lowest level in several decades, with a combined total of fewer than seventy commercial and domestic burglaries occurring.  • Serious assaults fell by 17%.  • Over £600,000 worth of drugs were seized.  • There were slight reductions in mental health cases and in domestic incidents.  • Road traffic collisions rose by 14% when compared to the 2020 pandemic year, but were very similar to 2019 levels.  The data is usually published in the Chief Constable’s annual report, which has been prepared but which will not reach Tynwald until its

which matches page 4 of last years Report.

I actually find the Police one of the most open parts of government in providing information (you see this in the way they handle FoI requests as well), in part because they have to publish there codified annual reports.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Non-Believer said:

Is that a 14% drop in drug offences or a 14% drop in drug offences detected? 

If you've got a jetski you're ok......

Well there would be a 14% drop in drug offences as during 2020-21 the borders were closed and they easily found a load of idiots posting drugs into the IOM. Now its back to normal they can't spot all those cars stuffed with Class A coming off the boat every week. Just like they haven't been able to do in the previous 20 years either.  

4 hours ago, A fool and his money..... said:

They're too busy out on the roads. I got stopped by one because he thought my tax disc was out of date - it wasn't, he still gave me a producer though? He was all full of his own importance in his high visibility jacket - as opposed to the invisibility jacket him and his mates were wearing a couple of years ago when every bodies house was getting tanned.  

Sorry struggling a bit here.

”gave me a producer”?

”every bodies (sic) house was getting tanned”

Could you explain what these mean?

Thanks

15 hours ago, The Voice of Reason said:

Sorry struggling a bit here.

”gave me a producer”?  He means a leaf from the HORT1 book.

”every bodies (sic) house was getting tanned”  It was sunny  -  there was a lot of sun bathing going on

Could you explain what these mean?  Happy to help

Thanks - You're welcome.

Sorted - innit.

A news article on the NPM today regarding the police assisting the investigation of two missing dogs in the North of the Island. Whilst it’s upsetting for a pet to go missing, and I have seen the missing dogs appeals on Facebook, I don’t think it’s a good use of resources having police investigating - unless it’s putting up a missing poster in Ramsey Police Station. 

28 minutes ago, 2112 said:

A news article on the NPM today regarding the police assisting the investigation of two missing dogs in the North of the Island. Whilst it’s upsetting for a pet to go missing, and I have seen the missing dogs appeals on Facebook, I don’t think it’s a good use of resources having police investigating - unless it’s putting up a missing poster in Ramsey Police Station. 

Hasn't there been some stories about suspicious activity in gardens and the likes with suspicion of possible theft of pets etc. Maybe its something to do with that sort of thing. Bit strange for two dogs just to disappear.