Useful Tips on saving money

Lilly

5 hours ago, HeliX said:

Export transactions from IOM online banking as OFX is the only way.

Thanks, haven’t tried that. Currently entering them manually and thankfully there aren’t too many as I try to use Starling more. 

Pop up a tent in doors. All the cosy without worrying about a damp flysheet.

Get a mate drunk and get them to share their email and subscription password with you.

Defrost the freezer and wine fridge now, then keep both full - that's the most efficient use of them.

Spend Sunday making your own soup and croutons out of last week's bread and veg.

Bulk buy beans and alphabet spaghetti. Pretend it's the 70s and have it on toast.

Grow your own herbs instead of buying them and throwing half away. 

Pinch salt, pepper and sauce pouches at every opportunity. Same for vinegar and sugar. If it was good enough for your grandma.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Lilly said:

Wow, I've never had! 

1) netflicks

2) Prime 

3) non smoker   

4) Hello Fresh never had this and several of your other suggestions, however, l have just purchased 2 very nice jumpers from the charity shop and l cook my food from fresh ingredients just as you have suggested, l will now freeze a couple of them. 2 great ideas. 

Thank you Gizo

I found making things from scratch often costs more than shop bought equivalents, but you make things from scratch because you prefer the taste/want to know the ingredients used or enjoying making things from scratch, not only in an attempt to save money.

Basic living is just being careful with things like electric, switching things off when not in use, heating/hot water, only have it on when you need to use it. Food wise, try to throw away as little as possible, choose dates carefully, store things correctly and they’ll last much longer, try to meal plan where possible (I’m terrible for doing this unfortunately).

Trying not to buy things unnecessarily, there is a huge difference between a ‘want’ and a ‘need’ .

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Dirty Buggane said:

Here's one for government, get shut of the MLC's. Big saving in one foul swoop and save ongoing costs in pension and pay offs.

I challenged Allan Bell to downsize Tynwald when he was doing his 'austerity' schtick

He told me - via Roger Watterson - that to do so would be 'undemocratic'

I wasn't given the opportunity to say that LegCo isn't democratic

1 minute ago, SleepyJoe said:

I challenged Allan Bell to downsize Tynwald when he was doing his 'austerity' schtick

I'm trying to imagine what Allan Bell's strategy for this scenario would be, were he still TM or CM.

Probably throwing money at HNWs faster than it could come off the printers.

• Like 3

Get your brothers and sisters around so you can share the bathwater like the old days. Don't forget the rule to measure the water. Draw lots for the plug end.

Stream * the national anthem at midnight, then turn everything off (and unplug it). walk around in the dark from that point forward. If it was good enough for grandma.

* Set up a repeat alarm 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Lilly said:

Yes,you are right. I like a caffeine hit about 11am like most people but l usually make my own in a flask just as l like it, although l do occasionally go put with a friend for coffee not very often these days. I don't have a new phone and what is streaming??

Still don’t get this caffeine hit thing. I do have the occasional instant coffee at home not paying ridiculous prices for a cafe latte, mocha or other exotic sounding concoctions.

Perhaps someone could clear something up for me. When people say in relation to coffee “ I’ll be climbing the walls” is this because they’ve had too much or too little coffee?

I’ve never experienced this feeling whether I’ve had some cups of coffee or none.

All answers gratefully received.

Don't throw away teabags. Let them dry out and pop 'em in the pot when friends and family come round *

* Start your save the dates now. The more visitors you can have during the cold snap the better. No one's ever been to a cold house party.

Brew your own beer and flavour up vodka to get the party going.

22 minutes ago, SleepyJoe said:

And fucking expensive

19 minutes ago, The Voice of Reason said:

Still don’t get this caffeine hit thing. I do have the occasional instant coffee at home not paying ridiculous prices for a cafe latte, mocha or other exotic sounding concoctions.

Perhaps someone could clear something up for me. When people say in relation to coffee “ I’ll be climbing the walls” is this because they’ve had too much or too little coffee?

I’ve never experienced this feeling whether I’ve had some cups of coffee or none.

All answers gratefully received.

The boost that non-coffee drinkers get from the occasional coffee doesn't exist for coffee drinkers. They need the coffee to get back to the "normal" level that a non-coffee drinker is at without any coffee.

Also coffee is nice, if you buy/make/steal nice coffee.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Shake me up Judy said:

Get rid of your mobile phones. I did years ago. They're not an essential.

Instead of putting the heating on, go for a walk (If you can). Best central heating there is.

Set your boiler to manual and only switch it on when necessary.

Stop washing your clothes all the time. There's no need.

You don't need to shower/bath every day. Particularly in winter. You won't smell.

There won't be much help from Government. They'll only look after the 'haves' and the 'have nots' will just have to do the best they can.

Mobile phones are essential if you run a business and have programs in the cloud that require 2fa

• Like 1