Jump to content

IOM government conference


Banker
 Share

Recommended Posts

55 minutes ago, Non-Believer said:

Other than an electoral mandate from the people of Ramsey, what qualifications does Dr Allanson hold in matters fiscal?

I assumed he would be of above average intelligence and question the machinations of the civil service.  Putting his name to the 500k visitors a year nonsense would suggest otherwise.

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

49 minutes ago, Wavey Davey said:

We’ve just put our grandchildren into debt just to buy £400m worth of bullshit. 

Putting future generations into debt is a trait that recent IoM Governments have had few peers in.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Non-Believer said:

Putting future generations into debt is a trait that recent IoM Governments have had few peers in.

All I have come out of the conference with is a sense that we’re totally fucked. We’re this and we’re that and actually we’re absolutely nothing of any substance. Hollow strategies delivered by load of guaranteed salary bell ends telling everyone else that they should be entrepreneurial to grow the economy while supporting a system that completely strangles everything you try to do in red tape. Next year they should offer attendees some crystal meth to take before they go in so that we’re all on the same wavelength. 

  • Like 7
  • Thanks 4
  • Haha 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Banker said:

Well having qualified as a doctor means he certainly has a much higher intellect, able to understand complex issues more than the vast majority of MHKs & general public so suppose that’s a start 

Having empathy with the GMP he hasn’t got. He again state’s Government can’t help everyone or businesses - difficult to cater support for everyone in times of crisis, the latest shite spouted by Allinson to the NPM. So if one of IOMG favoured pet contractors or  suppliers of goods or services, coffees, cakes, sandwiches, pasties etc you will be well supported. Any other business will have to sink or swim ………… survival of the fittest, dog eat dog. Not a nice way to treat people, and businesses. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, Non-Believer said:

Did he happen to mention anything about how they propose to recoup the still rising costs or is that another Great Unmentionable amongst the pigs on the wing?

Other than saying that it will be a great asset for the Island when it is finished, he did not elaborate.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Non-Believer said:

Putting future generations into debt is a trait that recent IoM Governments have had few peers in.

But this bond literally seems to have been a joke. They obviously had no intension of ever using it for what it had allegedly been issued for. We’ll still be in the same situation as we are in 5 years time in relation to “sustainability” (a completely bullshit word) and the money will have been spent and then we’ll simply rinse and repeat. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, SleepyJoe said:


We also need to know what adequate green credentials are to these companies

At the conference no one articulated which ESG criteria these companies would use.

Two other (relevant) things that I noted are:

1. It seems that they plan a second electricity interconnector with the UK installed and operational by 2030. Once this has happened our (gas powered) power station will be switched off. Switching off the power station will result in a significant reduction in CO2 emissions and therefore significantly boost the IOM’s green profile/ credentials.

2. The IOMG intends to cut emissions by the services sector by 30% over the next 10 years. I did not hear any quantified statements/ commitments to reducing CO2 emissions in any other sectors of our economy such as manufacturing, transport, etc.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

They could sell our £500M Power Station off brick by brick as souvenirs then. With luck that might raise enough to clear the MUA debt and give the GMP a bit of respite.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, code99 said:

At the conference no one articulated which ESG criteria these companies would use.

Two other (relevant) things that I noted are:

1. It seems that they plan a second electricity interconnector with the UK installed and operational by 2030. Once this has happened our (gas powered) power station will be switched off. Switching off the power station will result in a significant reduction in CO2 emissions and therefore significantly boost the IOM’s green profile/ credentials.

2. The IOMG intends to cut emissions by the services sector by 30% over the next 10 years. I did not hear any quantified statements/ commitments to reducing CO2 emissions in any other sectors of our economy such as manufacturing, transport, etc.

Was there any mention of how much the interconnector is going to cost? Pub talk is billions and about £20k per head contribution

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, english zloty said:

Was there any mention of how much the interconnector is going to cost? Pub talk is billions and about £20k per head contribution

Unfortunately I did not hear any details of when the interconnector will go in or how much it would cost. But given that this is going to be a major project, the cost must surely be in the millions...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...