Tynwald day predictions.

5 minutes ago, Mr Helmut Fromage said:

Michelle Mone’s fashion advisor and small business guru knocking out £500 frocks whilst representing Douglas at £66k per annum - Total embarrassment - Kind of kit you’ll get if you’re a Co-Op girl……….

8D2BFFAE-9F90-402D-9F0F-C110A59D1461.jpeg

Whats the baked alaska  doing on her head though ?  

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, hissingsid said:

You didn’t see any of the Tynwald haters there because they were all on here posting.   If you don’t like it don’t go.   Finding fault with everything and everybody bunch of miserable old git’s.

I don’t hate Tynwald.  If my leg wasn’t bust I would have gone.

That doesn’t mean I can’t question the reasons why people we pay to represent us can’t be arsed to get properly dressed or stand up for what they believe in.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, AOR said:

ICBA looking it up, but I'm pretty sure that there are seats that are always there for representatives of the Scottish Islands that make up Sodor & Mann but they are rarely if ever used.

Not since about 1266 I reckon.

I wonder if it is more that they seem to have had very few invited off-Island guests this year, only 7 compared to say 15 in 2019.  And no on-Island ones that they used to 'paper the house' in the years between.  It will have left some gaps

17 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

I wonder if it is more that they seem to have had very few invited off-Island guests this year, only 7 compared to say 15 in 2019.  And no on-Island ones that they used to 'paper the house' in the years between.  It will have left some gaps

and someone forgot to tell the boys not to put too many seats out ! it is the DOI who do the logistical arrangements for Tynwald , thats why there has been  no  work done on the schools and government buildings for several weeks , 

38 minutes ago, hissingsid said:

You didn’t see any of the Tynwald haters there because they were all on here posting.

Sid, it's not the hating, more to do with our right to question the Pomp n Ceremony in these days and coercing our elected into taking part? I wouldn't object to Pans People dancing from the Church to the Hill, even in Spandex and Top Hats but that is not why we elect these MHKs!!!!

In fact I would go so far as to say that an MHK who relishes this Day is not, perhaps, there for the right reasons?

Time to end the frivolities, costumes and pomp asnd let our elected get on with the job and show respect to the electorate???

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

41 minutes ago, hissingsid said:

You didn’t see any of the Tynwald haters there because they were all on here posting.   If you don’t like it don’t go.   Finding fault with everything and everybody bunch of miserable old git’s.

I don’t like it so I didn’t go - it’s an awful mix to be honest- 979 Viking etc but it’s a Christian Service- Paradox 1

Over a 1000 years of being fantastic but in 2022 we still can’t pardon  homosexual convictions but still ask individuals to fill in forms to ask for forgiveness- fuck me seriously fucking   Wow - just fucking wow

Saying Christian prayers when it’s a minority religion- refer last cencus

• Like 7

4 hours ago, Omobono said:

Bollocks !

3 hours ago, Roger Mexico said:

There was an article in the Daily Record (...yes,  know) about it, maybe 5 or 6 years ago. There is a standing invitation but it is rarely taken up.
For the last 20 years that I know of, there have been 6 empty seats on one of the tiers at the back.
The list of attendees is precise so bar sudden illness etc, there should be no empty seats. Although this year there were quite a few more (Covid?)

7 hours ago, SleepyJoe said:

I believe that demand was withdrawn by JPW today, live on camera

Do you mean the need to apply to have the pardoned offence removed from your criminal record?

Its not satisfactory, but I can’t see that there is any alternative. It’s not straightforward. Even if the records can be searched and entries deleted electronically.

The pardon and right to remove isn’t blanket. It’s limited to offences which would not be offences if committed today. So the circumstances and age of participants at time of offence ( not date conviction recorded ) have to be taken into account and assessed. Those things aren’t recorded as part of the criminal record.

Lets take a hypothetical example. 14/15 year old in 1987 gets picked up and groomed by group of older men. He actively anally penetrates some of the older men. They are all arrested. Long enquiry. Charges brought 3 years later. He’s an adult. He’s convicted. The older men aren’t entitled to a pardon - underage sex is still a crime. Problem is, neither is he…

Today of course he’d be seen as a victim and never have been charged. 

• Thanks 2

One day, real democrats will realise that democracy is about representing the people and being representative of the people and dressing up in silly fancy dress and indulging in fabricated ceremony does nothing for democratic principle or making politics relevant. If you want to see a parade of pomp and ego that’s fine, but this is 2022 and politics should be about our time and our issues. Having some deference to heritage is good but imitating the past is pointless and silly. I suspect that if it were possible to bring some Victorians into the present time they would be shocked that a passing fashion of their era was being worn for a day and would laugh at those doing so. 
Skelly and Watterson are both ridiculous in everyday life so looking a bit more ridiculous on Tynwald day is no big issue. But the rest of the MHKs; get a grip. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

14 hours ago, Youaintseenme said:

No. That would be completely different as it wouldn’t be a paid position that he had voluntarily put himself forward for.

Ok say you were the , anti religious manager of a football team. A paid position that you had put yourself forward for. Your team reaches the F A Cup final

Would you boycott it due to the singing of the hymn “Abide with me”?

Or, if a republican, boycott it because of the singing of the National Anthem, God save the Queen.

I don’t think so.

15 hours ago, Mr Helmut Fromage said:

Michelle Mone’s fashion advisor and small business guru knocking out £500 frocks whilst representing Douglas at £66k per annum - Total embarrassment - Kind of kit you’ll get if you’re a Co-Op girl……….

8D2BFFAE-9F90-402D-9F0F-C110A59D1461.jpeg

Please tell me this has been photoshopped.