Is this the answer to rising energy costs

Lilly

10 hours ago, Lilly said:

Ah yes The PowerPod the home wind turbine, its another option the output is suppose to be alot more efficient than solar, but cost which has rightly pointed out is main factor, can anyone actually afford it and will you gain anything.

Can't find a price for them but other home wind turbines seem to range from £130 to £550 before VAT

3 hours ago, Happier diner said:

For it to pay, anything like wind, solar, geothermal etc, needs to feed in tariff to the grid. The feed in tariff rate here is so poor that it makes it non viable. 

If you want to have a home renewable source you need to want to do it for the love of it at worst. At best expect it to take years and years to pay back. The same applies to extreme insulation. 

One thing I have noticed is that in some areas power authorities will pay you to allow them to store electricity on your Tesla Powerwall

• Like 1

5 hours ago, SleepyJoe said:

Can't find a price for them but other home wind turbines seem to range from £130 to £550 before VAT

Yes l don't think they have actually said how much the pod is going to cost? But someone might know? I think expensive, a write up about the pod seem unable to confirm prices but mentioned high figures as a possibility. 

1 hour ago, Happier diner said:

Does Lilly have a Tesla powerwall?😅

No l don't, l wish l did have one. 

I'm just exploring the options for getting my house energy affordable for me.  In a few years l will be retired and l'm extremely concerned about costs of heating, energy and environmental effects of the decisions l will make now, l would have liked some more choices.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, The Phantom said:

My neighbor is actually in the process of getting solar panels, batteries and heat pump installed now

(Snip)

Panels and batteries are costing him £40k.  Every day power/gas prices go up reduce the amount of time it will take him to pay it off in savings. 

That seems incredibly high, is that including the heat pump too? I have had a quote for £5000 for installing solar panels on my property, which should meet all my electric needs.

11 minutes ago, Raffles said:

That seems incredibly high, is that including the heat pump too? I have had a quote for £5000 for installing solar panels on my property, which should meet all my electric needs.

Hi Raffles, could you please pm me the company who have quoted for installation of solar panels, it seems a very reasonable price.  Thank you. Lilly

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Lilly said:

Hi Raffles, could you please pm me the company who have quoted for installation of solar panels, it seems a very reasonable price.  Thank you. Lilly

Having recently dealt with several solar installers £1000 per Kilowatt seems to be the ballpark.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, quilp said:

A friend's just told me his wife returned from work to say that her company, a local financial house, has donated £1000 to every employee to help with energy costs.

Way to go... 

Generous in the extreme 👏

Unfortunately, whilst it gives some respite it's still ultimately passing money to the bastards who are causing the problem in the first instance.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Non-Believer said:

Generous in the extreme 👏

Unfortunately, whilst it gives some respite it's still ultimately passing money to the bastards who are causing the problem in the first instance.

Plus I suspect it will trigger benefit in kind tax to the government as well 

So that's £200 back to the government coffers 

PS: please correct me if I'm wrong about this.. 

1 hour ago, Raffles said:

Including batteries and heat pump. He's looking to go fully off grid with exception of a few months in the depths of winter.