Disposable barbeques

McCallig

1 minute ago, McCallig said:

Why haven't all island retailers withdrawn these from sale?

I assume you are referring to drought like conditions band how inconsiderate disposal of these can lead to fires.

I don’t know. Why haven’t all Island retailers withdrawn matches, lighters, gas bottles etc from sale.

The problem isn’t the product. It’s the inconsiderate user.

Anyway I have a couple of these in my garage ( as many others probably have), I doubt I will use use them till next year but withdrawing them from sale won’t eliminate their use.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

7 minutes ago, The Voice of Reason said:

I assume you are referring to drought like conditions band how inconsiderate disposal of these can lead to fires.

I don’t know. Why haven’t all Island retailers withdrawn matches, lighters, gas bottles etc from sale.

Yep, and that's enough for them to be banned. By definition they are used in nice hot, dry weather and like say, the good old dog owner who leaves their dog poop hanging from a tree, consideration is intended but not really fully executed.

1 minute ago, AOR said:

Yep, and that's enough for them to be banned. By definition they are used in nice hot, dry weather and like say, the good old dog owner who leaves their dog poop hanging from a tree, consideration is intended but not really fully executed.

Would you ban the sale of kitchen knives? Which have the potential to kill if not used for the purpose for which was properly intended?

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, The Voice of Reason said:

Would you ban the sale of kitchen knives? Which have the potential to kill if not used for the purpose for which was properly intended?

You're being like that Mr Logic chap now, who was a character in the Viz when I were a lad*.

I'm 100% with you, but there have been widespread calls for their sale to be banned. In UK, Tesco and Sainsbury have stopped selling them now, and their use has alreay been banned in various places UK.

Edited to add: In the same vein, unbelievably, there have been calls to ban the sale of hosepipes.

*a quick google suggest Mr Logic is still with us

Edited by AOR

I've got a flame thrower on the way from Amazon but they say it will take another 2 weeks until it gets here. Think we should be safe by then. 

Tbf years ago many areas of the countryside would have a controlled burn every 3 or so years, that doesn't seem to be a thing anymore. Does that make the landscape more vulnerable to this kind if thing? 

Also while the trains are still running I'm not sure what benefit banning disposable BBQs would be. All a bit Doom Coven-y wanting Government to control everything.

3 minutes ago, The Voice of Reason said:

The last time I checked a kitchen knife would not have caused last nights massive fire at Studland Bay.

You should never, ever, underestimate the UK fuckwit factor.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, AOR said:

You're being like that Mr Logic chap now, who was a character in the Viz when I were a lad*.

I'm 100% with you, but there have been widespread calls for their sale to be banned. In UK, Tesco and Sainsbury have stopped selling them now, and their use has alreay been banned in various places UK.

*a quick google suggest Mr Logic is still with us

Yes Mr Logic,  me The Voice of Reason. It does fit nicely.

I used to love Viz. Don’t think you could get away with The Fat Slags these days though!

• Haha 1

22 minutes ago, The Voice of Reason said:

Anyway I have a couple of these in my garage ( as many others probably have), I doubt I will use use them till next year but withdrawing them from sale won’t eliminate their use.

Yes he’s referring to one apparently having caused this fire today. How the fuck you can be so dumb and reckless to use one in dry headlands when - if you really must - you could have plonked it next to the sea on the beach next to it and safely extinguished it there afterwards is a riddle to me. Some people are apparently simply really really stupid. 

Is it certain this was the cause? The Brigade can be " inventive" is calling cause. One time i attended an aftermath of a small fire in Ramsay, the brigade had called " electrical fault" I spoke to a fire officer pointing out that there was only an aerial in the fire vicinity,  " We have to say something " was his response.

[ A tealight was the actual cause.]

• Like 1