Jump to content

Jetskis


McCallig
 Share

Recommended Posts

39 minutes ago, The Phantom said:

Yeah exactly.  There was definitely the intention to go round the Island as I remember there was a lot of moaning from Shark nimbys.  Usually I'd probably veer towards a similar view point, but it was a round the island powerboat race for god's sake!  You've got to make allowances sometimes. 

Possibly be better now.  Up until about 6 years there were loads of sharks, literally 100s of sightings a year.  They have however pretty much all disappeared; last few years sightings in the 10s.  No one know why

 

They probably put "no swimming" signs on the seabed and forgot to take them in. Very obedient fish...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, Numbnuts said:

But would they even see that. It would seem in recent years all there interested in is footfall . I agree though those type of powerful boats eat fuel 

IOMG would love that - think of the VAT receipts from fuel sold.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

45 minutes ago, monasqueen said:

They're avoiding the noise and vibrations from the wind farms.

It's possible.  No one has studied that specifically that I'm aware.  There have been other studies that have shown they can be beneficial for (other) sealife, providing additional habitat and reduced fishing abilities.   

However, there actually seems to be an increase in whales and dolphins over the past few years.  Considering they use echo-location and vocalise to each other, I would have thought they'd be a lot more affected by wind farm noise. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, The Phantom said:

Yeah, these guys are twats.  They actually chased the mother and calf as can be clearly seen in the photos. . . . . . Some places you can get fined for this, not sure about here. 

 

 

Yes, to a fine not exceeding £5,000, per animal disturbed.

Wildlife Act 1990, s9  (Protection of certain wild animals), 

(4A) Subject to the provisions of this Part, any person who intentionally or recklessly disturbs any wild animal included in Schedule 5 or —

(a) a dolphin or whale (cetacean);

(b) a basking shark (cetorhinus maximus);

(c) a seal (all species) (pinnepedia); or

(d) a turtle (marine) (all species) (dermochelydiae and cheloniidae),

shall be guilty of an offence.

https://www.gov.im/media/1363689/wildlife-act-1990.pdf

 

 

Edited by Yibble
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

52 minutes ago, Yibble said:

 

(d) a turtle (marine) (all species) (dermochelydiae and cheloniidae),

shall be guilty of an offence.

https://www.gov.im/media/1363689/wildlife-act-1990.pdf

 

 

The fact they wrote turtles into that act is a bit random.

Literally a handful of sightings ever here. Super rare.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, The Phantom said:

It's possible.  No one has studied that specifically that I'm aware.  There have been other studies that have shown they can be beneficial for (other) sealife, providing additional habitat and reduced fishing abilities.   

However, there actually seems to be an increase in whales and dolphins over the past few years.  Considering they use echo-location and vocalise to each other, I would have thought they'd be a lot more affected by wind farm noise. 

Funnily enough I was talking about this to a bloke who helps runs a fish processing/restocking business in Orkney. they don't think dolphins, whales etc are affected, some fish use the turbine bases as nursing grounds, but male crabs heading to the breeding grounds have a tendency to stop and sit on the sea bed above the power cables running from the turbines.

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, The Phantom said:

Yeah exactly.  There was definitely the intention to go round the Island as I remember there was a lot of moaning from Shark nimbys.  Usually I'd probably veer towards a similar view point, but it was a round the island powerboat race for god's sake!  You've got to make allowances sometimes. 

Possibly be better now.  Up until about 6 years there were loads of sharks, literally 100s of sightings a year.  They have however pretty much all disappeared; last few years sightings in the 10s.  No one know why. 

 

 

images (17).jpeg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Yibble said:

Yes, to a fine not exceeding £5,000, per animal disturbed.

Wildlife Act 1990, s9  (Protection of certain wild animals), 

(4A) Subject to the provisions of this Part, any person who intentionally or recklessly disturbs any wild animal included in Schedule 5 or —

(a) a dolphin or whale (cetacean);

(b) a basking shark (cetorhinus maximus);

(c) a seal (all species) (pinnepedia); or

(d) a turtle (marine) (all species) (dermochelydiae and cheloniidae),

shall be guilty of an offence.

https://www.gov.im/media/1363689/wildlife-act-1990.pdf

 

 

So as they have the registration we can look forward to a prosecution then. Maybe if you let plod know they were in possession of a flake of cannabis we’ll see a result

Link to comment
Share on other sites

There are an awful lot of people here who should really apologise for their recent posts.

Who wants to go first?

Many of you will have seen the recent Facebook posts which have been circulating, of jet skiers supposedly harassing our resident dolphins Moonlight & Starlight near Peel Hill.  

The post showed 4 photographs of the jet skiers including one with a dolphin near the bow of the ski, with the people in question easily identifiable by the images. By looking at the photos, or even watching the encounter from the coast, it could be easy to assume that the jet skiers were doing something wrong, and whilst its great that so many people obviously care about the dolphins and show concern for their safety, it is important to get the full story before jumping to your own conclusions.  

MWDW received a call from the jet skiers and have seen videos clearly showing the dolphins leaping and following the jet skis, with Starlight actively swimming towards and underneath them and riding in the wake and the bow. The dolphins approached them and spent some time with them. On occasions when the skiers turned in a different direction the dolphins would turn and follow them.  

As a direct result of the Facebook post, there were over 100 highly abusive responses and verbal assaults directed at the jet skiers over the next couple of days. Some of these responses really have been despicable and have caused a great deal of anguish to the family.   

Moonlight & Starlight are unlike most dolphins and are very confident around human activity. You may have seen recent posts involving the dolphins approaching swimmers in Port Erin and coming right inshore by the boat fuelling station in Peel. They are extremely brazen and it is important to remember that they are wild animals and will do as they please. MWDW does not condone any form of reckless behaviour around cetaceans or basking sharks. We must remain respectful of them and allow them to behave under their own terms, and we ask you, if you do witness anything that you have reason to believe to be a concern to speak to us and the Wildlife Crime Unit first before taking the law into your own hands. MWDW is about engaging and providing education where it is needed and abusing people online does nothing to help this. 

Please contact us directly with any queries rather than commenting on this post.”

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Because no one ever links or sources where stuff comes from, I have to point out that the above post (from "Many of you..." is from Manx Whale and Dolphin Watch's Facebook page, in a post put up about 3 hours ago.

I have also to point out that 'an awful lot of' people did not comment on the apparent harassment of the dolphins (reading the topic you will see it was mainly about other jet-ski related issues, and those few that did, didn't name anyone.

While the jet-skiers clearly meant no harm in this case and this pair of dolphins are well known for desiring human contact (perhaps because they have no pod), it might perhaps have been useful if the MWDT had been more explicit about how people should interact with them.  And of course, unless you're an expert in dorsal fin identification, people shouldn't be assuming that that if they encounter a couple of dolphins it's this human-acclimatised pair.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, Roger Mexico said:

Because no one ever links or sources where stuff comes from, I have to point out that the above post (from "Many of you..." is from Manx Whale and Dolphin Watch's Facebook page, in a post put up about 3 hours ago.

I have also to point out that 'an awful lot of' people did not comment on the apparent harassment of the dolphins (reading the topic you will see it was mainly about other jet-ski related issues, and those few that did, didn't name anyone.

While the jet-skiers clearly meant no harm in this case and this pair of dolphins are well known for desiring human contact (perhaps because they have no pod), it might perhaps have been useful if the MWDT had been more explicit about how people should interact with them.  And of course, unless you're an expert in dorsal fin identification, people shouldn't be assuming that that if they encounter a couple of dolphins it's this human-acclimatised pair.

ah, will jet-skiers be a protected group under the new hate crime legislation now?

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, Flumpy said:

There are an awful lot of people here who should really apologise for their recent posts.

Who wants to go first?

Many of you will have seen the recent Facebook posts which have been circulating, of jet skiers supposedly harassing our resident dolphins Moonlight & Starlight near Peel Hill.  

The post showed 4 photographs of the jet skiers including one with a dolphin near the bow of the ski, with the people in question easily identifiable by the images. By looking at the photos, or even watching the encounter from the coast, it could be easy to assume that the jet skiers were doing something wrong, and whilst its great that so many people obviously care about the dolphins and show concern for their safety, it is important to get the full story before jumping to your own conclusions.  

MWDW received a call from the jet skiers and have seen videos clearly showing the dolphins leaping and following the jet skis, with Starlight actively swimming towards and underneath them and riding in the wake and the bow. The dolphins approached them and spent some time with them. On occasions when the skiers turned in a different direction the dolphins would turn and follow them.  

As a direct result of the Facebook post, there were over 100 highly abusive responses and verbal assaults directed at the jet skiers over the next couple of days. Some of these responses really have been despicable and have caused a great deal of anguish to the family.   

Moonlight & Starlight are unlike most dolphins and are very confident around human activity. You may have seen recent posts involving the dolphins approaching swimmers in Port Erin and coming right inshore by the boat fuelling station in Peel. They are extremely brazen and it is important to remember that they are wild animals and will do as they please. MWDW does not condone any form of reckless behaviour around cetaceans or basking sharks. We must remain respectful of them and allow them to behave under their own terms, and we ask you, if you do witness anything that you have reason to believe to be a concern to speak to us and the Wildlife Crime Unit first before taking the law into your own hands. MWDW is about engaging and providing education where it is needed and abusing people online does nothing to help this. 

Please contact us directly with any queries rather than commenting on this post.”

Got to love the local lynch mob mentality. In June it's directed at people walking on the TT Course and over the next few days I suspect it will be aimed at anyone with a dog who would dare to think of walking them.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...