Drunk in charge of a mobility scooter, man loses licence?

Max Power

I'm not condoning this behaviour but I would have thought that driving a vehicle which requires no licence would prevent the courts from being able to take your licence away, or endorse it? If he had no licence to lose, what would have been the outcome? Can he still drive a mobility scooter?

https://www.iomtoday.co.im/news/riding-a-mobility-scooter-while-drunk-costs-offender-his-driving-licence-557544

The whole legal situation around mobility scooters seems very unclear and uncertain.

In a 'first' today, I saw a guy driving one on the mountain road today! As it happened there was a police motorcyclist and a police van at the Bungalow. He stopped to talk to them and then carried on toward Brandywell, so presumably his actions were deemed safe, legal and not a danger to anyone! 

6 minutes ago, Max Power said:

I'm not condoning this behaviour but I would have thought that driving a vehicle which requires no licence would prevent the courts from being able to take your licence away, or endorse it? If he had no licence to lose, what would have been the outcome? Can he still drive a mobility scooter?

https://www.iomtoday.co.im/news/riding-a-mobility-scooter-while-drunk-costs-offender-his-driving-licence-557544

The courts were right, the mobility scooter wasn’t his, he thought he could hide behind it and nothing would happen, but he was found out. No sympathy for him. 

26 minutes ago, 2112 said:

The courts were right, the mobility scooter wasn’t his, he thought he could hide behind it and nothing would happen, but he was found out. No sympathy for him. 

It doesn't matter whether it was his or not, it's no illegal for anyone to use one. If he stole it, that's a theft matter but the question is, can his driving licence be taken away when no licence is needed to drive one, and can he still drive a mobility scooter?

According to the Road Traffic Act 1985:

5A Driving or being in charge of vehicle with alcohol above prescribed limit
[P1998/52/5]
(1) If a person —
(a) drives or attempts to drive a mechanically propelled vehicle on a road or other public place, or
(b) is in charge of a mechanically propelled vehicle on a road or other public place,
after consuming so much alcohol that the proportion of it in his breath, blood or urine exceeds the prescribed limit he is guilty of an offence.

So a mobility scooter would certainly qualify as 'mechanically propelled' and will be dealt with in the same way as if a car was the vehicle.

As far as drunk in charge of a bicycle goes, here's a 2009 MF thread on the topic.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Numbnuts said:

I came into this expecting to see the name Eric Corkish mentioned. A surprise that theres another mobility scooter rider causing trouble and its not him  🤣🤣

But it took place in Ramsey. Maybe it was Corkish's mobility scooter.  Maybe it is haunted and forces its riders to do mad things like get drunk or go on buses.

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

But it took place in Ramsey. Maybe it was Corkish's mobility scooter.  Maybe it is haunted and forces its riders to do mad things like get drunk or go on buses.

Love it...OMG were all doomed now as we will make the front of the courier 🤣

and it looks like he had a driving licence which has now been  terminated for s few years until he re takes his test , silly boy its a pity he wasn't done for impersonating  a disabled person ,as well 

I am more concerned about another report by “court reporter” AKA Jason Roberts which details contents of a probation report and the fact that someone has issues with alcohol.

Why? Whose business is it and who benefits from that info being published?

They do the same when people are stated in court to have long term mental health struggles.  They publish that info for all to see for no reason other that to generate clicks and likes.

Its scummy reporting

In this case the guy was stupid and has been punished in line with the law.  Why it is deemed necessary to name him and air his drink issues in public I will never know.

Edited by Asthehills

1 hour ago, Roger Mexico said:

According to the Road Traffic Act 1985:

5A Driving or being in charge of vehicle with alcohol above prescribed limit
[P1998/52/5]
(1) If a person —
(a) drives or attempts to drive a mechanically propelled vehicle on a road or other public place, or
(b) is in charge of a mechanically propelled vehicle on a road or other public place,
after consuming so much alcohol that the proportion of it in his breath, blood or urine exceeds the prescribed limit he is guilty of an offence.

So a mobility scooter would certainly qualify as 'mechanically propelled' and will be dealt with in the same way as if a car was the vehicle.

As far as drunk in charge of a bicycle goes, here's a 2009 MF thread on the topic.

The Road Traffic Act excludes invalid carriages from being classed as a mechanically propelled vehicle in Section 69B. 

if the vehicle is mechanically propelled it shall be treated for the purposes of this Act and the Road Traffic Regulation Act 1985 as not being a motor vehicle;

The only thing that may exclude you is that it says that it should be being used in the “prescribed conditions”. Which appear to be that you do actually have a condition or disability that warrants the use of the scooter. 

From what I can see, if it’s a scooter used with a genuine need for it, you can’t be breathalysed for driving it, as it’s not a motor vehicle per the Act. 

I’d put forth that the chap in questions problem was the fact it was a borrowed scooter and he had no medical need for it that allowed him to be charged as he was. 

• Thanks 1