Heating costs

Asthehills

I use oil filled radiators to take the chill of a room before lighting my multi fuel stove around tea time, oil takes care of the hot water and a quick blast in the morning if it is freezing.   A bit of a mish mash but combined with getting up a bit later and going to bed earlier and hopefully a mild winter all will be well 🤫.  Hopefully  🤣

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, hissingsid said:

I use oil filled radiators to take the chill of a room before lighting my multi fuel stove around tea time, oil takes care of the hot water and a quick blast in the morning if it is freezing.   A bit of a mish mash but combined with getting up a bit later and going to bed earlier and hopefully a mild winter all will be well 🤫.  Hopefully  🤣

If it’s a mild winter the eco loons on here will be blaming climate change. If it’s freezing, loads of snow, frosty nights and icy ground then the eco loons on here will be blaming climate change. 

• Thanks 3
  • Haha 5
  • Sad 2

Listening to the NMP news this morning, Imagine my surprise when the forecast for energy us was announced. 

£2800 was the cost of projected energy use on the island for the year, yet on the big island it was for £3700. Forgive me if I am wrong but due to having the most expensive costing gas/electricity, are we

A) going to be huddled round a candle for warmth and light.

B) global warming will be such we can all sleep outside naked and live on cabbage leaves/alfalfa thus not needing gas/electric

Which is it to be. Because I honestly can not see us using less energy per person than the big island and as we have more expensive gas/electric I just can not work this out, unless of course they have there sums wrong, but we all know that could not be.

Edited by Dirty Buggane

19 minutes ago, Dirty Buggane said:

Listening to the NMP news this morning, Imagine my surprise when the forecast for energy us was announced. 

£2800 was the cost of projected energy use on the island for the year, yet on the big island it was for £3700. Forgive me if I am wrong but due to having the most expensive costing gas/electricity, are we

A) going to be huddled round a candle for warmth and light.

B) global warming will be such we can all sleep outside naked and live on cabbage leaves/alfalfa thus not needing gas/electric

Which is it to be. Because I honestly can not see us using less energy per person than the big island and as we have more expensive gas/electric I just can not work this out, unless of course they have there sums wrong, but we all know that could not be.

What figures are you basing us having the most expensive gas and electricity on?  I would be interested to see them as I guess others would.

You might have been right 18 months ago but if you think that is going to be the case this winter then you need to educate yourself and then educate all the others who are moaning on social media with realising that we will actually be better off than most this winter (in Britain, anyway)

Any figures would be meaningless as they are all produced by the people charging them and as such will show them in the best light possible. I am basing my comment on the cost of the charges a relative pays on a duel fuel charges for a similar property in Liverpool. What are your sources.  

• Haha 1

22 minutes ago, Dirty Buggane said:

Any figures would be meaningless as they are all produced by the people charging them and as such will show them in the best light possible. I am basing my comment on the cost of the charges a relative pays on a duel fuel charges for a similar property in Liverpool. What are your sources.  

Figures would be factual , not meaningless.

Anyway, try this for a start.

https://www.ofgem.gov.uk/sites/default/files/2022-08/Default tariff cap level - 1 October 2022 - 31 December 2022.pdf

We are already paying less than a lot of people in the UK and that gap is likely to grow over the next few months yet people are still failing to grasp the facts and acting like it IOM government and Manx Gas fault

Due to the fact that government are giving the MUA £23,000,000.

Sorry we the taxpayers are giving the money, so the figures are misleading as we are paying for the electric twice. Then we the manx tax payer will have to pay the loan back through higher electric tariffs.

• Like 2

I saw somewhere the other day that the Chinese have just signed up for £35Bn worth of Russian energy. With figures like that, one would doubt that Putin will be sweating over European sanctions in respect of Russian energy. This situation could go on well beyond March 2023.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Asthehills said:

Figures would be factual , not meaningless.

Anyway, try this for a start.

https://www.ofgem.gov.uk/sites/default/files/2022-08/Default tariff cap level - 1 October 2022 - 31 December 2022.pdf

We are already paying less than a lot of people in the UK and that gap is likely to grow over the next few months yet people are still failing to grasp the facts and acting like it IOM government and Manx Gas fault

If IOM Government had invested in renewable energy generation over the past decade as they have been urged to do then we wouldn't be in this mess

Instead they have thrown taxpayers money at the CS/PS establishment and badly managed capital projects such as the most expensive shed on Merseyside and the promenade into major roadway scheme

• Like 5

We will have cheaper electricity than the Brits until March next year. Considerably cheaper, actually. And then we'll likely have the most expensive electricity in the vicinity until 19 years from then.

Doesn't help that the set price for Manx Gas allows them to make ridiculous profits.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1