Jump to content

JK Rowling Manx Flag Controversy


Amadeus
 Share

Recommended Posts

13 hours ago, hissingsid said:

Rowling is entitled to an opinion as is everyone but she is not entitled to disrespect our National flag by introducing it into her Twitter rants, nor the flag of any state it just demonstrates what an ignorant, graceless person she is.   Why did she not use the Scottish flag ?   Glasgow is her birth city after all.

Incorrect. Born in Yate. She wasn't in Scotland until her first marriage failed and even then in Edinburgh.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

38 minutes ago, offshoremanxman said:

Another good one today. Someone compelled to apologize for something that hadn’t even happened at the time. 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-62061739

Never, in history, in any other context, has an actor, producer or writer looked back and said that something might've been questionable in hindsight.

Simply never happens, does it?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

35 minutes ago, offshoremanxman said:

Another good one today. Someone compelled to apologize for something that hadn’t even happened at the time. 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-62061739

I think that is perfectly fair and actually quite diplomatic, heading off the possibility of 'cancelling'.

I have avoided getting dragged into this somewhat intractable debate as I think there needs to be a degree of tolerance and understanding on both sides.  Personally,  I have no problem with a trans (in either direction)  going into a ladies' loo.  I might feel a little different in the gents where there is less privacy. 

 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

36 minutes ago, Gladys said:

I think that is perfectly fair and actually quite diplomatic, heading off the possibility of 'cancelling'.

 

Why should anyone live in persistent fear of woke idiots cancelling them? Especially when you’re talking about 3 episodes of a sitcom in 2001 before all the pronoun idiocy started? The whole thing is getting out of control.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, offshoremanxman said:

Why should anyone live in persistent fear of woke idiots cancelling them? Especially when you’re talking about 3 episodes of a sitcom in 2001 before all the pronoun idiocy started? The whole thing is getting out of control.

You seem to long for a return to the 'good old days' when you could say and do what you want.

I have just the job for you mate and plenty of vacancies.......just send your application marked c/o The Rt Hon Boris Johnson MP.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, offshoremanxman said:

Another good one today. Someone compelled to apologize for something that hadn’t even happened at the time. 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-62061739

The whole thing is fairly odd, not least the belief of the BBC that 'father' is a pronoun - never mind the whole complicated business as to how you should refer to trans parents.  But this really struck me:

She went on to say Friends also "did not have enough representation of black people" and that she was "clearly part of systemic racism in our business".

"I was unaware of that, which makes me feel stupid," she said, adding: "That was a very valid, extremely difficult criticism which still... I get emotional about.

"If I knew then what I know now, there are certain things I would have changed. But I didn't know them and I have since learned."

Now if there's one thing that Friends was relentlessly mocked for at the time it was first broadcast, it was that it managed to make New York City, which was less than 45% white at the time, look like it was in the rural Midwest as far as the faces on screen went.  So to have been unaware of that shows just how detached from reality people in the media were.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, jackwhite said:

You seem to long for a return to the 'good old days' when you could say and do what you want.

I have just the job for you mate and plenty of vacancies.......just send your application marked c/o The Rt Hon Boris Johnson MP.

Free speech is free speech. Nobody should live in fear of internet pitchfork mobs taking down their rights to work just because they heard something they didn’t agree with - that’s basically censorship enforced by mob rule. It’s all getting a bit like Matthew Hopkins and this 16th Century witch-hunts. If you say you’re not a witch then clearly .. you're a witch.

Edited by offshoremanxman
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

The whole thing is fairly odd, not least the belief of the BBC that 'father' is a pronoun - never mind the whole complicated business as to how you should refer to trans parents.  But this really struck me:

She went on to say Friends also "did not have enough representation of black people" and that she was "clearly part of systemic racism in our business".

"I was unaware of that, which makes me feel stupid," she said, adding: "That was a very valid, extremely difficult criticism which still... I get emotional about.

"If I knew then what I know now, there are certain things I would have changed. But I didn't know them and I have since learned."

Now if there's one thing that Friends was relentlessly mocked for at the time it was first broadcast, it was that it managed to make New York City, which was less than 45% white at the time, look like it was in the rural Midwest as far as the faces on screen went.  So to have been unaware of that shows just how detached from reality people in the media were.

I suppose it's easier to be blind to that sort of thing when the whole industry is doing similar.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, offshoremanxman said:

Free speech is free speech. Nobody should live in fear of internet pitchfork mobs taking down their rights to work just because they heard something they didn’t agree with - that’s basically censorship enforced by mob rule. It’s all getting a bit like Matthew Hopkins and this 16th Century witch-hunts. If you say you’re not a witch then clearly .. you're a witch.

Alas, no such thing as free speech here.

There's freedom of expression in the Human Rights Act, which under Manx law dictates:

Quote

The exercise of these freedoms, since it carries with it duties and responsibilities, may be subject to such formalities, conditions, restrictions or penalties as are prescribed by law and are necessary in a democratic society, in the interests of national security, territorial integrity or public safety, for the prevention of disorder or crime,

So, where does it fall if someone is spouting that which could be seen as not fulfilling those duties and responsibilities?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, AcousticallyChallenged said:

So, where does it fall if someone is spouting that which could be seen as not fulfilling those duties and responsibilities?

You need to give it a rest Citizen Smith. It’s just embarrassing reading the stupid right-on leftist rubbish you post. The only people who you seem to think have freedom to speak is you and everyone else needs to shut up so as not to offend you and your moronic wokey friends who might have a damn good cry about it all on Twitter 😂

  • Haha 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Steady Eddie said:

You need to give it a rest Citizen Smith. It’s just embarrassing reading the stupid right-on leftist rubbish you post. The only people who you seem to think have freedom to speak is you and everyone else needs to shut up so as not to offend you and your moronic wokey friends who might have a damn good cry about it all on Twitter 😂

You another creepy Twitter stalker? 

I was just going to unhide mine too!

As soon as I get that message outing me I will. 

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Steady Eddie said:

You need to give it a rest Citizen Smith. It’s just embarrassing reading the stupid right-on leftist rubbish you post. The only people who you seem to think have freedom to speak is you and everyone else needs to shut up so as not to offend you and your moronic wokey friends who might have a damn good cry about it all on Twitter 😂

Oh bless you. How do you deal with such embarrassment? It must be really hard for you.

I never knew that letting people piss in peace is 'being woke'. It's amazing what you can learn from those that think everyone else's business is theirs.

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...