Tynwald day predictions.

2 hours ago, Roxanne said:

Please tell me this has been photoshopped.

It’s just a very unflattering photo that’s been used, shes normally found wearing a beautiful smile that exudes confidence so it’s not like there wouldn’t have been other more flattering photos to choose from.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Stu Peters said:

If I was a jerk, I'd insist on new words for the Manx National Anthem though. As with most residents it's not the 'land of our birth' so is discriminatory to over half of the population.

I've always thought Ellan Vannin is better than most countries' national songs. It's not about triumphing over another nation, it's not religious, is gender nutral and doesn't put anyone or anything down. It's applicable to the Manx born and  comeover, exile and resident, ex-residents and the Manx diaspora even if they've never visited, it can mean something to someone who had a happy holiday here once. You just need to have fond memories of the island. It even works if you just have a mythical idea of a place called Ellan Vannin in your mind's eye.

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Declan said:

I've always thought Ellan Vannin is better than most countries' national songs. It's not about triumphing over another nation, it's not religious, is gender nutral and doesn't put anyone or anything down. It's applicable to the Manx born and  comeover, exile and resident, ex-residents and the Manx diaspora even if they've never visited, it can mean something to someone who had a happy holiday here once. You just need to have fond memories of the island. It even works if you just have a mythical idea of a place called Ellan Vannin in your mind's eye.

You mean everything the current one is? No need to change.

1 hour ago, Stu Peters said:

If I was a jerk, I'd insist on new words for the Manx National Anthem though. As with most residents it's not the 'land of our birth' so is discriminatory to over half of the population.

Don't get me started on "Gem of God's Earth"!

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
32 minutes ago, Passing Time said:

You mean everything the current one is? No need to change.

Well, the current one is religious ("God's Earth"), and "Land of Our Birth" rather excludes those not born here, so Ellen Vannin is more than everything the current one is. 

But the current one is better than most and I didn't call for change.

Edited by Declan
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Stu Peters said:

I have mixed feelings about Tynwald Day. On one level it's about dressing up like Isambard Kingdom Brunel and feeling silly (I bought the morning suit as it works out cheaper than renting if I'm spared long enough to wear it another couple of times), with lots of walking up and down, doffing the hat, lining up in pairs, walking about a bit more, trying to surreptitiously pull the pants up (should have worn braces) and attending a church service. I hate pomp and preening, am a socially inadequate atheist and would rather just get on with the job.

On another level, I'm proud to have been elected to represent people, to be part of the Manx parliament and want to do my best for everyone. Many of my constituents are traditionalists and (whatever the true facts) we do have a thousand year tradition of sitting on the mound once a year. So as with other formal events I'm expected to attend that I'd perhaps otherwise avoid, I put my own preferences to one side and make the best of it because it's 'part of the job'. I am also respectful of religion - it's not for me but I can stand quietly and let others pray and sing without causing offence. I did ask if I could avoid the service, but on reflection I think it's important that all Tynwald members are there as the Chapel is also used for the subsequent Tynwald and Keys sittings.

I get all that. However those MHKs who want to modernise and increase the relevance of politics to the electorate should be organising themselves and challenging this nonsense during the year. On the day, you are stuck with it but we will all be stuck with this crap forever unless some MHKs are willing to stand up and be counted. What proportion of the population attend Tynwald Day? You might be surprised at the support there would be for a challenge to the pomp. 

• Thanks 2

On 7/5/2022 at 10:32 AM, asitis said:

Skelly and Watterson look absolutely ridiculous ! Ashford obviously has huge ego problems ! Bloody nauseating when everything else is a xxxxxxxxx shambles !

123.jpg

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Numbnuts said:

Who's the guy ? She's separated from hubby right ? 

I actually think she is quite good and asks a lot of the right questions. Not so much her one about help for businesses though as it seems it was a bit personal being she has a business.

The guy is me. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Roxanne said:

There was a time in my life when I wouldn't dream of missing it.  I was involved too - and integral part of the whole thing.  I was in St Johns W.I. and was part of the 'massive' that made the sandwiches and baked the cakes. :) I spent the entire day buttering hundreds of slices of bread and making sandwiches.  Ruby Kennaugh from Slieau Whallian and me from across the valley at Ballacain.  Ruby was famous for her drop scones and I'd eat half my body weight in them over the day. It was truly good craic.

On the fairfield the atmosphere was glorious.  Meeting up with people we might not have seen all year. The whole thing, bar a few exceptions, was wholly 'Manx'. Local plants, a few antique stalls, the dancing, the Manx stalls, the Bollan Bane.

We never saw much of the ceremony but we'd meet them after.  Betty Hanson coming for a brew from the huge WI teapot (I still have it).  I really loved it, all of it.

Now I couldn't even be bothered. The nonsense on the hill, the empty seats, the tat on the fairfield.

Like most things, once the government got involved in making it 'bigger and better', introducing afternoon and evening 'activities' - treasure hunts and fireworks and stuff - everyone seemed to just drift away. Most liked it better being able to toddle home in the afternoon and take ourselves off elsewhere to enjoy the hol e day instead of feeling duty bound to hang around until the bitter end.

it must be twenty years since I last went and I knew that last year that I wouldn't return, Instead of being an event run by the people for the people it turned into a money making event. That's when it changed and that's when the good souls drifted away - as evidenced by the empty seats in the grandstand that seem to increase year on year.

What a damn shame.

Very well put. It's very sad how Tynwald Day has been degraded to the poor imitation that it is today. I know many self respecting Manx men and women who no longer want anything to do with the shenanigans of July 5th. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Numbnuts said:

Who's the guy ? She's separated from hubby right ? 

I actually think she is quite good and asks a lot of the right questions. Not so much her one about help for businesses though as it seems it was a bit personal being she has a business.

She was quite right to speak out for the business community, and as a trader herself would have particular insight

• Like 1