DOI preparing for Peel chaos

Manx Bean

3 hours ago, 2112 said:

He wants to rescue the DOIs reputation ……………

Crookall said something similar upon taking the DOI reins. His predecessors probably said the same.

All that ended well....

How much time is Messiah Thomas devoting to the Housing and Communities Board? He must devote every working and waking hour slavishly pondering over great matters of national importance. Personally I doubt the new renovated old nurses home, will be completed to time or budget. I say this as I have noticed recently a lack of activity. If the issue of housing isn’t addressed then Messiah Thomas won’t stand a chance in the next election. 

27 minutes ago, Non-Believer said:

Crookall said something similar upon taking the DOI reins. His predecessors probably said the same.

All that ended well....

He did as did Ray Harmer. Thomas is generally an astute man and I hope they don’t disappoint him but the odds aren’t in his favour. I fear once he unleashes those idiots in central Douglas it’s going to bounce back on him badly and Corlett will use it to her advantage. 

3 hours ago, 2112 said:

... I doubt the renovation of the old nurses home will be completed on time or within budget. I say this as I have noticed recently a lack of activity...

Unless you've taken to standing outside the building and scrutinising the progress of that project on a daily basis, lack of observable external activity would be more than likely down to the internal refurbishment being the largest phase of the development. Essential stuff like asbestos removal (it can't just be ripped-out in the normal way as you must know, and other trades cannot continue to work whilst it's being removed and before it's officially signed-off as clear), there'll be a requirement for the installation of temporary power and lighting, fire alarms and water supplies to be provided throughout the site so that the old power, fire and water systems can be safely decommissioned.

Just saying... 

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, offshoremanxman said:

All Thomas seems to be doing is buttering up the DOI as his fellow MHK in Douglas Central (who topped the poll) has been whipping up the central Douglas residents about her 20 is plenty campaign to shut down half of residential Douglas and if the DOI fuck all that up, which they will anyway, he’ll not be popular amongst Corletts voter base. I wish he could see what they’re setting him up for. Maybe he knows which is why he’s trying to support their corner so much. But I’d guess he wanted the DOI because of the housing responsibilities and he thought he could butter them up to implement properly what a lot of Corletts voter base has been asking for. When the inevitable clusterfuck project is unleashed and nobody can park anywhere near where they live and everyone is pissed off about how inconvenient, unpopular and disastrous the implementation has been he may well regret being so publicly supportive.

I haven't got the faintest idea of what this actually means.    Whether you agree with it or not, I can't see how reducing a speed limit would actually mean "nobody can park anywhere near where they live".  I believe most people accomplish parking their car at speeds under 20mph.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Just now, Roger Mexico said:

I haven't got the faintest idea of what this actually means.    Whether you agree with it or not, I can't see how reducing a speed limit would actually mean "nobody can park anywhere near where they live".  I believe most people accomplish parking their car at speeds under 20mph.

Just wait until the solution proposed by the DOI becomes clear. You assume that it will be logical. The likelihood is that it will not be. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

Because it would be done by creating "bottlenecks" everywhere!

19 hours ago, finlo said:

Because it would be done by creating "bottlenecks" everywhere!

That is standard practice for the DOI as you say bottlenecks all over the place to ‘manage’ traffic flow and the installation clear ways where people won’t be able to park. 

27 minutes ago, Banker said:

Mr Moore said: ‘When you did the first presentation, we all came, we all spoke and we made comments. Now admittedly we didn’t put a full objection in, but we made comments to your team. But the fact of the matter is that the comments we made went nowhere, they were binned instantly. 

You didn’t write anything down and adjust the scheme to the points that were made, all that was, similar to tonight is this what you’re getting and there was no concern about our points of view at the time.’

So basically the standard M.O from that arrogant prick Robinson and his team then. 

• Like 2

Thomas was just as bad  at the meeting  i  Peel   one local woman called him out for being so ill mannered ,  like most government consultation exercises ,  does not matter what the local opinion is  or the difficulties they face  the DOI knows best !   the scheme is just a waste of money and valuable resources  that could have been used  elsewhere !  

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2