Is this the answer to rising energy costs

Lilly

31 minutes ago, mad_manx said:

Plus I suspect it will trigger benefit in kind tax to the government as well 

So that's £200 back to the government coffers 

PS: please correct me if I'm wrong about this.. 

Yes, it is subject to taxation. And, that company must have 40+ employees. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, finlo said:

Unless they've recently had a change of policy the MUA will get arsey about that!

How so? 

Basing this entirely off a chat with him. But only planning on drawing power and gas Dec, Jan and Feb. The rest of the time 'off grid' metaphorically if not literally. 

Isn't it just the same as say a second holiday home, only using utilities for a few months of the year and dormant the rest? 

2 minutes ago, finlo said:

Unless they've recently had a change of policy the MUA will get arsey about that!

How so? 

Basing this entirely off a chat with him. But only planning on drawing power and gas Dec, Jan and Feb. The rest of the time 'off grid' metaphorically if not literally. 

Isn't it just the same as say a second holiday home, only using utilities for a few months of the year and dormant the rest? 

11 minutes ago, The Phantom said:

How so? 

Well the last time I enquired about self generation with them as a back up I was told to "sling my hook"!

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Happier diner said:

Government has just donated £26M of our own money to keep electricity prices down.

A total waste of money IMO as it could have been spent on something more long term. 

It's a bit of a difficult one for me personally and many others l suspect. I have would have liked to be able to cut my own energy bills  using solar or other installations it has to be achievable for everyone.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Happier diner said:

Government has just donated £26M of our own money to keep electricity prices down.

A total waste of money IMO as it could have been spent on something more long term. 

I agree. It’s the equivalent of me going to Conister Bank and taking out a £3K loan to pay my winter fuel bill and paying it off over the next 10 years. It’s fairly pointless. You’re best just turning the heating off.  

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Raffles said:

That seems incredibly high, is that including the heat pump too? I have had a quote for £5000 for installing solar panels on my property, which should meet all my electric needs.

Did a bit more hunting on costs this morning looking at a couple of local installers, as I'm curious now and I don't want to sound like a luddite when I interrogate him. 

He is a techie that works from home with 3 teenage kids so probably using a fair bit of juice. Also he’s just purchased an electric car so we could assume he’s going to be around the higher end of the 5-10KW for an average UK home.

As @finlo said it seems to be about £1K per KW of solar = £10K for 10KW solar higher end of what would be required, but would seem to ensure that they definitely have enough generation in all but the depths of winter.

£10K for a Tesla Powerwall that will store your generated power and allow charging of the car etc.

£10K for a heat pump.

Bearing in mind this is all approximate from online searches this morning.  Plus another 25% / £10K to allow for my ball park figures, fitting, additional building works (inevitable project creep) maybe some other building bits and pieces.

To re-iterate this £40K seems to be able to make his house (and car) virtually off-grid for the year.  Would have to see how effective it would be in Dec, Jan, Feb.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

7 hours ago, The Phantom said:

Did a bit more hunting on costs this morning looking at a couple of local installers, as I'm curious now and I don't want to sound like a luddite when I interrogate him. 

He is a techie that works from home with 3 teenage kids so probably using a fair bit of juice. Also he’s just purchased an electric car so we could assume he’s going to be around the higher end of the 5-10KW for an average UK home.

As @finlo said it seems to be about £1K per KW of solar = £10K for 10KW solar higher end of what would be required, but would seem to ensure that they definitely have enough generation in all but the depths of winter.

£10K for a Tesla Powerwall that will store your generated power and allow charging of the car etc.

£10K for a heat pump.

Bearing in mind this is all approximate from online searches this morning.  Plus another 25% / £10K to allow for my ball park figures, fitting, additional building works (inevitable project creep) maybe some other building bits and pieces.

To re-iterate this £40K seems to be able to make his house (and car) virtually off-grid for the year.  Would have to see how effective it would be in Dec, Jan, Feb.

But you still wouldn’t be off grid , a power wall only supplies 5kwh at most 

assuming it’s fully charged so don’t boil the kettle when your cooking Sunday lunch 

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Markduc said:

But you still wouldn’t be off grid , a power wall only supplies 5kwh at most 

assuming it’s fully charged so don’t boil the kettle when your cooking Sunday lunch 

Battery storage really isn't worth the price you pay. It has a short lifetime and a long payback period. Your better of dumping excess energy into a hot water tank/ buffer tank. A fraction of the price for a much greater return.

• Like 2