Lightning strikes

hissingsid

So I need a new handset two close neighbours need new routers apparently there are hundreds getting faults investigated according to my friendly Telecom engineer.   Could they not just put a lightning conductor on the boxes and stop them acting as a transformer to our properties or does it not work like that ?   

29 minutes ago, Asthehills said:

Everybody has been told for decades to unplug phones etc at the first sign of a storm.

Anyone who doesn’t who then complains their kit is fried is a bit of a silly sausage.

there are plenty of anti surge leads and the like available to plug sensitive stuff into without having to buy new stuff every storm.

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, hissingsid said:

Lesson has been learned I was advised by a MT engineer today to unplug all electrical stuff and cross my fingers next time an electric storm is forecast.   I will be taking note of this.

I thought we'd moved on from the 70's!

• Like 1

Power surging is one thing but if there is an electrical event where you have devices connected to a copper line, the cables can conduct the surge from outside and blow the device(s)

An example from 2020 - surge came through the external copper line, through the router, blew TV connected via Ethernet to the router aswell as the phones plugged into the telephone sockets.

Lightening protection on a network level exists to protect the core infrastructure.

Electrical surge protection (plugs) are easy to get hold of. Disconnecting everything from the phone line is the thing people forget to do.

Fibre doesn’t conduct externally so surge plugs should be the only thing you need.

• Like 1

A surge protector wont save you from any sort of strike.  You need a lightening arrester for that.

All a surge protector does is protect the appliance from supply surges, not strikes - two quite different things.