Nightime operations at Ago's leap

Omobono

4 hours ago, Kopek said:

Hello, would it be asking too much for you to speculate on these crashes? There were two out of how many?  Were they off the racing line. Are there differences in the floor contours between pure circuit outfits and road racing outfits? What drags the outfit to the right? Is it the chair wheel? Is it the weight of the passenger? The passenger out of position? Is it the road contour?

It  is  two out of so many, what was the difference???

If you are not part of the inquiry, can you answer?

I'm always wary of self proclaimed experts. 

2 hours ago, Happier diner said:

I wasnt referring to you. I was referring to MrNoakes

But @Mr Noakes wasn't declaring himself an 'expert', merely relating his own experiences and those who had spoken to him on the topic.  You may choose to disbelieve him, but he's acting as a witness not an expert.

But even to any outsider, the double accident was always going to look very suspicious, given the resurfacing.  After all the DoI aren't exactly famous for their skills in the area - and that includes instruction and supervision of their 'experienced' subcontractors.  Given that they seem to be unable to design roads to have water run off them and the concept of drainage appears to be a mystery, retaining the contour of the road so that it provided an unchanged experience for racing after reconstruction was always going to be more luck than anything.

In fact it may be worse than that.  The name 'Ago's Leap' has worried me a bit - after all launching vehicles into the air isn't normally seen as a plus-point in road design.  Could the DoI (possibly with the encouragement of the DfE/ACU) have decided to amend things there to make the effect even more 'exciting' and simply forgotten about the sidecars?  Or just not got it right.

16 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

In fact it may be worse than that.  The name 'Ago's Leap' has worried me a bit - after all launching vehicles into the air isn't normally seen as a plus-point in road design.  Could the DoI (possibly with the encouragement of the DfE/ACU) have decided to amend things there to make the effect even more 'exciting' and simply forgotten about the sidecars?  Or just not got it right.

Well that the thing.  At normal road speeds it's not a leap at all.  Even breaking the speed limit substantially you probably still wouldn't leap.  It's only at 100 mph + (or whatever speed they are doing through there) does it become a leap.  As a road, it's not even a consideration, but as a racetrack.... 

I suppose the only way to actually test it was during racing.  The DOI weren't going to send test dummies over it at 100 mph + to see what happens after completion.  

58 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

Or just not got it right.

It will likely just be the usual shit job for a department that can’t even install tram lines that horse trams can run on, or which fails to realize that you can’t have an expanding steel rail right next to concrete without having an expansion joint in it. Or who can’t make a bridge usable by traffic because they’ve put a 10 ft cycle lane in it. Or which completely invents bizarre crossing layouts that aren’t in the Highway Code which people subsequently get killed on.

You just know how it’s going to pan out. 

Edited by MrGarrison
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, MrGarrison said:

It will likely just be the usual shit job for a department that can’t even install tram lines that horse trams can run on, or which fails to realize that you can’t have an expanding steel rail right next to concrete without having an expansion joint in it. Or who can’t make a bridge usable by traffic because they’ve put a 10 ft cycle lane in it. Or which completely invents bizarre crossing layouts that aren’t in the Highway Code which people subsequently get killed on.

You just know how it’s going to pan out. 

Said a spokesman!

2 hours ago, The Phantom said:

Well that the thing.  At normal road speeds it's not a leap at all.  Even breaking the speed limit substantially you probably still wouldn't leap.  It's only at 100 mph + (or whatever speed they are doing through there) does it become a leap.  As a road, it's not even a consideration, but as a racetrack.... 

I suppose the only way to actually test it was during racing.  The DOI weren't going to send test dummies over it at 100 mph + to see what happens after completion.  

Surely they have enough dummies who would volunteer!

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, Roger Mexico said:

But @Mr Noakes wasn't declaring himself an 'expert', merely relating his own experiences and those who had spoken to him on the topic.  You may choose to disbelieve him, but he's acting as a witness not an expert.

But even to any outsider, the double accident was always going to look very suspicious, given the resurfacing.  After all the DoI aren't exactly famous for their skills in the area - and that includes instruction and supervision of their 'experienced' subcontractors.  Given that they seem to be unable to design roads to have water run off them and the concept of drainage appears to be a mystery, retaining the contour of the road so that it provided an unchanged experience for racing after reconstruction was always going to be more luck than anything.

I don't chose to disbelieve him. However his comments on reprofiling the road are naïve and make me doubt his credibility.

A few corrections

1. The road was not reconstructed. It was a deep planed but it was resurfaced back to its original profile as far as I could see. I walked passed daily and they applied the same thickness of top coat all across the road and the levels align at both sides (as near as dam it

2. The new road drains very well

3. There is no way on earth that the DOI would reprofile a road to make it more exciting. Not sure if this was a joke but makes you sound less credible as well.

I have said all along that I agree that suspicion lies with the new surface. However that does not mean that anyone necessarily got it wrong. Its just a road surface.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, The Phantom said:

Surely the roads people use Isle of Man TT racing experts to assess the track and various roadworks etc. once anything has been done, and who check the course roads periodically and report back?

• Haha 1