Useful Tips on saving money

Lilly

3 hours ago, x-in-man said:

Stop buying coffees.

You don’t need a new phone.

Ditch all subscription streaming services.

Yes,you are right. I like a caffeine hit about 11am like most people but l usually make my own in a flask just as l like it, although l do occasionally go put with a friend for coffee not very often these days. I don't have a new phone and what is streaming??

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Roxanne said:

Insulate your home. It doesn’t have to cost a lot. Search for heavy, lined curtains in charity shops and make sure your front and back doors are protected. Use newspaper to seal up gaps in windows. Use an old piece of thick fabric to cover your letter box on the inside. 

If you’ve got a fire/burner, take a bag with you and go anywhere with trees and you’ll find enough on the ground to save you buying any kindling through the winter. 

Brilliant thanks.  Good sound advice some of the above l hadn't considered 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, HeliX said:

Counter-intuitive, but if you have online banking and $15 to spare, grab a month of something like "You Need a Budget". It can import all your transactions from an online banking export, and it's handy to do it once in a while to see if you're wasting money on anything you've forgotten about.

Alternatively, if you have plenty of time you can do it manually with a spreadsheet or whatever.

I'm happy with writing down my outgoings although l do sometimes miss stuff off. Great idea though certainly something to consider. 

3 hours ago, Non-Believer said:

Without playing devil's advocate here - what's the score with tv licences here? Are they a legally enforceable requirement on the IoM?

Interesting, although l've always bought one

7 minutes ago, Lilly said:

I'm happy with writing down my outgoings although l do sometimes miss stuff off. Great idea though certainly something to consider. 

Or use a pre pay card like Monzo or Revolut and load a fixed amount on to it every week or month and you get an alert every time you spend money. Don’t just keep dipping into your current account. Decide it’s x pounds a week to spend on extras and when you run out just stop spending until next time you get paid. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, finlo said:

They are currently posting threatening letters through everyone's letterboxes.

Just over 3 years ago we had to move out of our house for essential repairs l informed TV licence of our temporary rental property address transferring tv licence with us , for the next Year they posted threatening letters of court action from our address even though it was empty, nothing inside only builders doing essential remedial works. My husband was fighting cancer at the time going through harsh chemotherapy, l rang them and told them l was taking my own legal action against them if it didn't stop , do you know what their reply was! It's the computer system fault it send out the letters automatically. 

47 minutes ago, Gladys said:

I have to say I didn't find HF any cheaper, in fact it often needed supplementing to feed a "strapping lad" adequately.  I also found that the meals were very samey, even though they look like there is plenty of variety, when you look a bit more closely, they are often variations on a themefrom week to week. 

I reckon I can feed myself on quite a low budget, mainly because I cook from scratch and buy very little prepared food, and far less prepared and cooked food. For example, pre-cooked carbonara costs around £5, but to make it myself, and it is easy, would only be a couple of quid, and it would be pasta with sauce, not sauce with pasta and not need supplementing.

Perhaps it is a generational thing.

I think it could well be a generational  thing as both my children buy Hello Fresh and are very happy with it, and l think it could be down to not having to worry about what's for dinner and having all the different ingredients you might need to buy for plus instructions.

Like the pasta thing  got a chunk of parmesan reduced unwrapped it and put  in tightly wrapped kitchen paper pop inthe fridge will keep for a year.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Shake me up Judy said:

Get rid of your mobile phones. I did years ago. They're not an essential.

Instead of putting the heating on, go for a walk (If you can). Best central heating there is.

Set your boiler to manual and only switch it on when necessary.

Stop washing your clothes all the time. There's no need.

You don't need to shower/bath every day. Particularly in winter. You won't smell.

There won't be much help from Government. They'll only look after the 'haves' and the 'have nots' will just have to do the best they can.

i thought ted had died ???

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Shake me up Judy said:

Get rid of your mobile phones. I did years ago. They're not an essential.

I haven’t had a mobile phone contract in years. Most places you go have free wifi and you can make WhatsApp calls etc. Also binned off my landline for a PAYG 4G router. No fixed line charges or broadband charges just £120 to buy the box outright. That alone saves about £100 a month. Then you drop crap like Sky or Netflix and other subscription services which again can save you about £100 a month. You just have to get rid of your children from the house first. They’re the greedy data users who also insist on all the subscriber channels. 

Edited by Bandits

3 minutes ago, Bandits said:

I haven’t had a mobile phone contract in years. Most places you go have free wifi and you can make WhatsApp calls etc. Also binned off my landline for a PAYG 4G router. No fixed line charges or broadband charges just £120 to buy the box outright. That alone saves about £100 a month. Then you drop crap like Sky or Netflix and other subscription services which again can save you about £100 a month. You just have to get rid of your children from the house first. They’re the greedy data users who also insist on all the subscriber channels. 

Where from? Who is the manufacturer

Whilst making and reading all these savings suggestions never lose sight of the fact that their true purpose is to allow us to divert more of our money into keeping energy market speculators and their institutional shareholders very, very rich.

The fact that people are even on here discussing these economies already is a good indicator that we're already meekly rolling over and accepting it which is just what they want us to do of course.

And as the delightful(?) Liz Truss pointed out a few nights back, we daren't even tax them on it in case they take their money somewhere else.

Edited by Non-Believer
extra bit
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 2