JK Rowling Manx Flag Controversy

Amadeus

17 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

This used to confuse me too.  The convention seems to be that the noun is the person's current gender, while 'trans' is operating as an adjective to indicate that their previous one was different.  So a trans woman is someone who currently identifies as a woman (but previously wasn't) rather than a woman who is/has transitioned to a man.

(TransMann must be so grateful they put in that second 'n').

Thanks.  That makes sense.

ETA the laughing emoji was re your reference to TransMann!

Edited by Gladys

It trips my dyslexic brain up (like the whole my left or your left thing). I find if I just ignore the trans part everything makes sense for every practical I'm going to have it's irrelevant.  If someone says they're a woman why debate it.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Declan said:

It trips my dyslexic brain up (like the whole my left or your left thing). I find if I just ignore the trans part everything makes sense for every practical I'm going to have it's irrelevant.  If someone says they're a woman why debate it.

quite possibly because the dangly bits are a dead giveaway...

22 minutes ago, Declan said:

I only ask to find out whether the person has made the journey or is yet to start it.  

Edited by Gladys

54 minutes ago, Gladys said:

I only ask to find out whether the person has made the journey or is yet to start it.  

The terminology of "transgender man" or "transgender woman" doesn't really give any indication of that.  Nor should it I suppose, someone's medical history is their own business. Some people are happy to share whether they've begun to transition, be it socially, pharmacologically or surgically, or not at all, but it's not really built into any of the terminology.

"The Transgender Issue" by Shon Faye is really good, and a real eye opener. https://www.penguin.co.uk/authors/141689/shon-faye

Why is even a concept? We are born with our bits as nature intended. A vanishingly small number have “odd bits” in that context and deserve understanding and help. Medical science cannot make girl into a boy, or vice versa.

To say that a boy who likes frocks and dolls is trans is nonsense; he’s a boy who likes frocks. We have general, social acceptance that anyone may be physically attracted to anyone else, whatever their sex. So why not just accept that people like different things? This is simply a revamp of the “Old” prejudices - pink for girls and blue for boys.

so glad I was brought up in different times. As a girl who wanted to be a fighter pilot, I might have been told I was a boy in a girl’s body. Not the case.

14 minutes ago, Flyingfemme said:

Why is even a concept? We are born with our bits as nature intended. A vanishingly small number have “odd bits” in that context and deserve understanding and help. Medical science cannot make girl into a boy, or vice versa.

To say that a boy who likes frocks and dolls is trans is nonsense; he’s a boy who likes frocks. We have general, social acceptance that anyone may be physically attracted to anyone else, whatever their sex. So why not just accept that people like different things? This is simply a revamp of the “Old” prejudices - pink for girls and blue for boys.

so glad I was brought up in different times. As a girl who wanted to be a fighter pilot, I might have been told I was a boy in a girl’s body. Not the case.

What a sad, ill-informed post.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, GD4ELI said:

What a sad, ill-informed post.

That’s the problem with this subject. Nobody gets to have a view if they don’t explicitly agree with everything they want you to agree with. It’s just bullying. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1