DOI preparing for Peel chaos

Manx Bean

Didn't the peel quay go thorough planning? Surely, like Ramsey did, the locals could have raised their objections then?

Waiting until the job is well started, a month or maybe two by now, is a little late. First of all any delays or changes will automatically require the contractor to be compensated as it would be fair and also written into the contract.

Or is this a case of the Hitchhikers Guide where the plans were posted in a flooded unlit basement with no staircase in the Peel Commisioners HQ?

the scheme and plans went out to consultation  during lockdown  for covid , many people expressed concern  at the loss of parking  and what the department were trying to achieve in a conservation area  by importing re constituted pink  stone and massive curbs particuiarly  on spit corner ,   but allegedly the department took no notice  ,and its even alleged  they are in breach of governments  guidelines and policy  on conservation , 

the loss of car parking on the east quay  is to be made up by turfing boats  and trailers off the MNH owned car park behind the house of Mananin  to make space ,  in the meantime work is taking place on the south side of the harbour next to the fishermen's compounds   to reinforce  an area so the DOI can keep the cofferdam that is used to retain the water in the marina  while  it is being serviced  , this will mean the loss of several parking spaces there ,  and prior to this the cofferdam was kept on a trailer on the MNH carpark  and brought down when required , 

Peel is becoming a no go area ,  poor parking  and quickly loosing it unique character , and its all down to the Philistines  in the DOI , where sadly its their way or no way !

• Like 5

7 hours ago, Omobono said:

the scheme and plans went out to consultation  during lockdown  for covid , many people expressed concern  at the loss of parking  and what the department were trying to achieve in a conservation area  by importing re constituted pink  stone and massive curbs particuiarly  on spit corner ,   but allegedly the department took no notice  ,and its even alleged  they are in breach of governments  guidelines and policy  on conservation , 

the loss of car parking on the east quay  is to be made up by turfing boats  and trailers off the MNH owned car park behind the house of Mananin  to make space ,  in the meantime work is taking place on the south side of the harbour next to the fishermen's compounds   to reinforce  an area so the DOI can keep the cofferdam that is used to retain the water in the marina  while  it is being serviced  , this will mean the loss of several parking spaces there ,  and prior to this the cofferdam was kept on a trailer on the MNH carpark  and brought down when required , 

Peel is becoming a no go area ,  poor parking  and quickly loosing it unique character , and its all down to the Philistines  in the DOI , where sadly its their way or no way !

When they set up their presentations to show off their latest plans, pttt. The one in Ramsey, they set up next to the library, and sent someone down in working hours, to hear what people (Those not working and paying for it, obvs) thought. On the Saturday, I asked a librarian how it went, and she told me the fella got a hard time, as you can imagine seeing the plan was clearly unpopular and, err, shit. In the papers I read the doi statement that it was all a huge success and how supportive the people were to their plans.

Essentially, they are incompetent, lying shits.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Omobono said:

A typical DOI “improvement” then that will be chalked off as a success by the management. More people potentially put out of business in a recession. Bonuses all round! 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

58 minutes ago, Hoops said:

When they set up their presentations to show off their latest plans, pttt. The one in Ramsey, they set up next to the library, and sent someone down in working hours, to hear what people (Those not working and paying for it, obvs) thought. On the Saturday, I asked a librarian how it went, and she told me the fella got a hard time, as you can imagine seeing the plan was clearly unpopular and, err, shit. In the papers I read the doi statement that it was all a huge success and how supportive the people were to their plans.

Essentially, they are incompetent, lying shits.

I think it’s a case of ‘we know best’ and ‘you will do as we tell you’, and civil servants who like to throw their overblown egos and authority around. 

15 hours ago, Omobono said:

Thomas was just as bad  at the meeting  i  Peel   one local woman called him out for being so ill mannered ,  like most government consultation exercises ,  does not matter what the local opinion is  or the difficulties they face  the DOI knows best !   the scheme is just a waste of money and valuable resources  that could have been used  elsewhere !  

I find Minister Thomas has gone rude, arrogant and condescending. He was once, personable, listening and engaging, but sadly he has been brainwashed by the IOMG machine, civil servants and seduced by his powerful all encompassing role, and being the Messiah to all the islands ills. 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, 2112 said:

I find Minister Thomas has gone rude, arrogant and condescending. He was once, personable, listening and engaging, but sadly he has been brainwashed by the IOMG machine, civil servants and seduced by his powerful all encompassing role, and being the Messiah to all the islands ills. 

I’m not sure that’s the case but if so when the whole thing inevitably comes crashing down as it did for Baker/Harmer/Gawne etc etc it’s going to be a big learning curve. It’s a dangerous, toxic, department full of some of the most aggressively arrogant people you will ever meet.