Useful Tips on saving money

Lilly

8 minutes ago, Stu Peters said:

Whatever you do, don't listen to the mob and set fire to your MHK. Whilst in my case I would render slowly and provide heat to the community for a considerable time, if my last meal was beans on toast there could be an explosion that would take out half of Santon.

Are they edible? Would many of the population not find the brass neck a little unpalatable..? ūüėā

• Haha 6

18 minutes ago, Dirty Buggane said:

Here's one for government, get shut of the MLC's. Big saving in one foul swoop and save ongoing costs in pension and pay offs.

That would be a foul swoop. Check out the Tynwald website to see what MLCs do apart from scrutinise proposed legislation.

2 hours ago, Zarley said:

How so? She's gone round both shops pricing the ingredients of her Hello Fresh menus, in the quantities needed, and has discovered that HF is indeed cheaper. Perhaps not item by item, but consistently overall. Have you done the same?

Please keep in mind that she doesn't have a large freezer so only buys fresh.

Yeah. I’m sure she has. The working mum who has time to individual pick prices out but has no time to cook a meal. It isn’t cheaper. 

Government could help too.

if your struggling to feed your kids, just put them into the care system.

Then take in retired person, as they don't  eat much and you get a free TV licence

and their pension can add to the coppers.

5 hours ago, Gizo said:

Cancel Netflix 

cancel prime

stop smoking

stop buying hello fresh

stop buying unnecessary shit from China (forever)

Stop buying ready meals

cook food in batches and freeze

buy a jumper 

Thats a start

Wow, I've never had! 

1) netflicks

2) Prime 

3) non smoker   

4) Hello Fresh never had this and several of your other suggestions, however, l have just purchased 2 very nice jumpers from the charity shop and l cook my food from fresh ingredients just as you have suggested, l will now freeze a couple of them. 2 great ideas. 

Thank you Gizo

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, Stu Peters said:

That would be a foul swoop. Check out the Tynwald website to see what MLCs do apart from scrutinise proposed legislation.

Well there is three seconds of my life I won't get back. I just don't know how they cope.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, McCallig said:

Buy a (second hand) fishing rod.

Actually l have several rods and reels to choose from as my late husband was a local sea angle.  I will certainly add that to my list, if l can, and  lm not too squeamish, l noticed there is some of his bait in the bottom of the freezer.. l know l sound really stupid as in the past we did eat what he caught.

5 hours ago, Gladys said:

Don't throw away food.  Most veg can be frozen, some will require cooking first, but do that and freeze in portions.  For example, buy a big bag of cheap brand peppers.  Slice them up and freeze them, no need to blanch them first.  Much cheaper than buying frozen sliced peppers, same with onions (just give the bag a couple of slams on the kitchen counter to break the slices up mid way through freezing). 

Trust your nose rather than the sell by date.

Have a regular 'fridge fallout' meal where you make do with what is in the fridge to use stuff up.

Great ideas Gladys, as l'm finding fresh food really expensive 

Frozen veg is just as good if you are on your own and you can mix and match I steam mine when I am boiling potatoes.    I always cook enough for two days and a chicken will do four meals,roasted,curried,stir fried, salad or sandwich. 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Zarley said:

My daughter gets Hello Fresh for four dinners a week, to feed four adults and a child. She's worked it out that it's cheaper than buying the same ingredients at Tesco/Shoprite. I think it's partly to do with Hello Fresh providing the exact quantities of ingredients needed for a recipe.

It also saves her time as a working mum. 

Like l quoted earlier l don't buy Hello fresh but my daughter and son both do, having young children and both working full time, they say exactly what you have replied to above, and they have much more disposable income.

• Like 1

I have to say I didn't find HF any cheaper, in fact it often needed supplementing to feed a "strapping lad" adequately.  I also found that the meals were very samey, even though they look like there is plenty of variety, when you look a bit more closely, they are often variations on a themefrom week to week. 

I reckon I can feed myself on quite a low budget, mainly because I cook from scratch and buy very little prepared food, and far less prepared and cooked food. For example, pre-cooked carbonara costs around £5, but to make it myself, and it is easy, would only be a couple of quid, and it would be pasta with sauce, not sauce with pasta and not need supplementing.

Perhaps it is a generational thing.

• Like 1

Get rid of your mobile phones. I did years ago. They're not an essential.

Instead of putting the heating on, go for a walk (If you can). Best central heating there is.

Set your boiler to manual and only switch it on when necessary.

Stop washing your clothes all the time. There's no need.

You don't need to shower/bath every day. Particularly in winter. You won't smell.

There won't be much help from Government. They'll only look after the 'haves' and the 'have nots' will just have to do the best they can.