Gary Robert’s’ annual report

19 minutes ago, Lightening McQueen said:

I read that burglaries are down by 40%, could this be due to people working from home and being put on furlough, rather than any action from the boys and girls in blue?

Maybe the burglars can't afford the fuel to go out and about!

Edited by finlo
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Wavey Davey said:

The minute he can’t bust anyone for 50p of weed he’ll be down to less than 10 crimes a year!

They have a new tool to bump the crime figures, the drugs swabs.  Which they are using liberally with no lawful reason for stopping people, and no way to provide that the persons driving is impaired.

• Like 5

The actual Chief Constable's Annual Report is here.  Unlike last year it doesn't contain lots and lots of pretty photos like last year's, as there is no longer the need to keep Cregeen distracted.  Though the typeface is bigger and Roberts says it contains fewer words and complains about having to simplify things for the masses.

The Independent led on his pointing to the fall in the value of police pay in real terms by about 20% over recent years (presumably following the UK's lead) and the  effects that will have (see page 29):

I have made mention elsewhere of the way that police officer pay has fallen in recent years. Police officers have had a real pay reduction of about 20% over the last decade and many are struggling to make ends meet. Student constables start on £24,000 a year and many young officers cannot find their way onto the housing ladder.

In recent months officers, including sergeants, have told me about how hard things are for them. Some have little or no disposable income towards the end of the month; some cannot afford to have a social life; some cannot afford dental treatment.

I accept that very many people are suffering because of the lasting effects of the pandemic and because of inflation, but the damaging consequences of low police pay could be felt across the community for a long time. Fewer officers, fewer good officers, poor morale and even, in a worst case scenario, corruption were all unintended consequences the last time police pay fell in real terms, which was in the 1970s.

I'm not completely convinced by this (the police were also pretty corrupt in the 80s when Thatcher was throwing money at them) but it illustrates the existing problem, even before the latest crisis, that there is with frontline staff in the public service.

There's a lot of other rather strange things in the Report (eg the listing of all the rape cases) where Roberts is clearly demob-angry and determined to imply a lot of things that have been annoying him for a while.

2 hours ago, cissolt said:

They have a new tool to bump the crime figures, the drugs swabs.  Which they are using liberally with no lawful reason for stopping people, and no way to provide that the persons driving is impaired.

How long they will be liberal with them is another matter (p 24):

At the start of 2022 legislation became effective allowing for the use of drug wipes to detect drug-driving offences. Each wipe costs about £14 and the off-island testing of each sample costs upward of £600. In their first two months of use more than seventy cases were detected. Sadly the IOMC had pointed out the likely expenditure implications when the legislation was first proposed, but no extra funds were given. This means that the force’s forensic science budget will likely largely be overspent within the first quarter of the 2022-23 year.

It makes little difference whether your family get wiped out by a drink driver or a drug driver, the horror is the same. I applaud the fact we now have the technology to detect offenders, who hitherto may have carried on with smug impunity, knowing the chances of detection were small !

• Like 3

1 hour ago, asitis said:

It makes little difference whether your family get wiped out by a drink driver or a drug driver, the horror is the same. I applaud the fact we now have the technology to detect offenders, who hitherto may have carried on with smug impunity, knowing the chances of detection were small !

I would agree with that if the evidence showed even one accident, let alone death caused by a stoned driver.  If people use cannabis for pain relief the levels in the blood would be testing positive days after with no impairment to their driving.

This is a law against people who have used cannabis at any the time, not to prevent accidents. We also doubled the UK sentencing guidelines.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

I'm always intrigued by the phrase "reported crime". Naturally, if it isn't reported it can't be dealt with or recorded. However, on the last 3 occasions I had cause to report a crime the local plod couldn't have been less interested to to be honest.  Consequently, if being a responsible citizen that reports crime gets no reaction, you wonder how many simply don't bother anymore?

2 hours ago, asitis said:

another turkey in yesterdays rag , 2 year ban and  800 quid fine , 

• Like 1