Is this the answer to rising energy costs

Lilly

https://energiesprong.org/about/

Is this the answer to having almost free energy bills. I'm wondering why we haven't considered this on the Island or is it just not possible here.

This was on BBC radio 4 on Saturday, apparently Finland is using this technology successfully.  UK is using it l believe in a housing association. I would also like the option to do this especially as my roof needs replacing shortly, l want to be able to keep my house warm and make it  affordable. I wonder why we are not exploring these possibilities and why?

I know very little about this sort of thing but would like the opportunity to understand if it's workable on the isle of man? And if anyone else thinks it could work here?

Thank you Lilly 

It’s doable, but like the link says pretty much assumes you spend what you were going to spend over the next 30 years in energy and maintenance to fund the expensive installation.

If you want to pay to have similar done here then it is perfectly achievable, but is a big upfront expense.

Like most things like life if you have a wedge in the bank you can save long term.  Most of us don’t and can’t.

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, Asthehills said:

It’s doable, but like the link says pretty much assumes you spend what you were going to spend over the next 30 years in energy and maintenance to fund the expensive installation.

If you want to pay to have similar done here then it is perfectly achievable, but is a big upfront expense.

Like most things like life if you have a wedge in the bank you can save long term.  Most of us don’t and can’t.

Yes you are perfectly correct, however, l was of the understanding that this is achievable a longterm loan by the company it is put on the property not the individual, so the energy savings pay the loan which are also offsett by reselling back to the grid. Apologies if l have misunderstood this.

17 minutes ago, SleepyJoe said:

Jason Moorhouse has a question about grant funding for home energy generation in Tynwald on Tuesday

Thank you,  like many other people l'm really worried about energy costs, never before, have l had to even consider this, a big change.  I  do hope someone is listening.

6 hours ago, SleepyJoe said:

It would be a most positive if Mr Moorhouse were to press for acceptance of home wind energy generators which I think are not presently permitted in urban areas

These are not fart machines but things that look like this:

Home | Halcium

Ah yes The PowerPod the home wind turbine, its another option the output is suppose to be alot more efficient than solar, but cost which has rightly pointed out is main factor, can anyone actually afford it and will you gain anything.

6 hours ago, Lilly said:

Ah yes The PowerPod the home wind turbine, its another option the output is suppose to be alot more efficient than solar, but cost which has rightly pointed out is main factor, can anyone actually afford it and will you gain anything.

For it to pay, anything like wind, solar, geothermal etc, needs to feed in tariff to the grid. The feed in tariff rate here is so poor that it makes it non viable. 

If you want to have a home renewable source you need to want to do it for the love of it at worst. At best expect it to take years and years to pay back. The same applies to extreme insulation. 

6 hours ago, Lilly said:

https://www.manxutilities.im/your-home/electricity/domestic-tariffs/

So you pay 22p per unit for your electricity but MUA will only pay you 8.2p if you sell it back.

Of course when you are using electricity you offset the cost, but like I say, you need to be able to export it back to make it pay. That's because you don't use electricity all the time so it needs somewhere to go when you are not using it.

Sorry if it's a bit complicated 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Happier diner said:

That's because you don't use electricity all the time so it needs somewhere to go when you are not using it.

doesn't it just go into your battery bank or get wasted as heat energy once your batteries are fully charged?

• Like 2

The problem with schemes like  this is that they require planning  and organisation. The energy-selling companies have almost zero interest because  it would simply diminish their market. Local government doesn’t give a **** about anything. Which means that the individual has to start from scratch and do all the research, then find a reliable supplier who won’t rip them off, then finance it, then manage the installation. Most people do not have the money, the time or the expertise to make it work properly……………

• Like 4

My neighbor is actually in the process of getting solar panels, batteries and heat pump installed now; even bought an electric car in anticipation.  He's rented the property for about 10 years, but finally decided to buy it last year and is doing some fairly major work on the place now.   Solar Panels are getting fitted in the next couple of weeks and I'll be interested to see how it all works out for him.  I'll try and put some updates on here.  

Allegedly the amount of solar he is getting is going to be enough to supply him with full electricity except in maybe Dec, Jan and Feb.  He claims he'll still get some power from them but he is estimating paying maybe £200 - £300 for electricity for the whole winter and that's it for the year. 

Panels and batteries are costing him £40k.  Every day power/gas prices go up reduce the amount of time it will take him to pay it off in savings. 

• Like 1