Good things about IOM

doc.fixit

On 8/25/2022 at 1:46 PM, doc.fixit said:

The Peel motorcycle show today, absolutely brilliant, well organised, happy, noisy and busy. Then chips and fish on the front watching the world go by, sheer bliss.

That sounds excellent doc.  Sorry I missed it.

On 8/25/2022 at 1:46 PM, doc.fixit said:

The Peel motorcycle show today, absolutely brilliant, well organised, happy, noisy and busy. Then chips and fish on the front watching the world go by, sheer bliss.

That sounds excellent doc.  Sorry I missed it.

• Like 1

On 8/25/2022 at 7:09 PM, Lxxx said:

Great when the sun is out. Not so great the other 360 days of the year.

Actually in the bad weather the place is still stupendous.  No such thing as bad weather just inappropriate clothing. 

Love the place itself to the very core, love the feeing and people here, just worry about those in charge and their worldliness to deal with the issues, most cases it is not their commitment, just their ability. 

I also love Manx dragon sausages. 

• Like 6

16 hours ago, Gladys said:

Actually in the bad weather the place is still stupendous.  No such thing as bad weather just inappropriate clothing. 

Love the place itself to the very core, love the feeing and people here, just worry about those in charge and their worldliness to deal with the issues, most cases it is not their commitment, just their ability. 

I also love Manx dragon sausages. 

Agreed. It was just tongue in cheek but I do fear for the place though. It's being kept afloat by the ingenuity of the population and the private sector, despite the government, not because of it. Tough times ahead. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

It's the only place I've ever lived where, with some regularity, you'll bump into someone who'll greet you like a good friend, address you by name, politely ask after your family (again by name) or various other aspects of your life, and yet you won't have the faintest idea who they are!

It's not just a (population) size thing, I've lived in much smaller places than this and other places around the same size or bigger, yet this has never happened to me anywhere else in the world, not once, I swear it happens almost weekly here.

I used to find it a bit disconcerting, but I actually quite like it now. When I've been away I always look forward to the first time it happens when I get back. There's something very reassuring about a complete stranger making a beeline for you in the supermarket to ask how your holiday went, it let's you know you're home.

• Like 4

On 8/25/2022 at 4:55 PM, Numbnuts said:

The fact that there's  lots of people who are very honest and return items they find or advertise to find the owners. A friend just had a young lad run after her in town to hand back £20 she had dropped. Heart warming and happens loads. 

Well sorry but this is the sort of comment that annoys me a little bit.

Its nice that this thing happens and your story  of the young lad and the £20 note thing is great.

Having lived in the UK there is also lots of people who are very honest and return things they find or advertise to find the owners.

Brilliant though it is this is not unique to the Isle of Man. It happens in the UK and I have no reason to imagine it doesn’t happen further afield.

I have  had my car radio stolen and my flat burgled whilst living in the Isle of Man. Never happened whilst I was living in the UK. Not to say it wouldn’t have but I think we can be a bit smarmy about living in a relatively crime free area ( as people living in the rural areas of the UK and the rest of the world can equally be)

It is a lovely place to live though

Edited by The Voice of Reason

1 hour ago, The Voice of Reason said:

Its nice that this thing happens and your story  of the young lad and the £20 note thing is great.

Having lived in the UK there is also lots of people who are very honest and return things they find or advertise to find the owners.

Brilliant though it is this is not unique to the Isle of Man. It happens in the UK and I have no reason to imagine it doesn’t happen further afield.

I have  had my car radio stolen and my flat burgled whilst living in the Isle of Man. Never happened whilst I was living in the UK. Not to say it wouldn’t have but I think we can be a bit smarmy about living in a relatively crime free area ( as people living in the rural areas of the UK and the rest of the world can equally be)

Not sure I said its unique to the Isle of Man. In fact I'm sure its not . What I said stands . 

Sorry for items youve had stolen . I could add I've lived here 68 years and never been burgled or had anything taken from a vehicle despite for many years had up to 5 vans full of equipment over here. I still say the amount of stuff returned over here is mind blowing. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, The Voice of Reason said:

Good point. while living in the UK I once had a van I'd lost returned to me (via the police). It no longer had a catalytic convertor, side loading door, battery, ECU or several thousand pounds worth of tools in the back, but I appreciated the gesture all the same.

• Haha 2

Hey, a really good thing about the Isle of Man is that if you are fortunate to stay in the City of Douglas you can go on the fucking piss through to  3:30am on a Sunday morning at likes of Jaks or 1886.

Then you can bawl and shout your fucking way home through the streets of the City of Douglas. 

This morning  our road played host to various drunken, crying, shouting groups, between 1:30am through to about 4:30am. Oh and not, MGP visitors but young locals.

Douglas - A City That Never Sleeps - and neither will you if you stay on the fucking promenade.

On 8/28/2022 at 11:02 AM, AOR said:

Hey, a really good thing about the Isle of Man is that if you are fortunate to stay in the City of Douglas you can go on the fucking piss through to  3:30am on a Sunday morning at likes of Jaks or 1886.

Then you can bawl and shout your fucking way home through the streets of the City of Douglas. 

This morning  our road played host to various drunken, crying, shouting groups, between 1:30am through to about 4:30am. Oh and not, MGP visitors but young locals.

Douglas - A City That Never Sleeps - and neither will you if you stay on the fucking promenade.

Another good thing about IOM is the boat in the morning! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 2

21 minutes ago, Cambon said:

Another good thing about IOM is the boat in the morning! 

Hah! I'm not sure if you mean me or the rowdy drunken louts who now regularly infest the streets of Douglas in the early hours of Sunday and Saturday mornings.

I have no intention of getting any boat in the morning but I am sickened by the continued pandering to the lowest common denominator on my Island home.

46 minutes ago, AOR said:

Hah! I'm not sure if you mean me or the rowdy drunken louts who now regularly infest the streets of Douglas in the early hours of Sunday and Saturday mornings.

I have no intention of getting any boat in the morning but I am sickened by the continued pandering to the lowest common denominator on my Island home.

This happens in every town and city all over Britain.

If you don’t like it find a nice housing estate on the outskirts or move to Ballabeg or somewhere.

Or go out and let your hair down and join them.  It sounds like they are having fun.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Asthehills said:

This happens in every town and city all over Britain.

If you don’t like it find a nice housing estate on the outskirts or move to Ballabeg or somewhere.

Or go out and let your hair down and join them.  It sounds like they are having fun.

I have lived in various cities throughout UK, The City/Town of Douglas for past 30 years - there was never this noise back in the day despite what some people insist. Up until recently licensing was only until 1:30 at a push. Yes even The Cave, Studebakers etc. 

The noise has been since the 3:30am weekend licences at Jaks and 1886, squeezed out since they were given 1:30am licences the rest of the week. It is every weekend morning  over a few hours but finally ending around 04:30.

If they were having fun I would probably just accept that things change. But they are not having fun.

No way are they having fun.

Crying, bawling, talking loudly on phones (why do some people raise their voice when using a mobile phone, the opposite if anything should apply?) "Connooooor, I foookinh lerv yuuuu" etc ...shouting, threatening "fucking" this and "fucking" that, and generally speaking loudly peppered with lots of 'fuckings' (is that a speech trait peculiar to the Isle of Man?).

Is that what you call fun? It possibly is these days. But no, I will not be "letting my hair down" and joining them. 

• Haha 3