Good things about IOM

doc.fixit

4 minutes ago, AOR said:

I have lived in various cities throughout UK, The City/Town of Douglas for past 30 years - there was never this noise back in the day despite what some people insist. Up until recently licensing was only until 1:30 at a push. Yes even The Cave, Studebakers etc. 

The noise has been since the 3:30am weekend licences at Jaks and 1886, squeezed out since they were given 1:30am licences the rest of the week. It is every weekend morning  over a few hours but finally ending around 04:30.

If they were having fun I would probably just accept that things change. But they are not having fun.

No way are they having fun.

Crying, bawling, talking loudly on phones (why do some people raise their voice when using a mobile phone, the opposite if anything should apply?) "Connooooor, I foookinh lerv yuuuu" etc ...shouting, threatening "fucking" this and "fucking" that, and generally speaking loudly peppered with lots of 'fuckings' (is that a speech trait peculiar to the Isle of Man?).

Is that what you call fun? It possibly is these days. But no, I will not be "letting my hair down" and joining them. 

Buy some ear plugs then.

Just now, Asthehills said:

Buy some ear plugs then.

It's a point that one day I may have to take on board.

Perhaps that advice should be given to all our visitors who visit the Sh@thole City that Douglas Town is rapidly descending into.

And I accept that I may have to one day move to likes of Ballabeg. (Incidentally, did you know there are many dozens of places called Ballabeg on the Isle of Man, but yes, they do tend to be quiet countryside former farmstead places).

I

7 hours ago, AOR said:

I have no intention of getting any boat in the morning but I am sickened by the continued pandering to the lowest common denominator on my Island home.

Who's pandering to them? As far as we know you're the only one that heard them, and I'm willing to be you stayed safely under your duvet rather than going out and asking them to be quiet.

This thread is about good things about the IOM, your whinging about people out enjoying themselves doesn't belong here.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, AOR said:

I have lived in various cities throughout UK, The City/Town of Douglas for past 30 years - there was never this noise back in the day despite what some people insist. Up until recently licensing was only until 1:30 at a push. Yes even The Cave, Studebakers etc. 

The noise has been since the 3:30am weekend licences at Jaks and 1886, squeezed out since they were given 1:30am licences the rest of the week. It is every weekend morning  over a few hours but finally ending around 04:30.

If they were having fun I would probably just accept that things change. But they are not having fun.

No way are they having fun.

Crying, bawling, talking loudly on phones (why do some people raise their voice when using a mobile phone, the opposite if anything should apply?) "Connooooor, I foookinh lerv yuuuu" etc ...shouting, threatening "fucking" this and "fucking" that, and generally speaking loudly peppered with lots of 'fuckings' (is that a speech trait peculiar to the Isle of Man?).

Is that what you call fun? It possibly is these days. But no, I will not be "letting my hair down" and joining them. 

I guess it’s an age thing. In my 20 somethings I would sometimes act in the way you describe. Wake up the next day feeling like shit and write the whole day off. 
Now decades on I can’t think of anything worse. I may get drunk in the comfort of my own home at a fraction of the cost, posting rubbish on manx forums, Facebook posts whatever, knowing my bed is just up the stairs.

But you’re not going to stop the younger generation going out and drinking, indulging in bad behaviour. It will always be, and always has been, something that happens. A rite of passage for them, a pain for everyone else.

You could move as has been suggested but there is no guarantee that you will have a quite life. We live in a rural area but still have to put up with a neighbours dog barking in the small hours of the morning. 

And we are not compensated by being able to buy a kebab and chips in those small hours 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, A fool and his money..... said:

Who's pandering to them? As far as we know you're the only one that heard them, and I'm willing to be you stayed safely under your duvet rather than going out and asking them to be quiet.

This thread is about good things about the IOM, your whinging about people out enjoying themselves doesn't belong here.

Those that issue the 3:30am licences are pandering to those that need alcohol.

And they are not enjoying themselves, I know that for sure.

I'm not sure what the licensing people think they are doing. They are making misery for these folk. But someone is taking their dosh so I suppose that's ok. 

2 hours ago, The Voice of Reason said:

I guess it’s an age thing. In my 20 somethings I would sometimes act in the way you describe. Wake up the next day feeling like shit and write the whole day off. 
Now decades on I can’t think of anything worse. I may get drunk in the comfort of my own home at a fraction of the cost, posting rubbish on manx forums, Facebook posts whatever, knowing my bed is just up the stairs.

But you’re not going to stop the younger generation going out and drinking, indulging in bad behaviour. It will always be, and always has been, something that happens. A rite of passage for them, a pain for everyone else.

You could move as has been suggested but there is no guarantee that you will have a quite life. We live in a rural area but still have to put up with a neighbours dog barking in the small hours of the morning. 

And we are not compensated by being able to buy a kebab and chips in those small hours 

Drunks loudly roaming the streets of Douglas each and every weekend night/early morning was never a constant back in the door. Never. Ok it happened, of course it did. But now it is regular as clockwork

Don't worry, I know about drinking and drunks. 3:30am licences for the drunk and rowdy is the licensing board -  or whatver it is called these days - taking the fucking piss

11 hours ago, AOR said:

Hah! I'm not sure if you mean me or the rowdy drunken louts who now regularly infest the streets of Douglas in the early hours of Sunday and Saturday mornings.

I have no intention of getting any boat in the morning but I am sickened by the continued pandering to the lowest common denominator on my Island home.

The answer was very simple, and not directed. 

I enjoy the fact that I can go over there every once in a while and remind myself how lucky we are to be living here.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Cambon said:

The answer was very simple, and not directed. 

I enjoy the fact that I can go over there every once in a while and remind myself how lucky we are to be living here.

Not unreasonably, I would like to be able to enjoy a peaceful night's sleep and not be woken up by inebriated hyped up drunks 2:00- 4:00am every Sunday and Saturday morning.

The Isle of Man has been a late night revelling spot for a couple of hundred years (listen to Terry Cringle's History Man on Manx Radio this week - all about The Derby Castle) but that was always done alongside the not-unreasonable expectation that everyone else expects a peaceful night after midnight or so. 

There are too many people in Isle of Man Government pulling the strings and making the laws who simply don't have a wide understanding of the Island.

In this matter it appears they are seeking the mystical Things For Young Folk To Do, to attract them here. ie Get fucking pissed up in a couple of very late night spots in the newly made City of Douglas

Talk about throwing the baby out with the bath water. 

• Like 3

The island is a great place to live and work spoilt only by the way it is governed and other vested interests.

It's history and countryside and the ordinary, everyday way of life is idyllic, I don't know any other way to define what I mean. 

The meddling and  interfering make life less amenable, or the alteration for alteration's sake or so called attempts at updating are just awful, such as the airport car park or the radar system

Leave what's good and maintain and nurture the infrastructure and only change what is necessary  such as keeping abreast of medical needs, policing the roads, completely reviewing govt. and it's methodology and making CS and politicians responsible for their actions and open to sanction.

I'm sure folks can find lots of stuff they disagree with but at the bottom of it is a wonderful home for us all.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, doc.fixit said:

I'm sure folks can find lots of stuff they disagree with but at the bottom of it is a wonderful home for us all.

It is indeed, but when that is being unreasonably threatened do we do something or do we just let it happen, as long as we are ok?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, forestboy said:

Yes from Dandara. 

An interesting question for someone to carefully word if they could be bothered and send to the FoI gang would be to find out exactly how much Dandara have received over the years in countryside care payments. 

• Like 1