New Schedule for TT 2023

hissingsid

Has anyone tried to make comment on the survey that is out at the minute, closes 19th August. ¬† I have just filled it in twice as the first time apparently I had not had the appropriate cookies¬†ūüė™¬†it is very bland and it will not make any difference to the outcome but I did anyway. ¬† ¬†I have been given a number of registration to quote if I want to comment further. ¬†It is obviously an exercise to illustrate the open and transparent government we have and our opinions matter¬†ūü§£.

• Haha 3

10 hours ago, hissingsid said:

Has anyone tried to make comment on the survey that is out at the minute, closes 19th August. ¬† I have just filled it in twice as the first time apparently I had not had the appropriate cookies¬†ūüė™¬†it is very bland and it will not make any difference to the outcome but I did anyway. ¬† ¬†I have been given a number of registration to quote if I want to comment further. ¬†It is obviously an exercise to illustrate the open and transparent government we have and our opinions matter¬†ūü§£.

You are correct , they have already made their minds up ,and the excuse will be people have already made their booking based on the new race schedule  ,which in fact should not have been declared of  published until after the consultation , but this is how government operates these days , they have an agenda of their own , and the  local population  can go and swivel !  there is no doubt  there is going to be  a lot of animosity towards the races when people see the 2023 road closures 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, Manx Bean said:

So basically, another full-blown DfE clusterfuck..

Todays clusterfuck, tomorrow’s crisis.

Still I thought DfE along with the Treasury was run by KPMG? Or CM Cannan? Rob Callister? 

2 hours ago, Manx Bean said:

So basically, another full-blown DfE clusterfuck..

Nothing clusterfuck about it at all...they'll have decided well in advance what they want to (hopefully) happen and "consulting" the GMP in this fashion is just lip service.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I can understand the reasoning, theoretically shorter road closing times, but more of them? I think the big issue is that we will be capable of bringing more people over and get them away quicker but we have only 6,500 permanent bed spaces, plus homestay and camping. They are trying to maximise attendance by having two peaks to the racing. Some will stay for the whole thing, but quite a lot have a short break of 4-5 days and don't see the whole programme.  

Max, we could take a stand at Daytona Speed Week and get to more people than actually come here!!!

.........but we want their money!!!!!!!!!!! Is it a Sporting Event or a revenue event???

It used to be a sporting event now it is a revenue event as Is the MGP.     I still think the amount it costs to facilitate these two events must be exorbitant and no one will ever try to calculate it in terms of time and money.    There is a lot of talk about the trade that these events procreate but a lot of this is shared by a few big players, there is always a fair amount of extra revenue for some other businesses and there is always the trickle down effect but all the big stores extra takings go off Island but the true worth of the two events is possibly over estimated. All businesses do not fare well and a lot of locals do not venture out and about for various reasons to spend money.   How many people would holiday on the Island in May /June, light nights, decent weather but obviously don’t come because of the races, likewise August / September ?    I don’t know.  If the green lot get their way I would give it another five years and then we will find out.

1 hour ago, hissingsid said:

It used to be a sporting event now it is a revenue event as Is the MGP.     I still think the amount it costs to facilitate these two events must be exorbitant and no one will ever try to calculate it in terms of time and money.    There is a lot of talk about the trade that these events procreate but a lot of this is shared by a few big players, there is always a fair amount of extra revenue for some other businesses and there is always the trickle down effect but all the big stores extra takings go off Island but the true worth of the two events is possibly over estimated. All businesses do not fare well and a lot of locals do not venture out and about for various reasons to spend money.   How many people would holiday on the Island in May /June, light nights, decent weather but obviously don’t come because of the races, likewise August / September ?    I don’t know.  If the green lot get their way I would give it another five years and then we will find out.

Your first sentence says it all 

No axe being ground as I have nothing but respect for those involved in the racing, even though I have no interest in the racing (it frightens me).

But whilst it may have started as a sporting event it's been a revenue event for most of its history. The TT and MGP started and ended the tourist season and have been a nice earner for Manx people for decades. 

Only difference now is that the revenue goes to government to spend rather than directly to the Manx people.

Edited by Stu Peters
  • Like 1

And spend it with no malice or aforethought on shite, that has helped the greater manx public no end.  We bow our heads to their superior knowledge and wisdom, which make these MHKs giants in the world of commerce. To suggest they need training is an insult, and should they deem it necessary to have a 27% wage rise, I for one would not think that to high for steering us with a steady hand in the direction of a ruddy great iceberg. 

• Confused 1