Jump to content

Useful Tips on saving money


Lilly
 Share

Recommended Posts

so what is the cost of a unit of electricty when paid for at an EV charging point  vs what the cost is when you pay your household bills ?  i'm wondering if after taking losses into account whether it is worth charging a car in public and then using the car to power the house when you get home until it is discharged to a level with enough range left in the car to get back to the public charge point ??

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

My thoughts.....Us of the older generation were in an awful situation in living conditions, financial situation, working situation and lack of protective legislation, however, we didn't have the constant pressure of the media trying to sell image, nick nacks, electronics, electric cars, bigger this, bigger that and there was not the means to indoctrinate the masses such as there is now.

I suppose there is a part of me that feels sorry for some of the current generations  and their lack of knowledge, awareness and lack of empathy for the older generations. Even more so I feel sorry that they are so bombarded with pressured advertising both visual and auditory and the ability of big corporations, financial institutions and energy companies to do what they like, avoid taxes and take ridiculous, immoral profits.

I'm aware that us oldies are also faced with all those negatives but at least we have seen hard times and are better equipped to deal with them.

Just a thought, a long one I know but it's up for rational discussion , (not aggression though).

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Anyway, given the much bellowed choice of "heating or eating",  I would go for eating every time. "We might be starving to death but at least we're warm" just doesn't cut the mustard with me.

Lash an extra jumper on and get tucked into a ready meal, is what I would do.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 8/15/2022 at 2:05 PM, Asthehills said:

A 70mile range?  No thanks!

That would mean me having to charge every single day as I couldn’t do work and back twice.  God forbid a phone call to say Mum had fallen and could I get there or Nobles ASAP and wanting to put my foot down on a cold day to do a 20 mile trip with an indicated range of anything less than 50.

Anyone who thinks an old EV is a way of saving money is wrong.  End of

There are charging points at nobles if you need it 😀

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, WTF said:

so what is the cost of a unit of electricty when paid for at an EV charging point  vs what the cost is when you pay your household bills ?  i'm wondering if after taking losses into account whether it is worth charging a car in public and then using the car to power the house when you get home until it is discharged to a level with enough range left in the car to get back to the public charge point ??

Cost of charging  in a public charger is the same as the cost of standard electric at home 

If you have the electric vehicle electricity tariff or the comfy heating  tariff the electricity will be cheaper at home during off peak periods 

Using the car battery to power the house is something which has been considered and I believe there are already trials for that .

Handy as you can use the car battery to store power from off peak periods and use it at peak periods 

Or generate using  solar and use the car battery like a power wall when needed ..

Not sure when it will be possible here but I read an article of this being trialled in a UK for the public..

Edited by mad_manx
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, mad_manx said:

Cost of charging  in a public charger is the same as the cost of standard electric at home 

If you have the electric vehicle electricity tariff or the comfy heating  tariff the electricity will be cheaper at home during off peak periods 

Using the car battery to power the house is something which has been considered and I believe there are already trials for that .

Handy as you can use the car battery to store power from off peak periods and use it at peak periods 

Or generate using  solar and use the car battery like a power wall when needed ..

Not sure when it will be possible here but I read an article of this being trialled in a UK for the public..

Google V2G lots of info there.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, Amadeus said:

Ah yes, as opposed to old ICE cars that never develop faults, are totally free to maintain, and run on cheap fuel....oh wait. Your views are short sighted. My i3 is the REX version and on EV alone I get about 80 miles when it's warm. I can count the times I used the REX on one hand and all of them were because I was too lazy to charge and decided to use it. Not once did I run out of juice. Have you checked the podpoint charging network lately? 

You know that fella in the pub who after 50 years smoking B&H and has just suddenly given up. ^^^

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

40 minutes ago, Gizo said:

You know that fella in the pub who after 50 years smoking B&H and has just suddenly given up. ^^^

Thing is he is still burning carbon and polluting. If you live and work in Douglas and your commute is a couple of miles or less and you don't walk, run or cycle, you are just a lazy slob.

The whole place would just look so much better with less cars and less fat people waddling round Douglas.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Lilly said:

Okay l think EV is not for me at this time , although l like the idea. 

I would to asked about Solar power for my electricity bills. Question 1) is it possible to have Solar panels that are affordable? 2) Do we have a working scheme on the IOM  so excess power can be sold back to our grid covering the cost of the said panels I including installation costs?

I'm really concerned about rising energy bills like many other people.

I do know an example of this and it works but it has to be government funded 0% government loan payed back out of the excess power sold back to the grid.

Does anyone have any opinions or suggestions if this is possible on the isle of man.

 

 

You can get a pretty effective heat pump for about a grand plus installation if you only need to do 1-2 rooms. More of a space heater replacement than a house-heating system, but dramatically more efficient than electric/oil heaters. Caveats apply - need to make holes in exterior walls for pipes, will require installation (or a very handy DIY person), and does require 1k in savings to get started.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

32 minutes ago, HeliX said:

You can get a pretty effective heat pump for about a grand plus installation if you only need to do 1-2 rooms. More of a space heater replacement than a house-heating system, but dramatically more efficient than electric/oil heaters. Caveats apply - need to make holes in exterior walls for pipes, will require installation (or a very handy DIY person), and does require 1k in savings to get started.

Do you need planning permission to stick an air source pump on an outside wall?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, HiVibes said:

The whole place would just look so much better with less cars and less fat politicians waddling round Douglas.

Fixed....

Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 minutes ago, wrighty said:

Do you need planning permission to stick an air source pump on an outside wall?

 

13 minutes ago, finlo said:

I would imagine a £1k unit wouldn't be much bigger than a shoebox!

Something like this:

https://www.aircondirect.co.uk/p/1488432/multi-split-wifi-ready-inverter-wall-air-conditioner-system-with-two-12000-btu-indoor-units-to-a-single-outdoor

So I don't think so? But obviously I'm just an idiot on the internet so maybe ask a professional.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...