Useful Tips on saving money

Lilly

Have porridge for breakfast, A large bag of oats from Shoprite is only a few pounds and lasts me for weeks. 1 part oats 2 parts milk, microwave for two minutes or in pan and just bring to the boil.

Bits of any fruit mixed with it, yummy.

• Like 5

10 hours ago, Jarndyce said:

I live in an old Victorian terrace, with no garage.   I have to park on the street.

I won’t be buying an EV until someone solves the problem of charging the car under these circumstances.

Use a public charger.. plenty of them around ..  I dont have a charger at home but still been okay for over 3 years now ..

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, mad_manx said:

Use a public charger.. plenty of them around ..  I dont have a charger at home but still been okay for over 3 years now ..

Obviously, I don’t know where you live: but I assume that you have plenty of them reasonably close to you.   However, I haven’t  - leaving an EV on a public charger would involve a walk which would negate the point of the car (come to think of it, that would save even more….).

Also, that’s not a solution for everyone living in such terraces - if we’re forced to go all-ev in the future, I don’t want to be getting into fights with my neighbours every night if they put a handful of public chargers at the end of my road…

• Like 1

1 hour ago, doc.fixit said:

Have porridge for breakfast, A large bag of oats from Shoprite is only a few pounds and lasts me for weeks. 1 part oats 2 parts milk, microwave for two minutes or in pan and just bring to the boil.

Bits of any fruit mixed with it, yummy.

Swap the milk for water, swap the fruit for a pinch of salt - voilà, even cheaper, och aye…

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Shake me up Judy said:

Set your boiler to manual and only switch it on when necessary.

Stop washing your clothes all the time. There's no need.

You don't need to shower/bath every day. Particularly in winter. You won't smell.

There won't be much help from Government. They'll only look after the 'haves' and the 'have nots' will just have to do the best they can.

The first of these is actually very good advice.  It's easy just to let the automatic controls take over and end up heating rooms that you're not using at times that don't need it.  I'd also by some cheap digital thermometers with big displays (so you can see them at a glance) and scatter them about.  You'll be surprised how high the temperature is in some locations, just because it's what you've got used to.  Of course it will work the other way as well, and if you get too enthusiastic about reducing the temperature, warn you that you're about to hit the hypothermia zone.

(I'm not sure that I'd take all of SMUJ's other advice, though.  Just because you smell like a compost heap, it doesn't mean you'll be as warm as one).

13 hours ago, BriT said:

My last car cost me £1500. How is a replacement EV even at 10x the cost going to save me money? 

It's not going to be a perfect fit for everyone but there are cheap EVs if you look around. Cheapest was one around 3k at auction recently. Also, the higher initial cost is compensated by lower running costs in the long run. Fuel, maintenance, tax, etc. Just because your car costs little to buy doesn't mean it's cheap to run. Often the opposite is the case. 

12 minutes ago, Amadeus said:

It's not going to be a perfect fit for everyone but there are cheap EVs if you look around. Cheapest was one around 3k at auction recently. Also, the higher initial cost is compensated by lower running costs in the long run. Fuel, maintenance, tax, etc. Just because your car costs little to buy doesn't mean it's cheap to run. Often the opposite is the case. 

And this comes back to Boot Theory. If you don't have the £3,000+ initial outlay, you'll have to pay out more in the long run.

As someone else alluded to earlier in the thread, it's expensive to be poor.

17 minutes ago, Amadeus said:

I just can’t believe that your serious advice to someone to save money is to buy an EV. You need to have money (lots of it) in the first place otherwise it’s one of the most expensive options going. And I wouldn’t be buying a £3K EV at auction either as the moment the battery pack goes I’m left throwing another £5k I don’t have at a worthless secondhand car. 

• Like 3

13 hours ago, The Voice of Reason said:

Nope still don’t get it. I’m what you might call a non coffee drinker and I don’t get a “boost”  from the occasional coffee. I just sometimes fancy a coffee but not often.

I think it’s a load of nonsense.

Stu, I see you liked a post on this subject. I know it’s irrelevant now and you are probably quite happy with your current circumstances.

But your ex coffee shop premises. Coffee Exchange.

I used to  work in Athol Street some years ago and people were notoriously unwilling to go too far to buy a sandwich but your offerings did not extend far from pre packed, not very fresh ham and cheese, tuna and cheese, or ham tuna and cheese (or any other combination of these if there are any, maybe ham and tuna I guess).

You did stock Walkers pickled onion crisps which few others did, for which I thank you.

But unless it was raining heavily people would prefer to go to Appetites ( when it was good) or Taste Buds on Railway Terrace. If you had replicated their models ( salad bars etc)I think you could have cleaned up. Taste Buds in particular was/is very expensive but people seemed prepared to pay 

Then you had a display cabinet of vaping paraphernalia presumably for sale. What was that all about?

Anyway I don’t suppose it matters to you now.

Sandwiches were made fresh in our kitchen every day and kept in the chiller cabinet for 24 hrs (IIRC) and then disposed of. Usually to me for my tea...

We tried all sorts of variations when we opened as I felt the same way as you about boring butties. So at first we offered Noa sourdough versions or seeded batch with some more creative fillings. We soon learned that over 90% of people simply wanted a boring butty on white or brown and the more interesting fillings often didn't sell. We also did panini, fresh home made soups etc. Our coffee was the best anywhere (IMHO). Because I've watched too many Gordon Ramsey shows I wanted a 'signature' dish and so for a while we tried to make proper hot Steak Canadienne baps, and another time I bought a continental hot dog steamer as I thought that might be a bit different. We also did pasta dishes, bacon butties, salads...but time and time again we found we were wasting food as the 'different' stuff wasn't selling. One customer made a strong case once for Bulletproof Coffee as he and all his friends would be daily customers for it, so we bought the stock and sold about six of the bloody things.

Vape stock was again a customer suggestion and since my business partner and I were both users it seemed worth a go. Didn't sell many but did a decent trade in liquid and provided a service.

Running a coffee shop was a bucket list thing for us both. We thought we had some good ideas, but getting the staff to make them work was challenging and most times we gave up and went back to the basics we knew worked.

• Like 6

1 minute ago, Stu Peters said:

Sandwiches were made fresh in our kitchen every day and kept in the chiller cabinet for 24 hrs (IIRC) and then disposed of. Usually to me for my tea...

We tried all sorts of variations when we opened as I felt the same way as you about boring butties. So at first we offered Noa sourdough versions or seeded batch with some more creative fillings. We soon learned that over 90% of people simply wanted a boring butty on white or brown and the more interesting fillings often didn't sell. We also did panini, fresh home made soups etc. Our coffee was the best anywhere (IMHO). Because I've watched too many Gordon Ramsey shows I wanted a 'signature' dish and so for a while we tried to make proper hot Steak Canadienne baps, and another time I bought a continental hot dog steamer as I thought that might be a bit different. We also did pasta dishes, bacon butties, salads...but time and time again we found we were wasting food as the 'different' stuff wasn't selling. One customer made a strong case once for Bulletproof Coffee as he and all his friends would be daily customers for it, so we bought the stock and sold about six of the bloody things.

Vape stock was again a customer suggestion and since my business partner and I were both users it seemed worth a go. Didn't sell many but did a decent trade in liquid and provided a service.

Running a coffee shop was a bucket list thing for us both. We thought we had some good ideas, but getting the staff to make them work was challenging and most times we gave up and went back to the basics we knew worked.

Hot steak Canadienne sounds delightful. 

I happened to be in Mr Bs in Willaston a few years ago, they were offering Philadelphia as filling of the week.  Perhaps an exotic delicacy in those parts.

28 minutes ago, Stu Peters said:

Have you noticed how all the catering experts have no experience in catering... :whistling:

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Stu Peters said:

OK Stu, that’s an interesting read.

Thanks for taking the time and trouble.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, BriT said:

I just can’t believe that your serious advice to someone to save money is to buy an EV. You need to have money (lots of it) in the first place otherwise it’s one of the most expensive options going. And I wouldn’t be buying a £3K EV at auction either as the moment the battery pack goes I’m left throwing another £5k I don’t have at a worthless secondhand car. 

The battery pack doesn't "go" one day .(Well it may happen but its rare)

What happens is that there is degradation with time and so the range of the car goes down with time 

But that's still fine for the IOM as most of us do not drive long distances here. 

A  6 year old leaf ( well under  £10k ) will still easily do 70 odd miles  with aircon / heating on. Unless one is a delivery/ taxi driver etc I doubt anyone does anything close to this daily 

Most people will be doing well under half this miles  or even way lower ..

• Like 1
  • Haha 2