Government can’t help everyone

Bandits

Last week government reported an increase in the numbers of unemployed and at the same time advised that 100 less jobs were being advertised compared to the previous week. This indicates to me that our economy has already started to contract (recession).

There is a loss of consumer confidence resulting in less spending in local businesses which are presumably rethinking whether they need to hire staff, and in a couple of cases are closing. The winter months will see our tech and finance companies cutting overheads, and then jobs, then we will be in real trouble. Especially as the only area government seems to have been able to grow over the last four or five years has been government numbers which will do nothing to grow the economy.  

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, asitis said:

It seems to me they can see the glacier of shit which is sliding inexorably towards the islands economy , but don't have the first clue how to do anything about it !

this is their response.

hid.jpg

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

8 minutes ago, asitis said:

It seems to me they can see the glacier of shit which is sliding inexorably towards the islands economy , but don't have the first clue how to do anything about it !

IOMG see but nothing but positive statistics, which I think are manipulated for the public, and to justify their spending. When it’s widely predicted that inflation could hit 18% in January 2023, how will the island cope? 

• Sad 1

18 minutes ago, 2112 said:

IOMG see but nothing but positive statistics, which I think are manipulated for the public, and to justify their spending. When it’s widely predicted that inflation could hit 18% in January 2023, how will the island cope? 

Is it widely predicted? I have only heard one American banker from Citi suggest it, and the media scaremongering with it. 

• Like 4

3 hours ago, 2112 said:

Todays belters comes courtesy of the NPM and the IOMG. The 15 year plan is believed to be costing ‘KPMG could be paid £2 million’ for its work. The Treasury says it can’t give an accurate figure yet. I thought this piece of fantasy fiction was costing £1 million, it seems that whatever IOMG are commissioning these days is completely over budget, or as per usual we are not getting the full story. 

Still IOMG can’t help everyone but it can certainly help its friends. 

Are KPMG friends of government? Certainly they are laughing all the way to the bank with their £2m, but - in my very personal view - the Cannan Administration haven't adopted their recommendations with anything that could be described as gusto

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Zarley said:

Allegedly they do want to get the average taxpayers' view, but MR can't be bothered to ensure a link to the consultation is published. We'll probably never hear anything more about it until it's closed and Cannan claims it was a roaring success that backs his plans. 

This will be yet another poorly advertised, lip-service consultation where the taxpayers' views will be ignored and the responses shredded at the first opportunity. 

Yes, I'm cynical. Can you blame me?

Do what you can to respond to the suggestions in the draft plan

1 hour ago, asitis said:

Despite having spent £2m on independent advice?

• Sad 1

3 minutes ago, SleepyJoe said:

Government owns Manx Radio

Government doesn’t! The taxpayers own it, as we are both shareholders, investors and in some cases the overall listeners. Sadly Government use it as their propaganda tool to publish what they want to condition the minds of their listeners and website readers. 

• Like 3

I think you may find that government - or Treasury - as the single share holder has a good deal more influence than the muggins taxpayer

Interestingly Dr Allinson is coming to be seen very much as the politician for our times - will Treasury being the shareholder assist in forming support for his vision of a new strategy for government?

9 minutes ago, SleepyJoe said:

Are KPMG friends of government? Certainly they are laughing all the way to the bank with their £2m, but - in my very personal view - the Cannan Administration haven't adopted their recommendations with anything that could be described as gusto

They are going hell for leather in their population drive. Have you not seen the locate.im banners afixed to walls on the TT course? 

It will be interesting to see if there was a expression of interest/tender exercise for the 15 year plan? Or if other big name accountants were asked like PWC, Deloittes etc. No doubt the phrase ‘Commercial Confidentiality’ will be trotted out.

• Like 1