Paying at drive through

Just now, Youaintseenme said:

When will it become illegal to pay at McDonald’s, KFC or the upcoming Starbucks drive thru on the island using your phone like it now is in the UK?

It's not illegal to pay using your phone, It's illegal to use your phone to text/call when in the drive thru. Is this another of your ill informed rants...

Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, Passing Time said:

It's not illegal to pay using your phone, It's illegal to use your phone to text/call when in the drive thru. Is this another of your ill informed rants...

Yes it is.  As per the latest Highway Code update.

Unless of course you apply the handbrake and turn the engine off, but people don’t do that which is why I am asking (not ranting)

Edited by Youaintseenme

1 minute ago, Youaintseenme said:

If you can show me that this link is wrong then that’s all good, and the reason for asking the question (and not ranting)

Thanks

https://9to5mac.com/2022/07/05/apple-pay-illegal-drive-thrus/

https://www.jmw.co.uk/services-for-you/motoring-law/blog/new-laws-using-phone-when-driving-can-i-still-pay-contactless-drive-thru

Regulation 3(1)(b) amends regulation 110 by inserting an additional exemption to provide that a person is not in contravention of that regulation where the hand-held mobile telephone or interactive communication device is being used to make a contactless payment at a contactless payment terminal, in compliance with the requirements. Regulation 3(2) inserts definitions for the terms “contactless payment” and “an application”.

As such, the law does not prevent individuals from making contactless payments at drive-thrus.

That's for the UK law at least, which 9to5mac aren't citing correctly.

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, Gladys said:

Cool.

I asked a question based on what I thought was a reasonable source info that quoted the RAC, provoked a short discussion and have got an answer.

Cheers

I am unsure where the hostility came from from some posters?

Edited by Youaintseenme
  • Like 1