Useful Tips on saving money

Lilly

I realise after following manx forum for few years now, we are blessed with many experts on different subjects, l need tips on how to survive for the next year basic money saving ones please, example would be l make my own preserved fruit jam for my toast to cut out sugar l keep the fruit plums usually until they are ripe and sweet,  no sugar needed these come free or bought cheaply but what is the unit cost of my hob  electric for cooking process, this of course is just one example l am trying to adopt many different ways as possible to cut my bills etc.

You may well asked this is in the wrong section, transportation cost add to cost of everything. 

Let me know your ideas to help some of us survive the massive costs of living.

Thank you 

Don't throw away food.  Most veg can be frozen, some will require cooking first, but do that and freeze in portions.  For example, buy a big bag of cheap brand peppers.  Slice them up and freeze them, no need to blanch them first.  Much cheaper than buying frozen sliced peppers, same with onions (just give the bag a couple of slams on the kitchen counter to break the slices up mid way through freezing). 

Trust your nose rather than the sell by date.

Have a regular 'fridge fallout' meal where you make do with what is in the fridge to use stuff up.

Edited by Gladys
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Interesting thread.

Unfortunately it is easier to save money when you have spare money to start with.  You will not all the examples above so far either assume people are already spending more than they need to and can cancel Netflix etc or that they are lucky enough to have a big freezer.

Most ways of saving money involve spending money in the short term for example a smart thermostat or a more efficient boiler could be a good purchase now.  Even electric heating systems are starting to make sense if you have the upfront cash.

Also when I was really skint I would go through four or five sets or £30 work boots a year.  Now I get 18 months out of a pair that cost me £90.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, Gizo said:

Cancel Netflix 

cancel prime

stop smoking

stop buying hello fresh

stop buying unnecessary shit from China (forever)

Stop buying ready meals

cook food in batches and freeze

buy a jumper 

Thats a start

The next year or so is going to also have a massive effect on the economy of our consumerist society which has naturally been based on ever increasing consumption, buy, use, throw away, rinse and repeat. That's going to hit manufacturing and importing of our increasingly disposable goods.

There's going to have to be a lot more mend and make do, or even do without altogether. Some sections/generations of our society will have never known such strictures anyway but maybe the older generations will adopt more easily, having grown up with less.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, Gladys said:

Don't throw away food.  Most veg can be frozen, some will require cooking first, but do that and freeze in portions.  For example, buy a big bag of cheap brand peppers.  Slice them up and freeze them, no need to blanch them first.  Much cheaper than buying frozen sliced peppers, same with onions (just give the bag a couple of slams on the kitchen counter to break the slices up mid way through freezing). 

Trust your nose rather than the sell by date.

Have a regular 'fridge fallout' meal where you make do with what is in the fridge to use stuff up.

Re-cycle your old Bloomers?  (And I don't mean a type of loaf. Although I do understand that some can "hit the spot" !)  🤣

• Haha 1

21 minutes ago, Asthehills said:

Also when I was really skint I would go through four or five sets or £30 work boots a year.  Now I get 18 months out of a pair that cost me £90.

I don't know if you were aware of it, but there's actually an economic theory called Boots Theory based on exactly this observation (as originally expressed by Terry Pratchett).  Sometimes it's called the Poverty Premium which makes it more explicit that the poor end up paying more for things, for it doesn't just apply to footwear.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

7 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

I don't know if you were aware of it, but there's actually an economic theory called Boots Theory based on exactly this observation (as originally expressed by Terry Pratchett).  Sometimes it's called the Poverty Premium which makes it more explicit that the poor end up paying more for things, for it doesn't just apply to footwear.

Being poor is expensive.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

8 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

I was aware of it and couldn’t think of the name (it’s pretty obvious when you remind me 😂)

It a very real issue that often gets ignored.  Fact is that the less money you have the more you pay for stuff and the harder it is to make cut backs.

The world is broken and I don’t see any signs of it being fixed anytime soon especially when peoples suggestions to save cash are to bulk buy and freeze food or cancel luxury items

• Like 4